punching with the thumb down and pinky up???

Posted by: Brut71

punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/22/09 03:32 PM

I've been involved with training with in the martial arts for many years (Boxing, Kick Boxing, Karate, mostly Kung Fu). The last few years I also enrolled into a fitness program that uses kickbox aerobics as part of it;s over all program. I've have enjoyed this program for many reasons but recently they have made a concerted effort to retrain everybody on how to perform a proper punch.

They are telling us to fully extend the arm and to twist our rist until our thumb is pointing straight down and our pinky finger is point straight up. In all my years of study and training in the martial arts, I've not encounted this technique as a standard method for throwing a jab or a cross. I tested it one night and found that my elbow would be high and hyper extended and it would also put pressue on my rotator cuff (I've had shoulder surgery so I am sensive to pressure on my shoulders). After hitting the bag for a few minutes I also noticed that I using a great deal of my muscles in my neck and my neck was getting sore.

Has anyone else run into this type of punching technique? I've searched the internet and referenced martial arts books in the library and book store but I am unable to find any style of martail art that teaches this method. I also do not want to create any negative feellings at within this fitness program buiness, but I think they wrong to instruct others in this technique.
Posted by: Ames

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/22/09 04:19 PM

Do you mean a corkscrew punch?
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/22/09 04:56 PM

I just for sake of saying I did it, attempted this punch. Violates body mechanics.

Puts the shoulder out of alignment unless you really turn away from the strike assuming I am doing it right.

I hate to say 100% wrong, but I'd have to see a pretty convincing demonstration to belive this is anything but wrong.

My 2 cents
Posted by: Ames

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/22/09 07:49 PM

Yeah I think this is some kind of wonky corkscrew punch. I tried it earlier, and Kimo is right, it violates body mechanics. I would ask your instructor about it and see what he says...maybe there was a misunderstanding about it?

--Chris
Posted by: MattJ

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/23/09 09:39 AM

That is something that is used when striking over the opponent's shoulder, from very close (clinch) range. Not a standard punch.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/23/09 01:30 PM

If I were you, I'd look into your aerobic kickboxing instructor's martial art credentials. Sounds to me like s/he is dispensing some bad advice.

Fully extending the arm, and twisting the wrist all the way while punching is an easy way to damage your wrist, elbow, and shoulder... your entire arm, really.

EDIT: Except for what MattJ mentioned, which is a common move in BJJ/MMA, since it follows natural body mechanics. But from a jab or reverse punch, that just sounds disastrous.
Posted by: Cord

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/23/09 02:45 PM

Quote:

If I were you, I'd look into your aerobic kickboxing instructor's martial art credentials. Sounds to me like s/he is dispensing some bad advice.

If you want to learn how to punch, go to a fight-instructor. If you want to do an aerobics class, go to an aerobics instructor.

Get the two confused and you will encounter problems
Posted by: MattJ

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/23/09 02:51 PM

Whoops, I apologize. I missed the part with the arm being fully extended. That.....I have no idea. The punch that I refer to is like an inverted hook punch, with the arm bent.

First day with the new reading comprehension, sorry.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/23/09 02:58 PM

That's what I was driving at, Cord.
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/26/09 07:16 PM

i see, the infamous "aerobic punch"...
Posted by: Triddle

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/29/09 06:56 AM

As little as I trust the advice of an aerobics instructor in terms of fighting, I occasionally turn my fist in this manner, particularly when throwing a right and ducking deep to the left...

ie, opponent throws a right, you duck under it moving your entire body to the left while throwing a right on the inside, you twist your hand such that the pinky is ontop and thumb on the bottom with your arm a long way off centre, aiming to the opponents face. I've always found this to be effective and have never had any body mechanics issues throwing a punch this way.

That said, punching like this for a regular jab or cross seems... stupid.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: punching with the thumb down and pinky up??? - 01/29/09 07:50 AM

Exactly Triddle, I do the same thing. I've also turned my thumb down at times on the jab if I am throwing it harder and committing more body weight behind it (though it isn't completely corkscrewed either). It's more of a slight turn down from horizontal.