Best stretching practice

Posted by: janxspirit

Best stretching practice - 02/26/08 10:37 AM

Check out Ashtanga Yoga. If you are serious about flexibility, it will do you worlds of good.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Best stretching practice - 02/26/08 06:51 PM

Do you have any specific links for this?
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Best stretching practice - 02/26/08 09:14 PM

"This method of Yoga involves synchronizing the breath with progressive series of postures—a process producing intense internal heat and a profuse, purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind." Ashtanga Site
Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: Best stretching practice - 03/17/08 01:49 AM

Aren't most any yoga class like that? I mean isn't that pretty much the focus, warm rooms, good breathing, good postures, and of course plenty of stretching. I understand that there is a level of intensity and more advanced postures but yeah.

The yoga that I used to practice sounds exactly what you described in that quote.
Posted by: chofukainoa

Re: Best stretching practice - 03/20/08 05:59 AM

I did Iyengar yoga before Ashtanga, and truth be told, Ashtanga is more dynamic. I found it less boring. It's also easier to follow and remember once you learn the sequence of moves. A lot of the postures are the same between different schools of yoga, so just like the martial arts, it is mostly just a matter of finding something that fits with your body and personality.

I cut back on my yoga practice after taking up kobudo, but recently have gotten back into doing it at least three times a week. I found it really helps with lingering tightness, especially in the legs and back. I avoid the bent-and-twisted leg postures because they hurt my bad knee.

Even just "sun salutations" are great full-body stretches. Wish i could find a good youtube, but i had problems with all of them! Okay, this guy's form is the best but he talks too much:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9P5PSqmnu88

You can do a surprising amount of damage to yourself doing any kind of yoga, so please find a reputable teacher who can adapt the practice to any pre-existing conditions you may have!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Best stretching practice - 03/22/08 11:22 AM

I just completed a 7 week introductory course in Astanga. It was tough! I enjoyed it thourghly though. I completely understand what you mean about finding a good teacher so you don't get injured! Yoga practice can be very demanding, and I defintely agree you could get hurt if you aren't careful or don't have good instruction. Am signing up for some more after Easter break.
Posted by: dongdwaeji

Re: Best stretching practice - 01/21/10 09:19 PM

I couldn't even touch my toes and was stupidly inflexible.

A few home sessions of a 45 min beginners Hath Yoga workout on DVD and now I can now not just touch my toes but put my palms flat on the floor... Not just that, yoga makes you feel GREAT all over physically and mentally.

I'd say for purely stretching hatha is bettter than ashtanga as most ppl will do yoga in the evenings and ashtanga is so stimuulating a lot fo ppl find it hard to get to sleep afterwards whereas hatha is more calming and relaxing.