dynamic,static,ballistic stretching???

Posted by: kyokushinkai

dynamic,static,ballistic stretching??? - 07/09/05 03:36 PM

um I just stretch i've never really heard of these terms what are they and how do you do these types of stretches?
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: dynamic,static,ballistic stretching??? - 07/09/05 08:27 PM

Quote:

um I just stretch i've never really heard of these terms what are they and how do you do these types of stretches?

Check here.
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: dynamic,static,ballistic stretching??? - 07/20/05 03:14 PM

Geese, I guess due to the fact that every conceivable topic relating to MA has been covered and discussed on the forums, we can now lock all FightingArts.com threads and call it a job well done. Everyone can now tap into the vast archive of information through the search option, or take every site that pops up on Google as gospel.

OR, you could just NOT shoot down someones question before someone quite willing to explain things has a chance to post.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: dynamic,static,ballistic stretching??? - 07/20/05 03:27 PM

Static stretching is when you ease into a stretch, and hold it. This helps you lengthen your muscles, increasing flexibility. (Higher kicks)

Dynamic stretching is when you quickly move your limb out as far as you can, quickly bringing it back to a relaxed position. This helps you extend your muscle all the way more quickly, giving you more speed. (Faster kicks)

Ballistic stretching is when you stretch as far as you can, then start bouncing on it, forcing your muscle to go farther than it normally can. This helps you severely injure yourself. (Torn hamstring, groin pull, broken achilles tendon...)
Posted by: Supremor

Re: dynamic,static,ballistic stretching??? - 07/20/05 06:09 PM

Yes, you could have at least given him a helpful link, what was the point in posting otherwise?

Zombie has pretty much hit it spot on. According to Kurz, dynamic stretching is the most useful for a MAist, however IMO, all round flexibility is always a plus, so still do static stretching.

Best thing to do is to either look up Kurz's column- http://www.stadion.com/

Or use this rather decent article- http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/
Posted by: wynnema

Re: dynamic,static,ballistic stretching??? - 07/21/05 04:40 AM

Quote:

Static stretching is when you ease into a stretch, and hold it. This helps you lengthen your muscles, increasing flexibility. (Higher kicks)

Dynamic stretching is when you quickly move your limb out as far as you can, quickly bringing it back to a relaxed position. This helps you extend your muscle all the way more quickly, giving you more speed. (Faster kicks)

Ballistic stretching is when you stretch as far as you can, then start bouncing on it, forcing your muscle to go farther than it normally can. This helps you severely injure yourself. (Torn hamstring, groin pull, broken achilles tendon...)

dynamic stretching doesnt just improve the speed of your kicks, it improves the height. Static stretching will improve the height of kicks to some extent, but not as effectively as dynamic stretching.