Wrists - improving flexibility.

Posted by: TomUK

Wrists - improving flexibility. - 10/03/05 08:57 PM

I was unable to find any information on this forum (or the strengthening forum) regarding improving flexibility/strength of wrists.

I have been training Escrima techinuqes a bit, and the floretti and redondo moves both require smoothness and my wrists just don't seem supple enough. Maybe there is nothing I can do, or it is my technique, but it leads to the question...

Is there anything I can do to improve my wrists? Any exercises anyone would recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Wrists - improving flexibility. - 10/05/05 09:38 AM

I don't know about increasing the range of motion(flexibility) of your wrists- I'm even doubtful as to whether that is possible (but I don't know).

As for strengthening the wrists- try farmers walks if you've got weights. If not, I like press-ups on the front two knuckles of my hands. I have tried press-ups on the backs of the hands- however I think this is actually bad for the joints, because I felt no mucle strain but my wrists hurt a bit.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Wrists - improving flexibility. - 10/06/05 05:09 AM

I have found a gyrociser to have really helped to strengthen my wrists. Physiotherapists use them as well as martial artists. Here's a link for more info, Gyrociser
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: Wrists - improving flexibility. - 11/05/05 03:12 PM

have you tried those little hand crunchers. they really seem to work out my wrists and also improves grip which i think is essential in stick fighting techs.if you don't know what i am talking about just go to wal-mart or sears (if available) and go to the workout sections ( where they have weights). and look for something with what looks like two handles with a spring at the top. just try doing a hundred on each hand and vary the way you hold them each time. you'll have strong wrists and also the ability to crush rocks with your bare hands in no time!! well maybe not rock crushing but you get what i mean(i hope). so give it a try what can you lose i bought mine at 6 bucks for the pair!!!
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Wrists - improving flexibility. - 11/05/05 03:45 PM

Stretching your wrists and fingers is easy. It's the only kind of stretch I frequently see people doing on the bus, in lectures etc. Just push one hand back with the other until you feel the wrist is being stretched. Hold the position like you would for any other stretch.

To strengthen the wrist, try pull-ups with the wrists slightly curled, not in line with the arm.