Groin and adductor PNF

Posted by: Supremor

Groin and adductor PNF - 02/10/06 04:14 PM

Can anyone give me a good stretch for stretching the inside of the thigh- i.e. the groin and adductors, which can be used in a PNF routine- i.e. stretching the muscle isometrically. I do not have a partner at the moment so its tables chairs and walls for resistance.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Groin and adductor PNF - 02/10/06 05:21 PM

Go as far into a sidesplit as you can. Make sure your hips and feet are in line with each other. There are various opinions on which way your feet and knees should be rotated, but toes up, kneecaps pointing up, heels only on the floor works for most people and is easiest on the knees.

Tense the muscles by trying to drive your feet through the ground. While tensing, do not support yourself with your hands, as doing so will take weight off the adductors and they won't tense as hard. You can even hold a weight to make them tense harder, but don't let the weight pull you down. Hold the tension for 5 seconds, then relax and increase the amplitude of the split. You may want to put something under your feet (newspaper, cushions etc.) to make it easier to slide out further.

Re: Groin and adductor PNF - 02/15/06 05:38 AM

Thanks for that shaolin, a good variation of what I was already doing, but couldn't work out how to make it isometric.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Groin and adductor PNF - 02/16/06 12:03 PM

You're welcome.

Another way to do it would be the butterfly stretch, where the tension would come from pushing your thighs up against the resistace of your arms, but sidesplits are cooler!
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Groin and adductor PNF - 02/16/06 01:43 PM

I do both although I feel that the sidesplits are much more effective

Re: Groin and adductor PNF - 02/18/06 03:54 PM

Quote:

I do both although I feel that the sidesplits are much more effective

I agree, something about the butterfly stretch has always annoyed me. It is also a very difficult stretch to relax into.