- Some questions about split stretching...

Posted by: FreeStyleMA

- Some questions about split stretching... - 04/15/06 07:13 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and I have some questions about split stretching.

I'm almost there in my sidesplits (only need about 10 more centimeters).
But my frontsplits is a HUGE problem!!
(most people say the frontsplits is way more easy than sidesplits, but for me it doesn't seem to be the case)
- I realy don't know what kind of excercises I need to do to get more flexibility in my frontsplits.

At the moment I'm doing a lot of leg swings (10 pieces on both the left and right leg... 3 series, so 30 in total on each leg).
I'm doing the above to the front, to the side and also to the back.

-----------
I have just started these leg swings since a few days now, so obviously I don't get any results yet, but that's ok (I know it's not gonna happen overnight).

What kind of other excercises are good for learning the frontsplits??
I hope some1 can help me out on this one...

Thanks...
Posted by: Foundation

Re: - Some questions about split stretching... - 04/16/06 05:56 AM

Leg swings won't really help a lot, since that's dynamic flexibility and a split is active flexibility.
Just practicing the splits every day will get you there, but there are some alternative exercises that are better for the front split (I can nearly do a front split without ever doing front splits).
Stretches have the most effect when they isolate muscles (in contradiction with strengthening, in which compound exercises have more effect)
This site provides you with some stretches for both the front and side split.
Working Towards the Splits
Posted by: wynnema

Re: - Some questions about split stretching... - 04/17/06 04:49 PM

Quote:

Leg swings won't really help a lot, since that's dynamic flexibility and a split is active flexibility.
Just practicing the splits every day will get you there, but there are some alternative exercises that are better for the front split (I can nearly do a front split without ever doing front splits).
Stretches have the most effect when they isolate muscles (in contradiction with strengthening, in which compound exercises have more effect)
This site provides you with some stretches for both the front and side split.
Working Towards the Splits

well no, a split is a display of static flexilbity.

rest of the advice is good.

Re: - Some questions about split stretching... - 04/18/06 12:45 PM

Dang, I meant that, thanks for correcting me.
Active stretching is stretching without outside help (the antagonist stretches the target muscle)
Posted by: wynnema

Re: - Some questions about split stretching... - 04/24/06 04:52 PM

Quote:

Dang, I meant that, thanks for correcting me.
Active stretching is stretching without outside help (the antagonist stretches the target muscle)

i;m interested to hear about the stretches you do to allow you to do a split, without actually doing the splits

Re: - Some questions about split stretching... - 04/25/06 11:40 AM

Quote:

i;m interested to hear about the stretches you do to allow you to do a split, without actually doing the splits

I don't spend too much time stretching daily, I do the stretches in class twice a week, do leg swings to the front and side every day and do PNF stretching for the side split.
I don't really stretch for the front split, but somehow I can nearly do it, I don't know how either.
I provided a link to a list of alternative stretches in my last post.