Yoga

Posted by: JoelM

Yoga - 08/10/05 11:32 PM

As part of my attempts to get back into training/shape I have started using the yoga videos I bought a while back. I have a few of them but I've only done one recently because I like what it focuses on. I know the positions well enough that I only have to listen to the video and concentrate on my body. While a couple of the positions are somewhat painful due to my inflexibility in certain areas, mostly I am fairly relaxed and at peace during the session. It is a decent warmup or cooldown for a larger workout or just a de-stresser for the day. I'm going to try and do at least one, if not two sessions per day, most are only about 20 minutes, and if I'm too busy for that, I need to re-prioritize things.

Just wanted to let people know, it's quite a nice experience.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Yoga - 08/11/05 12:24 AM

Get on the ground and do some press ups you lazy hippie!!!

Seriously though, many MA find yoga compliments their physical and mental training nicely, if it 'clicks' with you then cool. Its all a bit 'gentle' for me, I flip tractor tires to de-stress!!
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Yoga - 08/11/05 12:46 AM

I've been wanting to try yoga myself, and with my recent back problems (and I have the xrays to prove it) it's looking more and more attractive.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Yoga - 08/11/05 08:33 AM

I used to bee like that, if I wasn't in the dojo I was in the gym
nowadays, however, qigong is my game and karate and wheight training are only small onceinawhile hobbies...
...getting old?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Yoga - 08/11/05 08:38 AM

Go for it! Good for relaxing those deep muscles. Personally, I don't have the mental discipline to sit still too long. I only do some simple yoga stretches a few minutes before training....and I always regret it later as it shows in my stances.
Posted by: Littlpond

Re: Yoga - 08/11/05 09:36 AM

Quote:

I've been wanting to try yoga myself, and with my recent back problems (and I have the xrays to prove it) it's looking more and more attractive.

There are many stills of yoga, just like martial arts. If you want a more vigorous workout, then try a style of yoga called astanga. very challanging and it compliments and inhances martial art performace. In my opinion anyway.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Yoga - 08/25/05 12:43 PM

Just thought I would ask: how is the yoga going? Did it work out? (no pun intended)
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Yoga - 08/25/05 02:17 PM

It's been going, not everyday, but I'm enjoying it when I do.

"We have forty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse."
- Rudyard Kipling