Kicking cold-FAD

Posted by: pushuper

Kicking cold-FAD - 06/23/05 04:02 PM

Come on, the whole thing about kicking cold. So many people that I know pulled something doing that. Yes, If you are in a cold parking lot and some attacks you (how often, does this happen???) you don't have time to warm up. How ever I would not kick people to the head on the street cold or warm. Do you really want to take a chance of pulling a muscle in the begging of confrontation. If you need to kick, than kick low. Don't get me wront, I love kicks. I can do full split high kicks, and side and front split. (Thanks to ElasticSteel.com manual) But to pretend that you are doing Olympic TKD on the street? come one. Mr. Kurz and other have created a great marketing hype. I am wondering if he would, try to kick a big angry attacker in the head???
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Kicking cold-FAD - 06/23/05 04:51 PM

You know, stretching really dosnt do anything.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Kicking cold-FAD - 06/23/05 05:23 PM

I pulled my muscle with a kick when fully warmed up last lesson, but I don't think it was severe. (I admit it was a kick well above the head: naeryu chaggi, a downwards kick)
Anyway, if I already have it when warmed up I won't use it in the street for quite a while.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Kicking cold-FAD - 06/23/05 05:41 PM

Stretching prevents injuries, blindsided.

Stretching wouldn't do anything for you however, if your as mobile as a log. Then you wouldn't need to be the least bit flexible!

As far as kicking cold and Mr Kurz, well that is really just to prove that his method works. As far as him using high kicks for self defense, I don't know. Hell I don't even know if he is a Martial Artist!

There are plenty of proven methods of stretching, but not all of them are as safe as the method(s) Thomas Kurz outlines in his book.

I do agree that high kicking is risky as hell in self defense. I wouldn't kick above my waist myself, if at all, EXCEPT in training.

High kicks are fun and a great way to stay in shape, but thats just my opinion.
Posted by: wynnema

Re: Kicking cold-FAD - 06/24/05 08:32 AM

Quote:

Come on, the whole thing about kicking cold. So many people that I know pulled something doing that. Yes, If you are in a cold parking lot and some attacks you (how often, does this happen???) you don't have time to warm up. How ever I would not kick people to the head on the street cold or warm. Do you really want to take a chance of pulling a muscle in the begging of confrontation. If you need to kick, than kick low. Don't get me wront, I love kicks. I can do full split high kicks, and side and front split. (Thanks to ElasticSteel.com manual) But to pretend that you are doing Olympic TKD on the street? come one. Mr. Kurz and other have created a great marketing hype. I am wondering if he would, try to kick a big angry attacker in the head???

You're so transparent trying to market your product ElasticSteel by posting here.

Slagging off your competition is not a smart way to develop market share, especially when you have only been around for a short time. Regarding kicking cold, I have been utlitising dynamic stretching for some months and can kick cold with ease. As you dont believe it is possible I would say Kurz is way ahead of you in the stretching literature.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Kicking cold-FAD - 06/24/05 09:29 AM

Isn't it just more fun when you can kick cold, than when you have to warm up for an hour before you can kick high. Now I don't argue that being able to kick cold is a substitute for proper warming up, but it's just frankly something nice to have.

I would not be doing martial arts if it didn't benefit my whole life and daily routine, so being elastic all day long is great. I'm not interested in kicking high in self-defence, I just think it's nice to be flexible, whenever, wherever.

Surely this is something that is attractive to any person interested in their well-being. What's the point in being flexible if you're as stiff as a log when you haven't warmed up?