Piriformis syndrome/stretching

Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Piriformis syndrome/stretching - 04/21/08 07:28 PM

Ok, so yeah i'm pretty sure I have piriformis syndrome, i've found one good stretch that seems to help:
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html

Anyone know of any others good piriformis stretches?
It seems to be getting worse as I age, and is a real pain in the ass when training, pun intended. It's particularly bad after I have been doing some kicking, does anyone have a specific regimen of stretching to avoid this?

Also does anyone has a good psoas self stretch etc. other than this one:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...=image&cd=1
Posted by: Cord

Re: Piriformis syndrome/stretching - 04/22/08 03:54 AM

i am going to move this to the stretching/biomechanics forum, but as I do this, it is worth considering that if you are getting pain in your buttocks, and find your anterior hips to have tightened, the two issues could well be directly linked (in fact, they will be). Before you embark on a plan that could make things worse, you would be advised to seek out a postural assessment from a registered physiotherapist. They can then give you advice on how to redress the imbalance accurately, and how to prevent further manifestation.

Re: Piriformis syndrome/stretching - 04/22/08 04:04 AM

Quote:

i am going to move this to the stretching/biomechanics forum, but as I do this, it is worth considering that if you are getting pain in your buttocks, and find your anterior hips to have tightened, the two issues could well be directly linked (in fact, they will be). Before you embark on a plan that could make things worse, you would be advised to seek out a postural assessment from a registered physiotherapist. They can then give you advice on how to redress the imbalance accurately, and how to prevent further manifestation.

Maybe I will take your advice if my health insurance permits it.

Yeah they are defnitely connected, I have tight psoas and stretched, painful ql's as well as the piriformis issue. My kinesiology class is actually what helped me figure this stuff out.

I've been trying just to do the basic psoas, ql, and piriformis self stretches stuff i've learned in school in a balanced manner, I was just wondering if anyone knew of other stretches.

Honestly i'm guessing i'm gonna be s.o.l. in this regard as far as my insurance goes, often hard to get than kind of thing covered unfortunately.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Piriformis syndrome/stretching - 04/22/08 12:51 PM

Why not play this one cute- explain to your kinesiology teacher you problems, and offer yourself up as an in class project.
The class get to suggest stuff, your teacher steps in and corrects, and voila, you end up with a rehab plan from a qualified kinesiologist- for free.

Come on now, who wants to hug me?

Re: Piriformis syndrome/stretching - 04/22/08 03:39 PM

That is actually a great idea lol, thanks.
Posted by: Mark_Jakabcsin

Re: Piriformis syndrome/stretching - 04/22/08 09:20 PM

Check out a book called 'Somatics' by Thomas Hanna. You might find some ideas to help you out there.

Mark J.