stretching up to pain tolerance for splits

Posted by: cruz

stretching up to pain tolerance for splits - 07/26/06 08:51 PM

Hi i'm wondering if it's okay to do static passive and isometric stretches for splits up to pain tolerance because when I do a either isometric or static passive stretches for splits, they cause me some pain at any level.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: stretching up to pain tolerance for splits - 07/27/06 05:47 AM

Quote:

they cause me some pain at any level.

You shouldnt feel pain that much. You are probably pushing yourself too much. When you say pain is it a minor pain or a very sore pain? You are meant to feel some pain to some extent but not too much or you could damage something.

Re: stretching up to pain tolerance for splits - 07/27/06 09:25 AM

Usually I experience a stretch pain in my muscles during a stretch and once in a while I feel sore the next day. It is hard for me to not feel pain during the actual stretch because even when I get into the position to begin a split, it hurts a little. I do usually avoid feeling too sore the next day by not going to the point of the stretch where the pain would be to much. Any suggestions?

Re: stretching up to pain tolerance for splits - 07/27/06 01:42 PM

Oh I see. What I can gauge is that this pain is coming from when you are trying to do the splits mainly. Well this is telling you that your body isn't fully ready (strong enough) for you to do so.
Therefore my advice to you is to do adductor flies for the first month and then from then try and see how it differs.
If you watch The Secrets Of Stretching by Tom Kurz you will see how he advises any newbies to do the adductor flies first to build up the muscles so they can cope with the intense stretching.
I hope this helps.

Re: stretching up to pain tolerance for splits - 07/28/06 04:21 PM

Thank You

Re: stretching up to pain tolerance for splits - 07/29/06 11:32 AM

Hope this helps. And if you do take this route please post back in the future with your results to whether it has worked for you.
Good luck