Makko-ho

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Makko-ho - 03/23/07 01:37 PM

http://tkdtutor.com/11Training/Makoho/Makoho.htm

So I've been doing those 4 stretches as part of my static passive routine, but when I tried to find more information on Makko-ho(or is it makoho? the site spells it both ways), all I could find were sites that were trying to sell me some thing. All the sites say that there are 6 exercises in makko-ho, not just four.

Anyone know what the other two are?

EDIT- Or is Makko-ho like yoga, where its more than just stretching? If so, I would like to know more, and maybe would be willing to purchase a book or DVD if anyone knew any that were good.
Posted by: hawkfish

Re: Makko-ho - 03/28/07 09:55 AM

I couldn't find much info either but below is a video with five of the exercises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2kLw24zTpI

Below is a translated German site but they show seven exercises.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...%3Doff%26sa%3DN

Re: Makko-ho - 03/28/07 01:37 PM

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Makko-ho - 04/07/07 11:33 PM

Have you tried doing the stretches yet?

I have been doing them for about a week now and my hips seem so much more flexible.

I have had problems with hip flexibility for a long time now and had a hard time kicking much over thigh high without serious pain. In my last few classes, I have been able to kick belt high or better with little pain.

I like that it only takes about 10 minutes or so to do the whole routine. I am surprised that something so simple and free has worked so well for me.

Re: Makko-ho - 04/08/07 04:20 PM

I've been just doing them and holding the static positions for about a minute or two. I know they say passive stretching doesn't help much after 30 seconds, but whatever works for me.

My hip flexibility is decent, I've just been working on my calf and lower back flexibility more than anything.

Do you think I should try working on the splits before or after the makko-ho exercises?

Re: Makko-ho - 04/09/07 02:25 PM

I try to hold mine for a minute or more also.

I have been working on my splits after doing the Makko-ho routine myself.

Re: Makko-ho - 04/09/07 02:40 PM

I work on the sidesplit after makko ho as well.

Re: Makko-ho - 04/09/07 10:38 PM

Quote:

I work on the sidesplit after makko ho as well.

I'm thinking that I am better warmed up to do the splits after the other stretches.

Also, thanks for pointing the Makko-ho out to me in the first place. It has helped me a lot already.

Re: Makko-ho - 04/09/07 10:41 PM

I really don't know what the science behind them are, but they seem to work for me more than when I usually static stretch. Maybe because there is a set routine, instead of when I normally passive stretch where I just wing it. I try not to warm up too much before trying the splits, since I want to be able to do them "cold." Same goes with kicking high.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Makko-ho - 04/10/07 09:00 AM

In the Makko-ho stretches are actually 6 sets of postures (with complimentary stretches as well) and the mechanics of the stretches is based in Chinese medicine. We use them in Shiatsu as a warm up exercise prior to treating. Each of them works a particular pair of meridians or an element of the 5 elements and is designed to stimulate energy flow through the body. They are extremely beneficial for the body. Even if you don't believe in the Ki/Qi explanations of the stretches they are still wonderful for the body.

The is a small self published booklet in the UK called "Mind Your Body" which details all of the stretches and also their complimentary postures. I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it though.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Makko-ho - 04/10/07 09:11 AM

Watched the youtube clip. His got the six main postures well. A few technical tweaks that we do differently and doing it his way may damage your lower back. Always lift your abdomen up to straighten your spine and bend from the hips when doing these stretches.

Also just on a historical note, the stretches were not developed by Mr Masunaga, but by a Mr Makko contrary to what he said in the clip. Masunaga founded the Zen school of Shiatsu and taught the Makko Ho as an addition to the Do-In exercises we do to warm up....which if memory serves me correctly were based on some Taoist stuff.
Posted by: jmcnew

Re: Makko-ho - 12/10/07 04:05 PM

If you search on Amazon.com for "makko-ho", you will find a number of books that cover this topic. Some have six exercises.

John