Finally Got A Split

Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Finally Got A Split - 02/18/08 06:05 PM

I finally did my first split (left foot forwards). It took a LOT of stretching. However, it did not take much time altogether. Although I have been training for about 8-9 years, I never really focused on splits. This month though I worked on them and I got my first one down. I am getting really close with my right foot forward, just a matter of time (maybe a week or two).
I havent been able to work my straddles however, because I hurt my right hip sparring. This has prevented me from working on the straddles, the last week (not that long but still...).

So for everyone that thinks that they will never be able to do a split, maybe this can be an inspiration to you. Just put an effort to work on them and not get too lazy. Stretch while you watch tv, it really makes a use of time.
Good Luck!!!
Posted by: tingtong

Re: Finally Got A Split - 02/21/08 02:10 PM

what benefits does a split give you in martial arts?
Jason
Posted by: everyone

Re: Finally Got A Split - 02/21/08 05:16 PM

Techniques, attributes and skills all provide a martial artist with options. Yes, even the ability to do the splits widens the possibilities of what you can do. Specifically, this flexibility would help if someone hooks your leg and pulls your feet apart quickly. (This is done in some Chinese throws and sweeps.) Without exceptional flexibility a groin muscle is easily pulled in the process.

Also, kicking high is obviously improved with greater flexibility. Chances are you won’t be kicking the range of a full split. However if you can do the full split, you should be able to kick high without a warm-up. There are those who will argue that static flexibility does not translate into dynamic flexibility, but that has not been my experience. But it is my experience that dynamic doesn’t necessarily translate into static (off subject).

If you’re a person who doesn’t think high kicks have a place in martial arts, you are only limiting your options. I’m not a big fan of high kicks but practice them for when the opportunity to use them presents itself.

Congrats WhiteDragon11 on those splits!!

Re: Finally Got A Split - 02/21/08 06:03 PM

Lets see well not that much
-greater flexibility
-higher kicks (I agree with everyone, the last poster)
-the confidence gained
-less likely for injury
-can lead to better/lower stances
-the fact that I can now say you cant

Hmmm well I guess they are unimportant??? Your right...

Re: Finally Got A Split - 03/12/08 09:16 PM

Just to add, I have reached both side splits now.

Posted by: Craigm

Re: Finally Got A Split - 03/12/08 09:33 PM

Thats pretty cool dude, ive been working on flexibility a bit latly, but im nowhere near splits in any form lol.

Re: Finally Got A Split - 03/12/08 09:41 PM

Thanks man...
If you really focus on splits, they will eventually come to you. They dont come immediately, but if you are patient they will come in no time.
Posted by: Craigm

Re: Finally Got A Split - 03/12/08 10:53 PM

Yea i figured if i just keep doing a few stretchs before and after workouts ill get there eventually, which is fine as im in no hurry.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Finally Got A Split - 05/03/08 08:35 PM

Quote:

what benefits does a split give you in martial arts?
Jason

There is no real physical benefit for doing a split in Martial Arts.

Personally, I think the benefits are psychological e.g. it is a difficult/unattainable ability (you walk into a class and there is a black belt that can do the splits... they must be good...).

There is also a high sense of achievement in doing a split - as most people approach it in a way that is difficult, finally getting there is a big buzz.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Finally Got A Split - 05/06/08 11:13 PM

I agree with UKfightfreak.

There are good martial artists who cannot attain a split. I'm able to do the splits still,but I'm naturally flexible to an extent.

Funny though, when someone finds out you practice ma the first thing they want to see is a high kick or splits,lol.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Finally Got A Split - 05/07/08 12:38 PM

LOL

I can also do the splits (I just think it's cool) - but I'm just vain.

It's quite difficult to be honest about these things!