Going to Far

Posted by: Brewer

Going to Far - 07/09/01 02:15 AM

Hello,
Has anyone out there been forced into a stretch?I had a friend of mine who was pushed down into the Chinese Splits or sideways split by his instructor.The guy was having a hard time with the last 3 or 4 inches,his instructor walked behind him and without telling him anything pushed him to the floor.He could not walk for about a week,I couldn't believe that there was still this kind of instruction going on.
Posted by: Nick B

Re: Going to Far - 07/27/01 09:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brewer:
Hello,
Has anyone out there been forced into a stretch?I had a friend of mine who was pushed down into the Chinese Splits or sideways split by his instructor.The guy was having a hard time with the last 3 or 4 inches,his instructor walked behind him and without telling him anything pushed him to the floor.He could not walk for about a week,I couldn't believe that there was still this kind of instruction going on.
[/QUOTE]

That sort of thing was a regular occurance when I first trained in England in the 70's. It was brutal ! [IMG]http://bbs.fightingarts.com/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Going to Far - 07/28/01 12:01 AM

Hey Nick,
I remember the 70's and alot of abuse the students use to take and put up with. But this is now and I don't think people would put up with the Garbage.I guess you could say that we've come a long way.
Your Brother in the Arts
Posted by: Nick B

Re: Going to Far - 09/21/01 10:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brewer:
Hey Nick,
I remember the 70's and alot of abuse the students use to take and put up with. But this is now and I don't think people would put up with the Garbage.I guess you could say that we've come a long way.
Your Brother in the Arts
[/QUOTE]

I think that I had mentioned before that I recently got back into Karate after not being involved for many , many years , and during that time i was approached on many occasions and invited to visit a Dojo and give it a try again and i always said no thanks because I thought that my body would not be able to take the abuse but thankfully things have changed and even though I still find it hard it is no where near as hard as it used to be !!
Posted by: islandtime

Re: Going to Far - 11/15/01 01:44 AM

Nick,
I went through that same type of crap, training in TKD back in the day.. After a long layoff myself, I started back and was pleasantly surprised at the conditioning and stretching done at my dojo. There are some excellent stretching tips at the martial arts/stretching area of About.com. There is a series of articles by Thomas Kurtz that are reprints from his book and articles in a TKD newsletter that are wonderfull. My Sensei is using them in class and I am using them at home workouts and my stretching out is improving all the time because of it and without injury..

GEne
Posted by: Ishinguy

Re: Going to Far - 11/15/01 04:01 PM

Thanks for info Islandtime