Is it possible to stretch too much?

Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Is it possible to stretch too much? - 10/29/08 09:19 AM

i mean. just like in weight lifting where there are general rules that you should rest a few days inbetween your lifting sessions or like in H.I.T. that you should rest many days ^^

is there such a thing in the terms of stretching? should u have a few days without stretching? or can u basically stretch everyday?
Posted by: DarkPhoenix

Re: Is it possible to stretch too much? - 12/16/08 12:26 PM

I stretch everyday for about 15-20 minutes when I am not training, and 45 mins total on days that I am at the dojang. I always make sure be be warmed up for doing it, either by doing jumping jacks, or knee lifts. I can see how it may be possible to plateau, but I could be wrong.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Is it possible to stretch too much? - 12/16/08 01:13 PM

Static, passive stretching can and imho should be done as often as you like and is possible. The only thing you would want to regulate is if you do any isometric stretching; that is breaking down muscle tissue just like any other resistance training and should have recovery time involved. Dynamic stretching, moving stretches we call high front stretch, high side stretch and so on, should be done before training and I've found to be helpful doing them 1st thing every morning to start the day. Just don't go crazy with them. It's not throwing your leg as hard as you can towards the sky but lifting it to it's limit and releasing it until you reach your optimum height.

p.s. this is all out of Kurtz's "Stretching Scientifically" and not my own personal revelations. But, I've found it extremely useful.
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: Is it possible to stretch too much? - 12/18/08 10:21 AM

thx!