Stretching hip flexors

Posted by: Supremor

Stretching hip flexors - 07/15/05 04:11 PM

Can someone describe a good stretch for the hip flexors and the adductors please?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 07/16/05 12:01 AM

Sup,

I wrote this in the Kung FU section, but I think this might help. I do these excercises, but unless there is someone to supervise, this may not help you. This is an advanced, but good stretching excercise.

If you can stand next to a wall with one hand on it (preferably a corner or a horizontal bar as in a dance studio to give additional room) you want to lift the foot and leg farthest from the wall in a cicular fashion as if almost doing a cresent kick. However, while doing this the supporting foot is facing forward...no heel movement toward the kick. Also, you want this kicking motion to be smooth and move more like a roundhouse than a cresent kick...meaning the foot position should be forward, parallel to the floor, not pointing up, perpendicular to it at the apex of the upper curve.

The other key is to keep your butt where it is or just slightly moving into the direction of the kick. Do not, however, stick your butt back to make this motion easier. Also note, that you are not swinging the leg as in a door or gate and moving it side to side...you are trying to move over the the hip joint in a cicular fashion.

You should do this in the reverse direction as well so that this follows the same path as a back spinning kick.

I hope this helps.

-B

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 07/16/05 06:06 AM

That's a nice idea for a stretch...

Will it stretch the muscles needed in a side-kick though? I need a stretch that will specifically loosen up my hips for the side-kick. I realise that strength has a lot to do with it, but I've noticed that my hips and adductors are a bit stiff.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 07/17/05 11:59 PM

Sup,
I do two stretches that help with the hip for the sidekick. The first, is similar to what I have described but basically doing a slow side kick when one hand is against the wall. Be sure to keep the kikcing leg's shoulder, butt, hip, and heel in line as you strech this kick. If your foot falls forward (twists downward), dropping as your hip tilts to the inside to take the strain of the muscles, slightly arch your back and try to realign your body. Maintain this position for 10 seconds, and withdraw the kicking leg the same way as you had chambered it for the kick...do not drop the leg.

The other excercise is to sprawl on the ground, chest to floor, hands similar to a push up position, the supporting foot with the ball of the foot to the floor, the kicking leg would need to be chambered with the thigh perpendicular to the body, and then kick up straight into the air. Your leg should attempt to be 90 degrees from the plane of the floor and you should force the leg into the air by pushing off the ground with the supporting foot, hip, and with your hands. Hold this for 10 seconds. This will make you tired, but is an excellent stretch.

Regards,

-B
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 07/18/05 08:56 AM

Thanks, that sounds great.

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 07/18/05 08:57 AM

Damn my brother's login.

Thanks that sounds great...
Posted by: TaeKwonMiles

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 01/01/06 08:55 PM

I went to the physical therapist about a year ago with low back pain problems and he said that my hip flexors were tight. He told me to stretch....
1) lay on your back, pull on knee to your chest at a time.
2) with your knee at your chest, keep your should blades on the ground and pull your knee across your chest.

3) get into a deep front stance and bounce a little bit (dynamic stretching)

I found all these things helpful, but what helped me out the most was going to the chiropractor. Since then i havent had any low back pain.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Stretching hip flexors - 01/05/06 04:48 PM

Hello TaekwonMiles:

I could be mistaken however I believe to complete that stretch you're speaking of, I believe pressing your other leg into the ground simultainously is additionally quite helpful. I do not remember whether executing the stretch in discussion was assisted by laying on the edge of a table and suspending the limb afterwards was helpful or not.

Ever considered putting a small pillow unde your hips to raise the pelvic carraige doing the stretch you described?

Jeff
Posted by: taifun

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 03/07/06 02:49 AM

Quote:

Careful with the bouncing. Use this stance with isometrics instead (if you're strong enough) or stay with the first two points.
Posted by: wynnema

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 03/07/06 09:14 AM

Quote:

this is NOT dynamic stretching it is ballitic stretching and is best avoided. the risks of injury outweigh the benefits.
Posted by: taifun

Re: Stretching hip flexors - 03/08/06 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

this is NOT dynamic stretching it is ballitic stretching and is best avoided. the risks of injury outweigh the benefits.

Thanks Wynnema, this was what I was trying to say.