School Year Stretching Routine

Posted by: Bushido134

School Year Stretching Routine - 09/03/06 07:04 PM

Well, it's that time of year again! School's back!

Since a lot of my life will be taken up by school, plus homework, job, ect. I won't have a lot of time to stretch. However, I am devoting three time periods during the day to stretch.

The first one is in the morning for about 20-30 min.
The second is the beginning of PE (late morning) for about 7-10 min.
And the third is at night for about 30 min.
(Also, on 2-3 nights, there will be an extra 15 min stretch period after a home workout which will be preceded by the 30 min stretch).

Now, on to my question: What type(s) of stretches (such as dynamic, isometric, and static) do you recommend I do during the three time periods?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: School Year Stretching Routine - 09/11/06 07:43 AM

Wow, that's a lot of stretching. Can I ask what you're goal is in terms of flexiblity, what sport or MA do you practice? For anyone except elite athletes, anything more than 40 mins a day is too much. I personally think static stretching for 30mins per day, with dynamic stretching for 20 mins 3-4 times per week is plenty for most martial artists.

More than that and you're talking about the kind of flexibility that gymnasts are looking for. I suggest the above volume of stretching, so that you can use your free-time more efficiently, with weight training, cardio or whatever (maybe even more school work ).
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: School Year Stretching Routine - 09/11/06 08:22 AM

Like Supremor said, that's probably more than necessary, but it depends on your individual needs. If you do follow that plan, here are my recommendations:
Quote:

The first one is in the morning for about 20-30 min.).

Dynamic stretching. Two or three sets of as many repititions as it takes to reach maximum height. If you still have time and you're looking for static-active flexibility, static active stretching might be good here.

Quote:

The second is the beginning of PE (late morning) for about 7-10 min.).

One set each of a few dynamic stretches

Quote:

And the third is at night for about 30 min.).

Pick a few static stretches you want to improve, and do isometric stretching for them on alternating nights, but don't do the same isometric stretch two nights in a row.

Quote:

(Also, on 2-3 nights, there will be an extra 15 min stretch period after a home workout which will be preceded by the 30 min stretch).

Gentle static-passive stretching.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: School Year Stretching Routine - 12/09/06 11:24 AM

If you are going to spend time doing stretching make sure you do it correctly. You have an okay routine however it seems a lot for a start. Especially with other physical activities in place. My best advice is to read Tom Kurz's book taking specifically good notice of the f.a.q and also the routines he mentions.
The worst thing you can do is over stretch and then lose out on PE at school which will effect your schooling.
Posted by: everyone

Re: School Year Stretching Routine - 01/10/07 05:04 PM

Now that it has been a few months, have you stuck to your plan? What kind of results have you experienced?
Posted by: Bushido134

Re: School Year Stretching Routine - 01/11/07 10:14 PM

Man, I haven't signed in for a while...stupid schoolwork .

Anyway, I've developed my own streching routine that takes merely seven to ten minutes for me and works great! It streches just my waist, hips and legs though, which is fine by me for now.

And am now able to do a full side split!
Posted by: Tezza

Re: School Year Stretching Routine - 01/24/07 04:36 AM

glad to see that you have found something that works for you. We all differ with routines and will eventually find one that best suites us, like anything in life.
Glad to hear it works.