A Little Advice Please

Posted by: Stalin

A Little Advice Please - 12/16/05 07:11 PM

Hello everyone, I'm not a martial artist in the sense of taking classes. I am not currently financially secure so I can't really afford classes. My girlfriends father was in hapkido and tae kwon do though so I work with him. I've read several books on techniques, phsycology, and spirituality of the martial arts. I apologize for talknig about myself so much, but I just wanted to let everyone know my position so you don't think I'm one of the people who see Jet Li and all of a sudden want to be a martial artist. My question is this, I am 20 years old and I have denereated discs in my back, I was wondering if anyone had any stretching techniques that wont m,ake my back uncomfortable. I waant to become flexible with my whoel body not just a certain part, so several techniques are welcome, Thanks.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A Little Advice Please - 12/16/05 08:22 PM

I would suggest talking to a physical therapist. If you have degenerated discs in your spine, stretching excercises by themselves can make it worse (ie; making yourself more flexible may make you more prone to injuring yourself due to the increased range of motion).

You may find that you actually need more in the way of strengthening work, or some combination of the two. No way to tell over the internet.
Posted by: spartanwarlord

Re: A Little Advice Please - 12/18/05 07:56 AM

Quote:

Hello everyone, I'm not a martial artist in the sense of taking classes. I am not currently financially secure so I can't really afford classes. My girlfriends father was in hapkido and tae kwon do though so I work with him. I've read several books on techniques, phsycology, and spirituality of the martial arts. I apologize for talknig about myself so much, but I just wanted to let everyone know my position so you don't think I'm one of the people who see Jet Li and all of a sudden want to be a martial artist. My question is this, I am 20 years old and I have denereated discs in my back, I was wondering if anyone had any stretching techniques that wont m,ake my back uncomfortable. I waant to become flexible with my whoel body not just a certain part, so several techniques are welcome, Thanks.

Sorry mate, but Im not going to give you advice over the internet that could potentially destory your back.

Go see a professional. If they give you the ok, then you can follow advice here.
Posted by: Stalin

Re: A Little Advice Please - 12/19/05 04:34 AM

thanks guys, I didnt think stretching could make my back that much worse so I thought some little techniques from here would help, but I'll definitely talk to my physician
Posted by: spartanwarlord

Re: A Little Advice Please - 12/19/05 07:59 AM

Quote:

thanks guys, I didnt think stretching could make my back that much worse so I thought some little techniques from here would help, but I'll definitely talk to my physician

Im just being careful for yoursake mate.

Physio(sp?) is always a good idea. Not only can they do all sorts of exercises that could sort out your back, but they can also give you a stretching plan that will give you great results and spare you back.

I had a 5 month break from the gym a few years ago. I came back and tried deadlifting what I did back then. Surficed to say, I injured my back something rotten. The physio gave me some great exercises that helped sort it out, and the stretches he gave me I still do to this day.