Types of Stretching Machines

Posted by: Chris Wissmann

Types of Stretching Machines - 10/31/05 09:36 AM

I'm getting ready to buy a stretching machine as a Thanksgiving present for myself. I know that stretching machines aren’t perfect (I’ve read the other threads on this topic), but I think one would make my television and reading time a little more physically productive.

Right now I'm looking at the Flex180 (see it at http://flex180.com), the MTI/Swift Royal Wheel Stretcher (http://www.superfoots.com/superfoot/wheelstretcher.html), and the Century Versaflex (http://www.superfoots.com/superfoot/newimve.html). Each seem to have advantages and disadvantages, aside from those inherent in stretching machines. I’m hoping to get some comparisons and contrasts from those who have used them.

The bottom line, though, is that I have a very small house, and do not have room for dedicated exercise equipment. The machine must double as furniture. I have to be able to sit back in the thing to read and watch TV, as if it were a chase lounge/recliner. I doubt that the rollers that form the seat-back on the Flex180 will cut it. The seats on the other two only come up to the small of the back. I need a seat-back that will support my head in a reclined position— a little more than two feet tall. And I need a seat that will recline.

Do the seats for the Flex180, MTI/Swift, or Versaflex tilt back into a reclined position?

Does anyone know if seats from other exercise equipment, more appropriate for my needs, will fit on any of these machines? How hard would it be to rig a taller seat-back into these machines? (Keep in mind that I’m not a carpenter or welder.)

I was able to get ahold of a rep for Century, who says that their company makes no taller seat-backs that would fit the Versaflex. I have an email out to the folks who make the Flex180. But I can’t find the manufacturer of the MTI/Swift Royal Wheel Stretcher (which seems to be marketed under other names). Does anyone have this machine, and if so, did it come with a manual that has the manufacturer’s (preferably American) phone number or web address?

How long are the "legs" on these machines? Inevitably, the people in the promotional photos have their feet are dangling off the end of the things. Seems uncomfortable and just too short to be practical as furniture.

Does the Flex180 or MTI/Swift measure the degree angle of the stretch as the Versaflex does?

Finally, does anyone know of another machine that might better suits my needs and where I can buy one?

Please let me know!
Posted by: rkmartin

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 11/05/05 05:22 PM

I have a versaflex, which is nice, but you should look at this also, I love it. www.karatekickmaster.com
Posted by: Developer

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 11/06/05 02:24 PM

Americans are getting lazy lol
First stretch machines,
soon you will hire machines to kick people for you, while sparring.
Hey, the rope worked for Jean Claude in Kickboxer.
Posted by: shortoption

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 11/06/05 02:31 PM

i've got a "Hurley's" mach. i'll sell you for $40. I haven't used it for years but it works fine.
Posted by: Chris Wissmann

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 11/10/05 09:05 PM

Thanks to all three of you.

rkmartin: Does the seat on the Versaflex recline back?

Developer: How about an ass-kicking clone army? (Lame, I know, but that's one step ahead of George Lucas.)

shortoption: I might be interested in your offer, but the Hurley doesn't excite me as much as the other three models because the pads that run along the inside of the leg and provide the stretch run from the groin to the ankle. My legs are bent— if I stand up straight with my feet together, my knees are still about three inches apart. I think the Hurley might put torque on my ankles or calves rather than the inside of my thigh, and that would create stress on my knees. I'm worried the MTI/Swift Royal Wheel Stretcher will cause the same problem, frankly, and only consider it because I know its seat reclines. But tell me— which model (1000, 2000, or 3000) Hurley do you have? Does the seat recline back? How hard would it be to rig a taller back on the thing? Does it measure the degree of the stretch? Let me know!
Posted by: hawkfish

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 11/14/05 06:22 PM

I have the versaflex or at least my machine looks just like it and the problem that I have with it, is that the ratchet does not allow an increase by one degree at at time. Each time you push the handle, it increases the amount of stretch by 3-4 degrees which is often too much of an increase for me. I could hold my stretch at 90 degrees without a problem but going to 94 degrees was too much of a stretch for me and very painful.

If you are going to spend $200 USD for something like this, make sure that you can try it before you buy it. I have found that stretching on my own or careful partner stretching has helped me much more than that machine ever did.
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 12/10/05 02:58 PM

Our instructor has a home made one. I made one it is working for me. I took two 10 x 2 wood planks and cut them to about 4 foot each. Bolted a pair of hinges to the top to make like the letter “A” the bolted a chain to one and a clip to the other. Pad the top of the “A” with a small pillow and sit on it. Use the chain to change the withed of the stretch.
Hope ths helped
Jason
Posted by: blackbelt3

Re: Types of Stretching Machines - 12/22/05 01:02 AM

do you still have the stretching machine?