Just a couple of questions

Posted by: mrhubbs

Just a couple of questions - 07/08/03 03:47 PM

Two things:

First, Kurz gets a lot of attention for his "Stretching Scientifically" book and tape. I have both and have benefitted from each. Stadion offers another book on kicking/flexibility by Mac Mierzejewski (sp?), a kyokushin stylist. Has anyone seen this tape? Is it worth the investment or is it too similar in nature to Kurz's stuff?

Second, for those of you who follow Kurz's approach (Are you out there UKFF?), how often are you doing the strength training he recommends and adductor flyes in particular?

Thanks for your time.

David
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Just a couple of questions - 07/08/03 05:57 PM

The power high kicks with no warm up video is a really sound way of developing powerful kicks - most of the actual basics of how to be able to kick throughout without a warmup is covered is Kurz's stuff (do your dynamics each morning), this video really gets it's teeth into the technique and how to develop power - for advanced stylists it may cover a lot of old ground but saying that I hold a dan grade in Karate and picked up a lot from it.

I would recommend it.

As for the adductor flies - to be honest I have just finished my finals at Uni so I have not been training regularly at all. I must admit I have a lot more basic strength training needed (squats, deadlifts, lunges etc.) to develop general strength before I give to much attention to adductor strength - remember if you go to Kurz's website he recommends to be able to squat your body weight for 10 reps and deadlift twice your bodyweight for 1 or 2 reps before you start kicking above the waist!!

To answer how often regarding the weightless adductor flies - I try and do 100 each morning if I have time (after my dynamic stretching).

As for how often for strength training I train twice per week. Although I can't achieve an Isometric split yet I can easily perform relaxed splits since the strength in my legs has increased.
Posted by: mrhubbs

Re: Just a couple of questions - 07/13/03 11:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, UKFF. I hope exams went well.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Just a couple of questions - 07/14/03 02:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrhubbs:
Thanks for the reply, UKFF. I hope exams went well. [/QUOTE]

Thanks - just got the results, first class honours (I am very suprised!!!)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Just a couple of questions - 07/14/03 01:12 PM

Congrats UKFF, fantastic result!
Sharon