2007 GOALS

Posted by: everyone

2007 GOALS - 01/02/07 01:23 PM

I am looking to set some flex-goals for the new year. What would be a realistic timeline for acheiving the side splits. Now before people start the usual, well it all depends, everyone is different stuff, HAS ANYONE OUT THERE ACHEIVED THE FULL SPLITS. If so, how long did it take you and how did you do it?

Please, no empty promises based upon what someone said in a book. I am looking for someone who has acheived their goal and can give me a baseline from which to measure my results and a program to emulate. Thanks

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/03/07 02:20 PM

While I am hoping for some guidance, I do have to start a program immidiately in order to make progress.

My starting point is about 14 inches from the floor. My goal is to be in full side splits by my 40th birthday, about 8 months. Each month I will have to improve by 1.75 inches to stay on track.

My plan is to do lower body yoga stretches for 20 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of side and front splits. M W F will be isometric splits, T W will be relaxed splits only. In addition, I will do my usual stretching in class 4 days per week.

I welcome feedback about my goals and this program.

Note: I am not too concerned about dynamic flex., I have never seen a person with static flexibility unable to kick high. Also, I am able to kick high enough, currently, to defend myself.

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/08/07 12:42 PM

My first week of this plan went well. I am on track with a drop of 3/4 of an inch. I have varied from my plan in that I have done isometric stretches daily since I have not experienced muscle soreness. Maybe I am not doing it right. But as long as I am getting results, I guess it doesn't matter.
Posted by: Bushido134

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/12/07 12:17 AM

Quote:

I am looking to set some flex-goals for the new year. What would be a realistic timeline for acheiving the side splits. Now before people start the usual, well it all depends, everyone is different stuff, HAS ANYONE OUT THERE ACHEIVED THE FULL SPLITS. If so, how long did it take you and how did you do it?

Please, no empty promises based upon what someone said in a book. I am looking for someone who has acheived their goal and can give me a baseline from which to measure my results and a program to emulate. Thanks

I not really sure how long it took me to get a full side split, but one thing that really helped me, is that before I do the split, I breathe in deep and slowly (around 7 sec) through my nose (making sure my stomach expands, and my chest doesn't) and then I go into a full split while breathing out through my mouth (around 7 sec).

In case you're interested, my stretching routine is as follows:

1. Side Streches (streches hip and side)
- put your feet around shoulder width apart
- lean over directly to your right side keeping your back in one plane (don't bend foward)
- place your right hand on your right leg
- bring your left hand over your head, kind of like you are doing an open handed upper block
- breathe in deep and slowly through your nose, then move your right hand further down your right leg, while breathing out through your mouth slowly
- hold the strech for a short time period, until ready to do the above step again
- once you are finished with your right side, do your left side

2. Middle Stretch (streches hamstrings)
- feet are still around shoulder width apart
- lean directly foward, placing your right hand on your right ankle, or the closest part to it, and your left hand on your left ankle, or the closest part to it
- don't stick your butt out and try to get your head in between your knees
- make sure that you breathe

3. Dynamic Groin Stretch (stretches the neck...just kidding, streches the groin)
- go into a shallow horse stance, but turn both feet outwards
- bend your back forward placing your forearms against the insides of your thighs
- push back against your thighs with your forearms, while GENTLY rocking side to side

4. Dragon Stretch (streches hamstrings)
- bend your left leg, while keeping your right leg straight, and go all the way down until your left heel touches your butt, putting both hands down in front of you
- if the above is confusing, try this: squat down like a frog, with both hand in front of you, and then stick your right leg out to the right side, making sure the leg
is straight
- point the right legs toes up towards the ceiling, and turn your body so that you are facing your right toes and your right leg is straight
- place your right hand on the right side of your leg and your left hand on the left side of your leg
- bend foward and try to get your head to touch your knee
- if you can, try to your right shoulder to touch your kee
- do your left leg (if you go back to when your toes were not facing upwards, you can shift your weight to the other leg)

5. Full Split (shows your static flexibility progress)
- the split will be down more than once, so don't worry
- feet are around shoulder width apart
- breathe in deep and slowly (around 7 sec) through your nose (making sure your stomach expands, and your chest doesn't) and then
go into a full split while breathing out through your mouth (around 7 sec)
- keep hips straight

6. Sitting Stretch (streches hamstrings)
- from full split, carefully sit back, keeping your legs in a "v" shape
- reach both hands down to your right foot, keeping the right side of your body over your right leg
- switch to left leg

7. Middle Seated Stretch (streches hamstrings)
- from the sitting stretch, face your body directly foward and bend foward, trying to reach your hands as far out in front of you as possible
- hold the stretch for a few seconds, and then try, but do not force, to get your bent elbows to touch the ground
- if you can do so, try to get your chest, stomach, and/or forehead to touch the ground
- hold for a few seconds

8. Transitional Butterfly (just a transition)
- bring your legs SLOWLY in so that the bottoms of your feet touch
- slowly bring your knees up and together and hold for a couple of seconds
- you may hear some cracking, at least I do

9. The Little Kid "Stretch" (makes my legs feel better)
- I originally did this "stretch" with the younger kids I help teach, but I like to do it
- stick both feet out directly in front of you
- make fists and hit the tops of your legs and the insides of your legs with your fists
- make palm strike hands, and hit the outsides of your legs with the palmstrike hands
- bend your knees slightly and the bottoms of your legs

10. Track Stretch (streches hips and butt)
- both feet are straight out
- take your right leg and put over your left leg
- take both arms over the bent leg and give the leg a hug, trying to get it as close your body as possible
- yep, you guessed it...make sure that you breathe
- switch legs

From here, you can do the full spilt again.

Well, that's basically my streching routine. Just remember a few things:

a) Full splits also require you to believe that you can do them.

b) If you have any questions, ask 'em

c) BREATHE!!

Good-luck!

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/12/07 01:18 PM

Thank you for your detailed stretching program and suggestions! I gave your program a try today, it was wonderfully short but directed. Do you do any warm-up exorcises before you begin stretching?
Posted by: Bushido134

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/12/07 01:32 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your detailed stretching program and suggestions! I gave your program a try today, it was wonderfully short but directed. Do you do any warm-up exorcises before you begin stretching?

I don't usually do a warm-up, although I should, however I'm lazy. But, if you every do a cardio class, or something like that, try stretching after it and add some stretch kicks to get some more dynamic flexibility.

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/22/07 02:10 PM

After speaking to several people who have attained the flexibility goal of the side split (and those who didn’t), I am finding a common theme. The secret is consistency. Those who accomplish their goal have a very simple and short stretching regiment that they follow on a daily (or almost daily) schedule. Those that fail have a very aggressive plan that is very time consuming. They fail because it is too unrealistic to stretch that long or often. They end up skipping days, or even weeks because their program is too intimidating. Of course, good technique should speed up the process.

Anyway, that's what I like about your program as well, Bushido 134. It is short, simple and proven effective.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/24/07 04:49 AM

good luck with your stretching routine Everyone. You should join the thread Stretching buddy it basically is a way to help motivate others and the more members involved the merrier as we can share tips.

Anyway keep it up and like you say you are very correct it is all about consistency

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/30/07 01:53 PM

Thank you for the invitation Tezza.

I have noticed while tracking my results that it is also important to stay consistant with the clothes I wear. My various work-out pants have significantly different inseams, which gives inconsistant results. I know I have made progress, but I am not sure how much (at least until those original pants get out of the laundry).

I have also found a good way of streaching that seems to work well for me. I have a long strap that goes from one foot then behind my back to the other foot. Each end is looped around the foot with a buckle. I lay on my back with my feet up and the strap helps pull apart the legs. I can adjust the tension by shortening the strap, raising it up on my back or putting pressure on the strap with my elbows. It's cheap to make and works well.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/31/07 04:22 AM

I definately agree with clothing. I have a certain pair I always use when stretching as the inseem is much wider making it much easier.

As for you little contraption. Sounds interesing. have you got any pictures?

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/31/07 01:37 PM

I was referring to the measurement from the crotch to floor being affected by the inseam, not how far I stretched. For an accorate reading, the same clothes have to be worn.

I don't have any photos of the stretching strap but there's not much to it. A rope with loops for your feet at each end will work. You will just have to experiment with the length. It has to go from one foot to around the back to the other foot. It is a more comfortable and controled stretch compared to a regular side split. I still do both though.

Re: 2007 GOALS - 02/01/07 09:36 AM

Well, my official measurement for the first month is 12.75 inches starting from 14. A success, but not as enough to stay on track with my goals. My plan was to drop 1.75 inches per month, this month was only 1.25.

My plan for this month is to increase the intensity of the isometric stretches and exceed the 1.75 goal by .25 inches. I can still reach my overall goal of full side splits by August.

Re: 2007 GOALS - 04/17/07 12:55 PM

After breaking my own rule of consistent effort toward attaining my flexibility goal, I am back at it. I did manage to make some progress over the last couple of weeks. Only 10.75 inches to go now. To make my August deadline, I will need to drop about 2.75 inches per month.

Although reaching my goal seems like a far stretch now, I believe it can be done. I have added some different stretching methods recently that so far have shown some dramatic results. More on that later…
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 2007 GOALS - 04/17/07 02:04 PM

Nice job on the improvement.

Re: 2007 GOALS - 12/04/07 09:43 AM

Well, it seems that my enthusiasm for stretching waned after about 4 months of consistent effort. I continued to stretch enough to maintain the gains I had achieved. My starting point for 2008 is 10.75 inches.

I am setting a goal of full side splits by the end of May 2008. I am giving less time then the previous year based upon how long I was able to devote to consistent effort. I will have to make flexibility gains of 2.15 inches per month to achieve this goal. It seems very attainable. I am also expecting the Kurz DVD to arrive within about 10 days. I believe following along with the instruction will raise the intensity and effectiveness of my routine.

Re: 2007 GOALS - 01/31/08 08:44 AM

Flexibilty doesn't come easy for me. I am making progress, down to 10". The Kurz DVD was not what I was expecting. I was hoping for a follow along stretching routine. Instead it was more of a strength tutorial. Building leg strength is said to lead to leg flexibility. I did add these exorcises just in case the theory is right. In any case, it's a good warm up for the stretch.