Don't start none, Won't be none.

Posted by: Zombie Zero

Don't start none, Won't be none. - 04/04/08 10:09 AM

Lately, I have noticed an increase in petty arguments taking place in various threads throughout the forum.

FA.com is meant to be a fun, friendly place where martial artists can exchange information and ideas, and learn from each other.

Healthy debate is encouraged here. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with another member's stated point of view, as long as it is done with civility, dignity, and respect.

But once you resort to name-calling and other verbal barbs, you have conceded defeat. It means you have nothing meaningful left to say in defense of your opinion.

Let's please put an immediate end to this kind of behavior. If you wouldn't do it in the classroom, don't do it here.

If someone insults you, don't insult back. Just as in self-defense, when someone tries to shove you, you don't shove back, you use the offender's own momentum against them.

Let's look at this rephrased example, that happened in a recent thread:

Quote:

Offender 1: I have no intelligent response to what you have said, so I'll resort to calling you gay.

Offender 2: Rather than ignore your barb, or respond privately, I will publicly claim that your mother can personally confirm that I am, in fact, not gay.

While that may have been a witty retort, it didn't help get the thread back on track. In fact, it only made things worse, and the thread wound up locked. Ungood.

My point in this long-winded post is this: Don't start none, won't be none.

There are many members on this forum that know each other well enough to take a few verbal jabs at each other. Nothing wrong with that, it helps keep things fun around here.

And remember, if a conflict can't be resolved between the members involved, there's always that "Notify Moderator" button.

Anyone caught in violation of this Pax Nova will be put under Flood Control until they make amends. Repeat offenders will be banished to the Land of Wind and Ghosts.

Thank you all for your attention in this matter.

Z