The mechanics of technique

Posted by: Brewer

The mechanics of technique - 02/01/01 11:49 AM

I feel that mechanics of technique are of the utmost importance in the arts. Take for example, when one is delivering a reverse punch in karate.If you allow yourself to let your elbow come away from your side,you are throwing it out of alignment,therefore loosing,timing,cordination,speed and power.All body alignment is important in technique and the mechanics thereof,without it you would not be able to achieve the Harmony of motion.
Brewer
Your brother in the Arts
Posted by: Hachiman

Re: The mechanics of technique - 06/25/01 08:34 AM

I agree. The mechanics of techniques are very important. Besides losing timing, speed, and power, you increase the probability of injuring yourself. It is critical that techniques be taught and learned right as soon as possible in training because the longer one practices a bad habit, the harder it is to correct the improper technique.
Posted by: judderman

Re: The mechanics of technique - 08/13/01 06:41 PM

Technique is the root of all that you do. Poor technique will develope a poor martial artist, and if this is allowed to continue it will develope a poor person alongside it.

budo.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: The mechanics of technique - 08/13/01 08:07 PM

Well said all. The other real problem is that if an individual with poor technique in some areas advances up the grades, they become a focus of attention for beginners / junior grades who might well copy the poor technique being displayed.On the basis
of - relative grade = relative perfection. In this way ,poor technique is a desease that can spread.
Regds and good training
Posted by: nuthinflash

Re: The mechanics of technique - 04/08/02 08:11 PM

ok people, i'll bite.

1) Poor technique does not make for a poor person. I don't see the correlation between a good MA technician and a good person. I have met PLENTY of dorks that do Karate and lots of excellent people who have never entertained the idea of stepping into a Dojo.
Fair enough on the comment that it'll make a "Poor Martial Artist" in the long run- that is, if you judge a martial artist on the quality of his/her basic techniques rather than ability to apply them.

2) The basic mechanics of a technique *are important* to the beginner. If you've spent more than two minutes researching the MA's you'll realise that the only reason basics have been so over-emphasised in the past is because the instructors knew very little else! Go on, prove me wrong !

Please don't take this the wrong way, I do practice my Kihon every day. In saying that i'd like to make the point that the application principles, two man drills, study of balance, anatomy, nervous system, effect of fear and adrenaline, contact simulation etc(the list goes on) have *far* more importance to a martial artist than whether or not your elbow pops out when you're doing a 400mph gyaku zuki !

A boxer will let his elbow out when he punches ? Does Mike Tyson not punch hard ? Can you stand there and critique his technique when he is trying to send you to an early grave , albeit less one earlobe :- )

I anticipate a bitofa chewing over this post as I have disagreed with the status quo. Let the onslaught begin !

cheers
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: The mechanics of technique - 04/26/02 12:18 PM

Mastering the details, makes one an expert... someone to study with, learn from, share time. One can have skills, be extraordinarily tough, angry, a jerk, whatever the case, and NOT have anything you or I want to practice (much less be around for long periods).

Being sloppy, and executing a technique ~ANY ole way~, is fine, IF you have ZERO interest in learning and improving! If all you want to do is hit, be tough, be an exceptional moron... go for it! If you want to learn, if you want to build skills, IMPROVE in whatever arena you operate from, THEN you must pay attention to small details!!!

Examine them, study them. If you do not, no matter what/who you are, the learner will improve and eventually win regardless of their special handicaps... as the "fighter" refuses to examine/learn from their mistakes.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: The mechanics of technique - 01/29/03 09:55 AM

I personally think this argument depends on where you see yourself as a martial artist, of course good form is important but not at the expense of enjoying the art.

I remember as an example when I was younger (11 or 12) doing shotokan karate I was constantly being told to get lower in stances, I nearly left because of this as my legs were far too weak for my height (I can't remember how tall i was but I was often mistaken for a 15 year old).

basically if a beginner gets moaned at all the time about technique when they are trying to remember the other 101 things it becomes detrimental to training.

On the flip side of this coin most Martial artists I know are too weak to do most of the techniques (especially kicking) shown to them anyway, a priority of strenthening would probably service technique better in the long term.

I actually agree with nuthinflash on the point of overtraining basics, they are important but it really depends what you want to get out of your art. If in the case of shotokan you spend all day going up and down the dojo doing basics, I challange you to last a boxing match, I managed it - just but it sure made me revise how effective my Karate was (Thats why I do kickboxing with Kash Gill now).
Posted by: senseilou

Re: The mechanics of technique - 01/31/03 11:55 PM

There is no such thing as over training in Basics. Basics are the foundation of Martial Arts. remember the bigger the base-the taller the building. Without a solid foundation, the house or building will fall. Basics are governed by Priciples, and concepts, so once you learn the proper form of the basi, there is much more to learn. Employing principle to your techniques, and your basics can only make them better. i have heard this argument before, and it goes back to what you want out of the arts. But those who say they are fighters, and that's their focus, explain to me why boxers spend so much time in the gym before a fight working on their.........BASICS. Fighters need basics as well as anyone else. My other question too is when we talk about fighters vs. Martial atrists, someone tell me where these fights take place, in the ring, point sparring or on the street? If you are fighters are you strategic fighters or reflexsive fighters? Either way, strategy ought to be figured in there somewhere and isn't strategy how to use our BASICS? Basics are the key, and yes you can get sloppy and land a lucky punch, but against a good technical fighter, you will lose, just look at the boxer vs. brawler in boxing. The technical boxer usually wins. There is never too much Basics, never!!!!!!
Posted by: Scholar

Re: The mechanics of technique - 03/19/03 06:01 AM

One thing I unfortunately didn't realize early on, was that in punching not to completely straighten the arm. This caused wear on my elbows to the amount I did that!