Tight muscles for too long....

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Tight muscles for too long.... - 03/17/08 01:45 AM

I went to my first class after a two year period of no practice. Granted I never worked out really at all.

After attending a class last tuesday, it was just as intense as I expected. I different stretch as much as I would have liked to before hand. Actually I didn't get any stretching in at all, but we all warmed up very good and I took it easy on throwing any kick. A real small amount of stretching was done during class. But, a lot of ab work and different excercises that were mainly push ups and anything that can be done in push up position.

Since then my triceps and the front of my shoulders have been tight. My shoulders aren't so much anymore, but my triceps are still a little tight when I bring my arm up and my hand towards my face for instance.

Did I over work them? I'm stretching them now gradually, but could muscle being tight for almost a week be a bad thing?
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Tight muscles for too long.... - 03/17/08 06:24 AM

That would be expected when starting over. Your body has to get used to the soreness now and get to where it was before you had to stop. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Just stretch (if stretching hurts too bad then lightly stretch)...
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Tight muscles for too long.... - 03/17/08 06:45 AM

There's quite a lot of research now showing that static stretching prior to exercise doesn't actually do anything for your performance, in fact many are now saying that its will actually decrease your performance. Prior to exercise you need to mobilise the body so light warm ups are the best way to go. Start lightly to mobilise the muscles you are going to be using. Also the warm down period afterwards is important as well, again I tend to concentrate on mobility rather than flexibility here as well. But as whitedragon said being a tender is path of the course anyway. It's our bodies way of punishing you for sitting on your butt too much!
Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: Tight muscles for too long.... - 03/20/08 02:20 AM

oh man I certainly know my body saying "it's about time you started doing something good for youself"

I'm a wuss when it comes to push ups so I really want to get better at them.

Thanks for the tip, I used to always stretch statically before work outs, and I do remember that after a while I didn't really understand why I was wasting time with it. I always feel just as flexible when I'm warmed up.
Posted by: ragingrasengan

Re: Tight muscles for too long.... - 05/16/08 10:18 AM

Well, your muscles always have to have tension otherwise you wouldnt be able to maintain posture, so see, your muscles are torn from the intense training, they will heal eventually, and thats when you benefit from the training, and even if u do a real good warmup, you muscles will get torn always when you train or excersice, the stretching just help you to make the tearing less, or not as painful, cuz stretching is called so cuz you are stretching your muscles to get use to the muscle tearing, making it more flexible, so it doesnt tear immediatly and hurt like hell, its good for you cuz u benefit from it after those muscle tissue heal, not the day of the training.