- Fine-tuning my stretching routine...

Posted by: FreeStyleMA

- Fine-tuning my stretching routine... - 04/17/06 12:27 PM

hello,

I'd like to get some help from you guys on how to fine-tune my current stretching routine to get the best out of it.

- First I will tell you what I want to achieve:
I have done Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which is a Martial Art originally from Japan) for 9 years. It's mostly based on groundfighting like Judo, but also has some standing-up like Karate/Tae Kwon Do. But ok, that's not what my question is about.
Since 2005 I'm focusing on a switch to FreeStyle Martial Arts (aka Xtreme Martial Arts, or simply XMA). This sport requires extreme flexibility and suppleness.
I'm not totally new to working out, as I'm already training each day since last year (using a workout-dvd; Nikki Berwick - Maximum Stretching)... but I'm simply not getting the results I hoped for, that's why I'm planning a major overhaul.
Following are 2 short demo-films, to give you an impression why I need this extreme flexibility for:

[color=red]1) http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?ca...artial_Arts.WMV

[color=red]2) http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=Nikki_Berwick___Bercy_1999.WMV

Anyway, this is the current training routine I have in mind:
------------------------

Monday

Static Stretches:
Spending for about 30 minutes on different exercises (still have to plan which exercises).
Isometric Stretches:
No specific time planned, but I intend to do about 5/6 different exercises (still have to plan which exercises).
Passive Stretches:
Spending for about 30 minutes on different exercises (still have to plan which exercises).

Tuesday

Static Stretches:
Passive Stretches:

Wednesday

Static Stretches:
Isometric Stretches:
No specific time planned, but I intend to do about 5/6 different exercises (still have to plan which exercises).
Passive Stretches:

Friday

Static Stretches:
Passive Stretches:

Saturday

Static Stretches:
Isometric Stretches:
Passive Stretches:

[color=blue]* I'm planning to do the same Static/Passive exercises spread between Friday/Saturday, that I'm also planning to do between Monday-Wednesday. So you can consider this my training-cycle...
------------------------

[color=red]PS: Wednesday/Sunday I plan to give my body a bit of rest.

Some people told me that you always need to do Static stretches BEFORE Passive stretches (for the best result), I hope this is right?

[color=blue]PS2: I'm also planning to put some strengthening exercises into the above training schedule like; squats, riding my hometrainer, lifting some weights and doing push-ups.
But the problem is, I don't realy know what's best (on what days should I plan it), considering the amount of time the body needs to heal...
Would it be a good idea to also put in a training-cycle for these strengthening exercises??
(if so, on what days...)

[color=red]PS3: My main goal at the moment is to get the splits (both front- and sidesplits) ASAP.
Kicking is not problem, as I have a stable background in BJJ.
So keep this in mind if you think my schedule needs some adjustments.

[color=blue]PS4: I know it's a good idea to switch some exercises from time to time, for your body to get new impulses in order to reach new levels.
About trainingcycles, I was planning the following (the amount of exercises is just an example... the days instead, ARE scheduled):
Doing 10 different Static exercises AND 10 different Passive exercises spread between Monday-Wednesday... and than repeat the same 10 different Static exercises AND 10 Passive exercises spread between Friday/Saturday.
* Would this be a good cycle, or would you recommend me another cycle?

I hope you guys can give me a hand with fine-tuning my training routine...
Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: - Fine-tuning my stretching routine... - 04/17/06 02:40 PM

3 small remarks:

1. I recommend to stretch every day, you only need time to rest between isometric stretches and you already do that well. You don't need days off between static stretches. I read somewhere you need at least 6/7 days to get decent gains and 3/7 to maintain flexibility and you only have 5/7 so you might want to add at least a day more.

2. I don't think passive and static stretches are both needed since the difference in meaning is really small.

3. I believe dynamic stretches need to be includes in every stretching regime, and it seems like you'll need it if you want to do XMA.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: - Fine-tuning my stretching routine... - 05/02/06 01:29 PM

1) I agree with foundation, put some dynamic stretches in, they're invaluable, especially for explosive movements like those in XMA.

2) You are obviously pretty darn sussed, so just do it! It all looks good to me, hell, with that much stretching I don't think you can go too far wrong!

3) Ask about strengthening stuff in the strengthening forum - but I'd recommend having a look around first, chances are many of your questions have been answered.

4) Good luck and have fun
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: - Fine-tuning my stretching routine... - 05/04/06 06:28 PM

You seem to be a little confused about what is meant by 'static' and 'passive' stretches. A static stretch is one in which a position is held, and develops static flexibility. There are three kinds of static stretching: static passive (also known as relaxed stretching), static active and isometric. Read the thread on different types of stretching at the top of the forum.

Without seeing how the rest of your training is structured, it is impossible to comment on how to organise your flexibility training. Generally, you should do dynamic stretching after a warm-up, but before the main part of your training, and do isometric or static passive stretches after your training. It's a good idea to do dynamic stretching in the morning, after a quick general warm-up.

If you want do get the splits quickly, set aside ten or fifteen minutes in the evening to spend doing isometric and static passive stretching on alternating days.