i need help

Posted by: zico

i need help - 11/28/05 04:40 PM

hi guys
i need help! im really un-flexable. my sensei said i need to improve. since then i have been spending about 1/2 hour a day stretching. 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 hour in evening. The stretches ive been doing ive pretty much just made up. something tells me that its not doing me any good. maybe due to the painfull 'bee sting' feeling near my knee.
im 16, weigh 9 1/2 stone and about 5ft 9. as i said before, i need help. please could someone direct me down the right path before i end up hurting myself. sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks alot
Posted by: JasonM

Re: i need help - 11/28/05 05:57 PM

Try this link..

http://trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx3#ddf_5
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: i need help - 11/28/05 07:18 PM

Ask your sensei what specific stretches you need to work on and how to do them properly.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: i need help - 11/29/05 09:44 AM

That is a good idea. But keep in mind that not all instructors know proper stretching or even emphasize dynamic stretching. For years I was used to our normal warm-up and static strectching in that warm-up. At a young age, it is probably okay, but for us older farts it is a different ball game. I believe now that dynamic stretching is the way to go for the warm-up. Since dynamic stretching is related to the kicking and striking we use in the MA. IMO..
Posted by: Tezza

Re: i need help - 11/29/05 12:33 PM

if you want to know all about different stretches try a book called Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts by S.H. Kim.
It explains every stretch for each part of the body.
It can be found here
Posted by: srv

Re: i need help - 12/03/05 12:02 AM

Ask your instructor for some stretches or concentrate on the stretches that you do at training. Also consider going to a gym or asking a trainer of some sort about stretches. Don't just make up random stretches because if you're not doing them properly you could do more damage than good. And above all, keep training hard, because with training your flexibility will improve enormously. Just don't try to rush it, know your limitations and your flexibility will improve,
Posted by: wynnema

Re: i need help - 12/05/05 12:17 PM

Quote:

Ask your instructor for some stretches or concentrate on the stretches that you do at training. Also consider going to a gym or asking a trainer of some sort about stretches. Don't just make up random stretches because if you're not doing them properly you could do more damage than good. And above all, keep training hard, because with training your flexibility will improve enormously. Just don't try to rush it, know your limitations and your flexibility will improve,

not to offend but in my experience many instrcutors and most gym trainers do not have a clue about human physiology or about putting together a useable program of stretching for MA. They still do static stretch warm ups and wonder why their students get injured so often. To get you started you need to properly sequence your stretching. dynamic stretching as a warm up, static after exercise. Work on building up to your current range of motion before exercise and work on improving it afterwards. There are tons of useful sites on then internet to help.