How about multi-stretches?

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

How about multi-stretches? - 05/29/06 05:26 PM

Is stretching more than "one" muscle/group a good idea?

ex. Doing a simple calf stretch, and a wrist. Or doing side lunges with a wrist stretch. Or instead of wrist stretches you could rotate them.

If it is alright to do than could you post maybe your favorite one, or a few that you like, whatever. I could list endless different ones I suppose but the cool ones are the best. By cool I mean the stretches that you say, or have learned. indeed

thanks

I don't post a lot, but when I do it's usually a peculiar question like this huh?
Posted by: Tezza

Re: How about multi-stretches? - 05/30/06 03:14 PM

When you say this do you mean as in to stretch say; your calf and then also your traps whilst doing the workout as in one after the other or do you mean doin both at the same time?
Just so its clear for everyone
Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: How about multi-stretches? - 05/31/06 03:56 PM

ya, sorry. now as I reread what I wrote it doesn't make much sense to me either.

I meant stretching two muscles at the same time. Like a hamstring and a tricep, calf and lats, etc.

Just two stretches at once to cover time a little quicker.

Oh, and stretching before and after a workout is good but what about during as well?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: How about multi-stretches? - 05/31/06 04:03 PM

Well most stretches involve lengthening more than one muscle group- think of a split stretch, you're stretching your hamstrings mostly, but also your hip flexors and synergists. It depends whether you can relax while stretching two body parts. Also, many people here will train PNF or isometric contractions as part of their stretching program, and it is very difficult to do this with two body parts at once.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: How about multi-stretches? - 06/01/06 05:14 AM

Like Supremor says there an issue with relaxation. I understand that it could be quicker to stretch two parts of thew body at the same time, although in my opinion it is better if everything is carried out properly.
Saying this it is possible to do so, although I would advise just spending a little less time on each stretch so that you can fit in the other stretches.
The main issue being able to relax. Like Supremor says this is important and imagine trying to do a PNF stretch whilst trying to do a wrist stretch. Although this is just my opinion and many others may have different views on the matter.