Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility?

Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/07/05 07:42 PM

Flexibility for me is something I try to develop solely in my legs and, to a lesser extent, my back. Most of you are probably the same way. I was wondering if anyone out there bothers with developing flexibility in the neck, arms or upper-body. In what way is upper-body flexibility useful?
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/08/05 02:41 PM

Usually your arms are flexible already, try to move your legs like your arms.
Still I train on that a bit as well, but I didn't need it so far, while the flexibility in my legs are beneficial for my kicks.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/08/05 04:21 PM

I stretch my neck everyday, also I do mostly dynamic stuff with the upper body- you know the sort of thing: circling your arms, twisting your trunk, rolling your shoulders etc..

But basically, our arms are very flexible, and no static flexibility is really necessary- just a bit of warming up the joints.
Posted by: Developer

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/08/05 05:20 PM

I guess if the arms lack the normal range of motion, than you need to develope something there. Other wise, you may be overstretching the shoulder and the elbow and you know where that is going.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/08/05 06:05 PM

I started using dynamic stretching in my warmup and that included neck rotations. I think this has helped with a pain I used to get in my upper back. If I lowered my heck forward and off to the left, I felt a pain/tightness in my shoulder blades...About a week after starting neck rotations i tried the same thing and no pain...I think something was tight back there and need loosening..
Posted by: cobra

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/25/05 12:32 PM

i was born naturally flexable, and i've been stretching since i was very small.i'm flexable every where legs, and upper. and when you get to the point of flexablilty liek where i'm at. it does actuall seem to come in handy. because arm locks won't hurt while the other guy thinks they do. so you just fake the pain. that's what i do while sparing. and alos your able to move in tighter spots sort to speak. like it's just easier to get out of types of locks if your flexable. so i think it's a plus for me. Oh and on that arm circle's thing. if you do them enough they'll make your shoulder's explode, i should know i had to do them for Band , and Rotc. !! ^^.
Posted by: JumpkickJones

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/26/05 10:46 PM

Maintaining upper body flexability has helped me considerably in ground fighting, as well as allowed me more options while fighting an opponent that uses trapping moves. It gives me more time to work out of arm locks, as well as letting me turn out of chokes more easily.
Posted by: hawkfish

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 11/27/05 12:05 AM

I didn't really think that upper body flexibility was too important until I recently noticed that I have a hard time pulling my elbow in close to my side when doing kata and basics. Now that I have been spending more time, stretching my upper body, those moves have improved a good amount.
Posted by: burby

Re: Does anyone care about upper-body flexibility? - 12/25/05 07:01 PM

i find stretching my triceps etc is really useful with weapons work, it reduces soreness because the muscles at the extremities of the arms' motion are stronger, and therefore arn't pulled quite so easily. Particularly from experience with nunchuku flexibility, although i would agree with the groundfighting thing, though i'm definately not a very experienced ground hog...