techniques for learning to keep your hands up?

Posted by: orsrt05

techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/22/07 03:20 PM

I am a yellow belt in krav maga and I have recently started sparring once a week. I seem to be having a problem with keeping my hands up to defend myself when my opponent comes in for an attack, or, after I have attacked my opponent, I have a problem remembering to bring my hands back up to defend for the counterattack.

I am hoping this week to start training on my heavy bag in the garage. Any suggestions or exercise I can perform while shadowboxing, training on the heavy bag or while sparring to help me with this issue?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/22/07 03:33 PM

No real technique to it. Just keep them up. As you do bagwork, make an an effort to remember to keep your hands up. The more you spar, the better you will get at it, too.

Remember: if you don't see your hands in front of your face, neither will the opponent.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/22/07 07:22 PM

Well if you keep them down, you will be getting hit. After a while, you will keep them up to avoid getting hit.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/23/07 03:50 PM

Hello Orsrt05:

Have you trained only to keep your hands up, regardless of what "they" are/are not doing?

-Bump-

Jeff
Posted by: JKogas

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/23/07 04:15 PM

Right on WhiteDragon. Continuously getting hit in the face in sparring is the single most effective way of teaching people to keep their hands up. So keep sparring. That's more important than ANYTHING else for developing your ability.

-John
Posted by: orsrt05

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/23/07 06:14 PM

thanks for all of your info guys....getting hit in the face usually does remind me to keep hands while sparring, but, for some reason, the next round, i totally forget what happened the last round and do it again....dont ask me why.

my instructor suggested that when i shadowbox and execute my kicks, i should keep a hold of the collar on my shirt. it should help me get used to keeping my hands up when im kicking. he also suggested that when i start working on the heavy bag and shadowboxing together, i should hold a small ball between my elbows while keeping my hands up in front of my face. apparently he saw on an episode of the UFC when Tito Ortiz was training his team. ill have to try this to find out.

i just cant stand getting hit in the face anymore....and for some reason when i spar...my hands are all over the place. i guess it will come with practice like you guys said.

thanks.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/23/07 06:42 PM

Make yourself a fighting stance, that you yourself with use. Go in front of the mirror and stand in the stance. Find where are the places that can be hit when your stance is how it is. Keep your hands up and get used to that stance that you will do when you spar. That might help just getting used to having your hands up when you start the match.
Posted by: FNG

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/24/07 01:29 AM

Geting hit in the head is the best method.

Tae Kwon Do: We did light sparring and I would get tapped in the temple when I dropped my hands. I was also paired with a spin-kick happy student often since him and I were roughly the same build.

Marine Corps: By then I had the experience; however, I watched people get the sh** slapped out of them.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/24/07 07:52 AM

Quote:

thanks for all of your info guys....getting hit in the face usually does remind me to keep hands while sparring, but, for some reason, the next round, i totally forget what happened the last round and do it again....dont ask me why.

How long have you been doing this? If this is your first week, realize that it may take you a while to groove those fundamentals. If you've been at it for a long time, it might be wise to find another hobby??

Doing a lot of focus pad training where the coach strikes you with the pads to groove your mechanics might be a good start. Light sparring as well. Otherwise that's going to be about it. Shadow boxing won't be much of a help to you if sparring isn't doing it. The lack of any real punching coming at you won't help in this regard. Just keep at it. And wear good headgear if you're still having problems....Alzheimer's won't help you remember, and Parkinson's will have your hands everywhere but where they NEED to be.

-John
Posted by: Sknives

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/26/07 08:51 AM

Getting hit in the head is a crappy method to learn but effective. I think the best way is to constantly practice your form. I often shadowboxed the boxing style for a few days and my body adjusted to the stance.

I personally disagree JKogas on him finding another hobby if he can't get the fundamentals down quickly. I believe that it means he should train even more.
Posted by: everyone

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/27/07 12:40 PM

A good way to learn to keep your hands up is to have the edge of your glove, or the tips of your fingers touch your temple when you shadow box or hit the bag. You will feel when your hands drop. This worked for me.
Posted by: Helen2005

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/27/07 04:09 PM

Elaborating on what everyone said, I would keep my hands relaxed and my fingertips resting on my temples when I shadowbox. Whenever I throw a punch, I make sure to put my hand back into the same position before I throw the next punch. I had to start doing this slowly at first, but after a while, I was able to speed it up to where I barely drop my hands while sparring anymore. Don't let this discourage you. We all have something that is hard for us to learn and remember to do consistently. Just takes more training! Good luck!
Posted by: everyone

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/27/07 05:18 PM

Good Pointers Helen2005, also it helps to shadowbox in front of a mirror. When you see your hands drop, take a swing at yourself. This will build your offense/reaction speed at the same time.
Posted by: Helen2005

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 09/27/07 05:27 PM

I just had a funny image in my head when I read your post. You made my day! That's me when I take a swing at, er, me!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 10/31/07 12:27 PM

It'sa also a good idea to keep your hands @ shoulder level as you run - don'r swing them by your sides as you normally would. At first it will seem stiff but it will become more natural as you train.

The biggest culprit is fatigue. As you tire, your hands will get "heavy" & drop - it's natural. So if your hands are naturally low, they'll be hanging by your side as you tire. However if you get accustomed to holding them up in front of your shoulders, they'll drop no lower than what your doing now. And chances are high that your opponent will have "spaghetti arms" (hanging down).

The key is to not lift your shoulders. With your hands up (about 8-10" in front of your shoulders), imagine a weight hanging from your elbows. This will keep your hands up w/o using shoulder/trapezius muscles that will tire you.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 10/31/07 12:27 PM

It's also a good idea to keep your hands @ shoulder level as you run - don't swing them by your sides as you normally would. At first it will seem stiff but it will become more natural as you train.

The biggest culprit is fatigue. As you tire, your hands will get "heavy" & drop - it's natural. So if your hands are naturally low, they'll be hanging by your side as you tire. However if you get accustomed to holding them up in front of your shoulders, they'll drop no lower than what your doing now. And chances are high that your opponent will have "spaghetti arms" (hanging down).

The key is to not lift your shoulders. With your hands up (about 8-10" in front of your shoulders), imagine a weight hanging from your elbows. This will keep your hands up w/o using shoulder/trapezius muscles that will tire you.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 10/31/07 12:33 PM

Everytime I sparred with my instructor, he kicked/punched me in the face when I dropped my hands. Not to kill me but to let me know that it stings a bit to drop your guard. Never dropped them again. I hate to put it like this but one good solid shot and I am sure they will stay up after that. Some things cant be taught, they have to be experienced and then rooted to your subconscious. It will happen if your hands keep dropping. It is just a matter of time.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: techniques for learning to keep your hands up? - 10/31/07 12:41 PM

Ditto what Scottie said. If the penalties high enough for not doing something....you'll change your habits soon enough. And without anyone explaining it to you.