Workshop #1

Posted by: Hachiman

Workshop #1 - 08/12/01 09:51 AM

We had a suggestion to start a workshop of an attack in detail where we discuss what can or should be done in that situation based on the body mechanics involved. I don't know if this is what y'all were thinking of but here it goes.

You open a tall wooden gate door (you can't see what's on the other side) and find there are 3 guys waiting for you. They are in line one behind the other and the first one immediately hits you with a right hook then tackles you to the ground. You manage to roll on top of him and are able to maintain some control over the situation with him but behind and to your left is the second guy who picks up a board and is threatening to hit you with it. You are on your knees on top of the first guy with his head in your hands. What would you do?

Hachiman
Posted by: KoshoBob

Re: Workshop #1 - 08/13/01 08:05 AM

Straight to the $64,000 question, huh?

Well since this seems to be a life or death situation, strike or crush the larynx, roll out to the right side and get on your feet if you can. Run. If running is not an option, at least you are on your feet and can hopefully face them on at a time.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Workshop #1 - 08/13/01 09:52 AM

Id have to agree with KoshoBob. Not original I know , but frankly in my opinion its the best course of action. Finish the attacker beneath you with a strike relative to the situation - be that a laranx strike, pulling his head onto a forearm strike or indeed smashing it down onto the concrete with both your hands. Next you have two choices really. Firstly you can take the safe(r)option, role right and come up facing the attacker with the board, then either run or at least face him with the barrier of his downed colleague between you. Secondly, you might concider timing a role left to bring you inside the arc of his swing (pref a backswing as it's less powerful) and taking the attack to him with lots of noise and aggression. From then its onto number three etc but thats a different post.
Regds and good training

Re: Workshop #1 - 08/13/01 05:21 PM

Very good posts so far. Running is not an option since you are in a fenced in back yard and the door to the house is locked (6ft wood fence on 3 sides, house on the fourth). Rolling right was a good thought as well as keeping the disabled first attacker in between you and the second attacker. The problem is the second attacker is waiting for you to divert your attention to disable the first attacker so that he can whack you with the board. Rolling left might work especially if you can next to the fence so the board would be unable to hit you unless the guy moved but then you still have the first attacker to deal with unless you do take him out.

I will say that this really happened to me BMAT (before martial arts training) and I turned my attention to the first attacker to take him out and got whacked in the head by that board. I've had lots of hind site to it. [IMG]http://bbs.fightingarts.com/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: judderman

Re: Workshop #1 - 08/13/01 06:38 PM

Interesting.
Realistically speaking, the very second you gain any sort of control over your first attacker, you are going to get a plank around the back of the head.
If you are lucky, the plank is just to remove you from the first person, not actually to seriously damage you.
If you were aware enough of your second attacker, then I would suggest forget the guy on the floor and launch yourself backwards, thus limiting the damage and perhaps managing to floor the second opponent. Your problem is then the third.

At the end of the day, at 3-1 the chances are, you are going to get a kicking. Sometimes if you fight back, the beating is more severe.
But my question is this, what happened to you after you got hit with the board??
Perhaps this was the best defence, as you are alive to ask these questions??
Philosophical I know, but then sometimes what your natural defences do is better than you realise.

Re: Workshop #1 - 08/14/01 05:32 PM

That is an interesting point that I have never considered. I was knocked out for not very long at all. I remember coming to and being kicked and by that time neighbors had discovered what was happening and scared them off. Thanks for the input.
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: Workshop #1 - 06/16/04 08:14 PM

Ok now to the matter at hand. First you should do a strike to the temple or the throat, but not hard enough to kill! Dismount (don't roll) to your left while performing a left shuto block ( arm parrallel to the ground elbow at 90% and the right hand protecting at the body) assuming that your opponent is right handed and using a board he is going to use both hands and swing from either right to left or straight down the shuto should cover you for either of these. rush him immediatly and kick to the lead knee with your right leg (toe kick or round kick your preference) grab at the wrist and destroy the elbow, then throw toward your first opponent creating either a pile up or at least an obstacle. Turn to your right doing a right shuto, if your third attacker is still up for the fight then you should reply with a circular step with your left foot to again put him between you and your other opponents and at the same time use a left lead hand elbow breaking technique. This should put you in a position to either break the elbow or block at the inside of the elbow, or be inside the knee if it is a kicking atack, therefore rendering it weak and easy to grab.
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: Workshop #1 - 07/26/05 02:32 PM

As you rise to meet the second attacker, put your foot on the first attackers neck/throat.
then launch for the second one to close the gap. if you launch from the first guys throat, you will be attacking and defending at the same time.
Whenever I have to go to the ground I try if at all possible to land hard on top of my opponent with a knee.
you still have your hands for defense, and can maintain some modicum of mobility.(from a kneel to a roll for example)