3-bar type leg stretcher - how long for?

Posted by: TomUK

3-bar type leg stretcher - how long for? - 10/02/05 05:31 PM

Hi,

I searched, but couldn't find any advice regarding this. Today I got given a 3-bar style leg stretcher. I have been doing MAs for about 6 months now, and wanted to look to improve felxibility, and someone got this for me.

I have ordered a copy of "Stretching Scientifically", and have poked about this site a bit, but failed to find any advice on how long I should use the stretcher for at any one time.

Is there a minimum time to get any benefit? Is there a maximum time when there will be no more benefit, but possible damage?

Currently - my belief is I should warm up a little. Use the stretcher for 20-40 minutes (watch a TV show or something), slightly increasing the stretch over the period. Then slowly release the stretch and relax. Is this about right?

Thanks.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 3-bar type leg stretcher - how long for? - 10/02/05 07:33 PM

Greetings TomUK.

There are many different types of stretching routines (static, ballistic, etc), and different ways to approach similar stretching routines.

The way that you mentioned is a good way to do it. Many MA people use a similar routine. I do not think there is any risk of damage from the times you mentioned, as long as you do not exceed a safe stretching angle.

Re: 3-bar type leg stretcher - how long for? - 10/03/05 09:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I got a little overwhelmed with all the stretching terminology from look through the forums. Hopefully the book I ordered will help me understand it all.

Thanks again.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: 3-bar type leg stretcher - how long for? - 10/03/05 09:32 AM

The book "Stretching Scientifically" will definitely help you. And you will learn that you don't need machines to help you stretch. Basically, if you can't do it with your own body weight, don't use the machine. Even before I learned of Kurz, I was able to get into the splits without the equipment. Just patience and time.

HTH...

Re: 3-bar type leg stretcher - how long for? - 10/03/05 08:32 PM

MrMoyer - I understand I shouldn't need a machine. We do stretches in class, and hopefully with this book, I can get a home routine going. The 3-bar stretcher is just a comfort/convenience/variety.

Thanks for all the advice!