Wrist Flexibility

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Wrist Flexibility - 05/11/06 01:21 AM

Is there a way I can limber up my clunky wrists? I suck with the bo and I believe this should help.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/11/06 05:37 AM

The best way to increase flexibility in your wrists is to kneel down on your knees put your arms straight out in front of you. Then rotate your hands so that your fingertips are facing the ground. Now put the palms of your hands on the floor by your knees so that your fingertips are facing your knees.
After this slowly lower yourself backwards until you feel the stretch.
To stretch them the other way, rotate the hands so that the other side of the hand is on the floor with the palms facing upwards.
Sorry if this is hard to understand but it is very hard to explain.
I will look for a link for you.
And I advise you to get a book called 'Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts - S.H. Kim' as it shows all the techniques with images.
Good luck,

Tezza

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/11/06 05:41 AM

Below is a link to two basic wrist exercises which are very similar to what I was trying to explain although they dont explain the sitting down bit so you can do it standing although I feel more of a stretch doing it my way:

Site

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/11/06 04:55 PM

Thanks alot Tezza, hopefully this will help me get better with the bo.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/11/06 08:57 PM

Heretik,
I've been doing jujutsu over 40 years and the best exercises I've found for wrists is the "aiki taiso" exercises for aikido. We do several types of wrist stretches and arm stretches, and my orthopedic doctor always calls his nurses in when I go there and says "you've got to see this... " and then has me to do my exercises.

Find an aikido teacher and have them teach you the aiki taiso's for stretching the wrists. It'll pay benefits over the years... and you'll be able to handle that bo like a toothpick.

Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/12/06 12:44 AM

I wonder if the hand grinds I am always doing in Wing Chun helps the flexibility of the rists.

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/12/06 09:50 PM

Thats great to "hear" wristtwister. Thanks alot.

Re: Wrist Flexibility - 05/16/06 02:41 PM

Good luck with the exercises. The main thing to do though is practice with the Bo becuase this will naturally help you IMO.