Stretching

Posted by: poider

Stretching - 06/08/04 04:09 AM

Hello, I am 39 years old and have taken up Karate with my 14 year old son, I have sore knees, to the point that I feel pain when I crouch slowly.
I wish to start a mild stretching program to increase my flexibility. I can touch my toes after a warmup but find it hard to do round kicks and my side kicks come to knee level, I would like to be able to reach at least hip level with my side kicks.
Is there a stretching program freely available to download from the internet that could help me achieve a higher level of flexibilty.
Thank you for any assistance.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Stretching - 06/08/04 07:00 AM

Go to www.stadion.com/column.html and have a read of the columns.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Stretching - 06/09/04 01:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by poider:
Hello, I am 39 years old and have taken up Karate with my 14 year old son, I have sore knees, to the point that I feel pain when I crouch slowly.
I wish to start a mild stretching program to increase my flexibility. I can touch my toes after a warmup but find it hard to do round kicks and my side kicks come to knee level, I would like to be able to reach at least hip level with my side kicks.
Is there a stretching program freely available to download from the internet that could help me achieve a higher level of flexibilty.
Thank you for any assistance.
[/QUOTE]

Poider, The number one reason your probably having problem with your knees while throwing RK and side kick is your not turning your foot out when you execute the kick. Try to follow this: Your in fighting stance and you throw a round kick without turning your left foot (your grounded foot)now think about what is happening to your body, everything is moving counter clock wise except your knee. You must pivote your foot when throwing a round kick or you will have major problems with your knees. Ask your Sensei or Sanpai to watch and cretique your kick, I'll bet your nickle to my dollar thats your problem unless you strained it some other way. Your not alone it's very common to watch newbies throw round kicks this way until they learn to pivote thier hips and feet correctly. Good luck.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Stretching - 06/09/04 01:36 PM

you should be able to increase the muscle arround the knee by doing your regular karate stretches, give it a few months
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Stretching - 06/10/04 06:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom2199:
you should be able to increase the muscle arround the knee by doing your regular karate stretches, give it a few months[/QUOTE]

Stretching won't strenthen - unless you are doing isometric stretching - which if you have weak knees you shouldn't do.

To strenthen the knees I would go with Hindu squats.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Stretching - 06/11/04 07:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
Stretching won't strenthen - unless you are doing isometric stretching - which if you have weak knees you shouldn't do.

To strenthen the knees I would go with Hindu squats.
[/QUOTE]

UK, Keep hearing about the Hindu squats, can you tell me about them in detail please.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Stretching - 07/02/04 12:19 AM

Go to http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson8.htm and http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm to learn about hindu squats.