How much should i stretch?

Posted by: White-Tiger

How much should i stretch? - 08/26/04 03:29 AM

Hey all, im just wondering how much i should be stretching per day, at the moment i only stretch one or twice a week but i think i feel i need to improve on that. Most people around about my belt level seem to be able to kick higher than me (im a green belt) especialy with the RH (i can only get a RH kick to stomach level with proper technique if i am warmed up).
I am far from being able to do the splits but i can touch my toes easy enough and if i have warmed up i can put my hands flat on the ground ( i scored 37 on the sit and reach if that makes sence to anyone here).
Well enough of my rambling any help would be apreciated.

Chris
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: How much should i stretch? - 08/26/04 07:10 AM

i stretch 3 times a week, i do a little extra training on sunday get my heart rate going bike ride or run stretching and work on the bag. you might find you get some good results just adding in another day it dosent even have to be hard work, for higher kicks you need to stretch out your groin try doing the butterfly stretch (sit on the floor put bottoms of feet together and bring near to your groin, may want to push down with your elbows holding your feet)of course it will take time and you may want to do some dynamic stretches too hope this helps
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: How much should i stretch? - 08/26/04 07:47 AM

Dynamic stretch every morning before breakfast (so I can kick head height all day) as well as stretching before and after training sessions, which at the moment are only two or three per week.
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: How much should i stretch? - 08/26/04 09:31 PM

I agree with uk, you should stretch every day, but i do both static and dynamic every day. This amounts to about half an hour once you have a routine.

Re: How much should i stretch? - 08/27/04 02:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. Well ill do my best not to sound like an idiot here but what is dynamic stretching? i may have done the stretches before but i dont realy know what ones they are. Thanks

Chris
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: How much should i stretch? - 08/27/04 03:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by White-Tiger:
Thanks for the advice. Well ill do my best not to sound like an idiot here but what is dynamic stretching? i may have done the stretches before but i dont realy know what ones they are. Thanks

Chris
[/QUOTE]

Dynamic = leg and arm swings, these should always be done for at the end of your warm up (you shouldn't use static stretching at all in a warm-up).

Re: How much should i stretch? - 08/27/04 11:01 PM

Ok thanks for your help.

Chris
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How much should i stretch? - 09/16/04 02:21 PM

Question. What type of stretches should I do to be able to do a round-house kick? I'm just referring to this if I wanted to take Karate , or Tao Kwon Do classes in my neighborhood after my Wing Chun Training.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How much should i stretch? - 09/16/04 02:27 PM

Because, I know some stretches I am taught, but I want to know more and to be more flexible in my exercises. ( Sorry I didn't mention that.-_- Some say I should stick to chinese kung-fu instead of going into foreign arts. :|)