what strectchs do I need to limber up?

Posted by: Zeta

what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/21/06 07:56 PM

Im tring to train for TKD so any advice would help
Posted by: mbac640

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/21/06 11:22 PM

Very peculiar message.

I suppose it's possible, but it is highly improbable that any person or place you go to to learn TKD will not also involve a warm-up routine, which includes various stretches.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/22/06 12:09 AM

Hi Zeta. You should look into Dynamic Stretching which I have found very helpful. There is a book by Thomas Kurz called "Stretching Scientifically" that talks about this and other methods to improve flexibilty. It talks about what is safe and what isn't.

This question is better answered in the Stretching Forum so I have transferred this question there (here). You can access this link in the Taekwondo Forum or go directly to the Stretching Forum to find it. If you do a search you will find others that have asked the same questions. Others on that forum will be able to answer this further.

Good luck in your search and good training.
Posted by: wynnema

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/22/06 04:16 AM

i think its time for the new moderator to do his stuff. Stupid threads like these should be locked.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/22/06 12:34 PM

What exactly is it that you are after with your stretching? To be able to do the splits or kick high? Firstly you should read current posts as many have given good examples already.
Also try reading Tom Kurz's Stretching Scientifically if you want a detailed explanation.
If you want a good book with loads of stretches in it then click here
good luck
Posted by: Supremor

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/22/06 05:50 PM

Quote:

i think its time for the new moderator to do his stuff. Stupid threads like these should be locked.

Actually, I think it's a valid question- maybe not phrased scientifically, but still valid.

My advice about limbering up is that stretching plays a role(especially dynamic stretching, see kurz above), but a very important part of preparing yourself for any physical activity, is to warm-up your body. Do some jogging, footwork drills and general cardiovascular exercise at 60% effort for 10 minutes and you'll fell much more ready for your TKD.

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/24/06 11:47 AM

Quote:

What exactly is it that you are after with your stretching? To be able to do the splits or kick high? Firstly you should read current posts as many have given good examples already.
Also try reading Tom Kurz's Stretching Scientifically if you want a detailed explanation.
If you want a good book with loads of stretches in it then click here
good luck

whats the point in training for splits for TKD. you dont need them and they wont help you kick.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/24/06 02:59 PM

I didnt mean it in that way.
I was only asking what is the reason for stretching, what does he want to get out of it.
That was all. I know that the splits are not needed I was just giving an example. If you notice when I said it, I said it as a question

Re: what strectchs do I need to limber up? - 02/28/06 09:13 AM

fair enough, I was trying to keep on topic as the orignal question - vague and lazy as it was - asked specifically about stretching for TKD.