How often to stretch?

Posted by: Jeniko

How often to stretch? - 08/14/03 11:27 AM

Hey, just a question which i have on my mind.

Is there anyone out there who could recommend me on how often to stretch? For a good few months now, i've been doing 3 hours worth of stretching most nights a week (4/5 times a week). My strongest leg was my left leg. and after a while i began to get frustrated at how bad i was with my right.
So just recentally i've been starting each stretch on my right and it's improved alot.

But im just curious as to how long it took you to achieve the full side splits (those of you who can perform the side splits)?

thank you
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: How often to stretch? - 08/21/03 08:19 AM

There is nothing wrong with what your doing, but its sure is an unefficient way to stretch.

If you go to www.stadion.com/column.html you will get all the info you need.

but long story short:

Be able to squat your body weight easily for 10 repititions. Deadlift once or twice with double your body weight. Once you can do this practice lunges with weight (side and forward) adductor pull downs and run regularly taking big long strides preferable on soft ground such as a park.

Morning - 10 mins dynamic stretching
Pre workout dynamic stretching
Post workout isometric strething followed by relaxed stretching (you can just do relaxed if your legs are too tired).

Dont do the isometric stuff until your body is strong enought i.e. the squats and deadlifts.

If you can already push this kind of weight and you run regularly you should be able to get into a full split very quickly. If not get strong then get flexible!

The dynamic stretches will enable you to kick high anyway so it is better to concentrate on your stength and dynamic flexibility before working on speicfic strength work for splits.
Posted by: Jeniko

Re: How often to stretch? - 08/21/03 12:57 PM

Thank you very much UKfightfreak, much appreciated. :X