Stretching Machines DO work

Posted by: CobraLionz

Stretching Machines DO work - 10/07/05 05:39 PM

Let me say that I have been using a hurley 2000 stretcher religiously for the past 2 months. I have gone from 90 to 160 degrees. I found the stretch machine to be infinitely useful because I weightlift, do cardio & martial arts for 1 hour 6 days a week in addition to working FULLTIME. I just don't have the energy to add in a painful stretch workout.

I read Kurtz's book at barne's noble tried it and it didn't work period. Maybe I was doing it wrong, I don't know but I felt like I just wasted time. Luckily I got a full refund...

The side split stretch is one of the most difficult stretches because it is hard to relax and get a full stretch. If you do not have a partner, there is always a certain amount of tension involved no matter how you do it. In my opinion the sitting V-sit is the best way to stretch for the side splits but it is very difficult to hold the legs fully extendedwhen leaning down, your legs naturally want to come together giving you an incomplete stretch. The stretch machine allows you to totally RELAX, and focus on the stretch. That's the key to flexibility, relaxing. If you are tense and fighting the stretch you won't make gains.

If you have a reliable partner or can make stretching a workout of its own, then yes you probably won't need a stretch machine. I don't partner stretch because the martial arts schools around my area are all McDojo's. For me the key to making gains was a relaxed V-sit and the stretch machine has helped me greatly.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/07/05 10:33 PM

Glad to hear your machine helped you gain flexibility. But do you think it will help you throw a kick, when cold? I can do the splits, and it was witout a machine, and just my own body weight. Also, I did read kurz's book and it had valuable information, if you actually took in the information. Any event, congrats on the new flexibility....
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/08/05 10:33 AM

Quote:

I just don't have the energy to add in a painful stretch workout.
I read Kurtz's book at barne's noble tried it and it didn't work period. Maybe I was doing it wrong, I don't know but

This quotes here make me actually wonder if you did read the book; I doubt you've grasped the concept of passive static and dynamic stretching.

Kurz is a leader when it comes to stretching---his methods are proven, and has science backing it.

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/08/05 10:59 AM

I agree..

Something is wrong if the stretching is painful. I came from old school, where warm-ups were static stretching. I wish now i could tell my sensei not a good idea before class. Since I have incorporated dynamic stretching into my workout, I can see the benefits and can sure kick head high when cold.

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/08/05 11:00 AM

Quote:

I read Kurtz's book at barne's noble tried it and it didn't work period.

You tried the routines in the store? I bet you got some looks?
Posted by: Talimas

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/10/05 04:44 PM

1st I would like to say I do agree stretching machines CAN help greatly. I have one that I use regularly for a reading chair.

With that being said, Kurz book is not something that you read in the store, from my experience with his book it is a very slow read with use in between reading. I personally needed to read his book a couple times through to make sure I was getting things right. Unless I am mistaken and you spent a whole lot of time at Barne's and Noble I do not believe you gave it the effort it needs to be sucessful. I am sorry if this seems bashing, and I am by no means a Kurz wannabie, just making a point not to shoot it down without proper research and use. Beyond that great advancements, I hope you continue to see the benefits of your stretching routine.
Posted by: CobraLionz

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/10/05 09:48 PM

Hey guys, if you can READ i said i got a full refund. Even though I didn't state it explicitly I would think you guys had enough intelligence to realize that I took it home as well.

I read the book and I frankly wasn't impressed with it.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/10/05 10:12 PM

Quote:

I read the book and I frankly didn't understand any of it.

See, there's the problem

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/11/05 04:27 AM

Well we can't read minds. You said you read it at borders and got a refund. Anyway, agreed you didn't understand what you read. If you are happy with the leg machines, then so be it. That machines offer a felxibility that really is not beneficial to MA.

Oh, and I would'nt be to quick to insult everyone intelligence. We are replying to what you posted and like I said, you didn't say you took the book home. And you can't just READ the book, you have to put the techniques to good use.

Enjoy the machine...
Posted by: ToddR

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/12/05 10:53 AM

My lack of flexibility is a running joke at my MA school--so much so that I've bought Kurz's book and thought about buying a stretching machine. I'm even more encouraged to do so having heard about CobraLionz' progress--man, I would LOVE to double my range of flexibility.

But, I'm also encouraged to hear about others' success with the Kurz book. So, could someone please tell me exactly what stretching routine you did, how many times a day/week, and what kind of progress you were able to make? How long did it take before you noticed a difference in your flexibility?

I see the "Sample Workout Plans" in the book for, say, kickboxing but I'd like to see some examples of other people's routines.

Based on the sample workout routines, here's what I've been doing for the past couple days:

marching w/ joint rotations = 2-3 mins
jumping rope = 3 mins
dynamic stretching = front, back, & side kicks 3 sets of 12

knees = 3x12
muay thai round kicks = 3x12

***Do my martial arts class - either FIGHT, BJJ, or hapkido OR lift weights***

Cool Down
front lunges (no weights) = 3x12
side lunges (no weights) = 3x12

"frog" stretch = 3 mins
hip flexor (piriformis) stretch = 3 mins
front split stretch = 1 min
side split stretch = 1 min

Thanks all.
Todd
Posted by: ToddR

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/12/05 01:51 PM

Oops, should've searched the Stretching forum before asking that last question. I saw MartialMike's awesome post on his experience with the Kurz book. I have all the information I need now. Thanks.
Posted by: Talimas

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/22/05 08:00 PM

Todd the biggest thing is to make sure you stretch EVERY day. Static stretches (Stretching machine) can help dramatically, dynamic drills can help just as much if not more for your actually kicking flexability. One thing I have personally noticed with myself is light stretching before a workout, finishing off a workout with a 30 min + stretching routine has shown the greatest results. I guess it has something to do with your muscles being warm and loose already along with them being tired and remembering. Not sure that this is accurate for everyone, but has shown true with me.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/22/05 08:17 PM

Quote:

Let me say that I have been using a hurley 2000 stretcher religiously for the past 2 months.

The thing is; I'm not paying anything for a medieval torture device. Especially when it only stretches one direction of movement.
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/23/05 02:11 AM

I am going to make one ome day.
Think of a a frame sign /\ out of 2x10s with a chain to adjust it to the right angle.

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/23/05 08:46 AM

I can save ya some time and money. Get a rope, put a loop in one end for your foot and throw it over a tree branch. Place you foot in the loop and pull. lol
Posted by: 7777776

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 10/29/05 01:07 AM

Hi All,
I'm a novice stretcher. I have a Veraflex leg stretching machine and have gotten from 90 to 125 degress in about 23 days. I can only go up to about 100 degrees without the machine. The rest must be just my tendon and ligaments stretching that snaps back after I take the machine pressure off. I'm 53 and never have stretched a day in my life. I've always been as stiff as a board. I've been clicking up to 130 degrees but I can't last a minute because the pain is too much. I see Cobra got to 160 degrees. (WOW) I'd love to get to 150 and max out there. How much time do you spend on your machine routine and how long do you hold the stretch when you're at or nearing your max? I'm plateauing and I feel like giving up. The pain is ridiculous. Thanks!
PS I've searched the net and couldn't find any machine routines. Does anyone know of any?
Posted by: Chris Wissmann

Re: Stretching Machines DO work - 11/05/05 11:56 AM

I posted this in its own thread and received no replies, so I thought I'd try here— I'm getting ready to buy a stretching machine as a Thanksgiving present for myself. I know that stretching machines aren’t perfect (I’ve read the other threads on this topic), but I think one would make my television and reading time a little more physically productive, and I'm looking for recommendations.

Right now I'm looking at the Flex180 (see it at http://flex180.com), the MTI/Swift Royal Wheel Stretcher (http://www.superfoots.com/superfoot/wheelstretcher.html), and the Century Versaflex (http://www.superfoots.com/superfoot/newimve.html). Each seem to have advantages and disadvantages, aside from those inherent in stretching machines. I’m hoping to get some comparisons and contrasts from those who have used them.

The bottom line, though, is that I have a very small house, and do not have room for dedicated exercise equipment. The machine must double as furniture. I have to be able to sit back in the thing to read and watch TV, as if it were a chase lounge/recliner. I doubt that the rollers that form the seat-back on the Flex180 will cut it. The seats on the other two only come up to the small of the back. I need a seat-back that will support my head in a reclined position— a little more than two feet tall. And I need a seat that will recline.

Do the seats for the Flex180, MTI/Swift, or Versaflex tilt back into a reclined position?

Does anyone know if seats from other exercise equipment, more appropriate for my needs, will fit on any of these machines? How hard would it be to rig a taller seat-back into these machines? (Keep in mind that I’m not a carpenter or welder.)

I was able to get ahold of a rep for Century and the Flex180, who both say that their companies make no taller seat-backs that would fit their machines. But I can’t find the manufacturer of the MTI/Swift Royal Wheel Stretcher (which seems to be marketed under other names, by the way). Does anyone have this machine, and if so, did it come with a manual that has the manufacturer’s (preferably American) phone number or web address?

How long are the "legs" on these machines? Inevitably, the people in the promotional photos have their feet are dangling off the end of the things. Seems uncomfortable and just too short to be practical as furniture.

Does the Flex180 or MTI/Swift measure the degree angle of the stretch as the Versaflex does?

Finally, does anyone know of another machine that might better suits my needs and where I can buy one?

Please let me know!