*My Progress With Kurz*

Posted by: MikeMartial

*My Progress With Kurz* - 12/21/03 01:54 PM

I just ordered "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz. As of Jan 1st, I'll be keeping a record here of my progress. I'm currently rehabing a pulled hamstring/hip flexor combo, so by then I should be ready to put his methods to practice, and return to the Dojang. I'm expecting great things; as of right now, my side split is ONLY 5 1/2 feet distace from foot-to-foot, and I stand 6'1. That's pretty darn inflexible.
Anyways, I'll post from week to week to track my progress and thoughts!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/05/04 09:46 PM

Well, first class back at TKD since Dec 10th; Legs felt good, hips felt good, and kicks weren't hindered by tight hip flexors. But, by the end of class, my left hamstring was aching. Overall a good class.
I've been doing about 15minutes of simple dynamic streching as illustrated by Kurz on his website; front leg swings, side, and back. I won't recieve the actual book for a while, but in the meantime, dynamic stretching everyday/before class, and passive stretching after class.
*Just this little bit has helped tremedously so far. But something to note, I don't think back strength and abdominal strength can be understated. I'll have to work on that on my own time, also. Back has been aching since dropping the weight training in August of 2003.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/06/04 12:15 PM

Excellent stuff.

As for the back (and the hamstring) gaining all around athletic form will help leaps and bounds for your TKD!
Posted by: Big Bear

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/08/04 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
Excellent stuff.
[/QUOTE]

i agree.

Mike keep up the diary as i think it is a fantastic idea.
Posted by: rookie

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/08/04 02:59 PM

Mike,
Fantastic idea. I am considering buying Kurz's book. I look forward to reading about you progress and using the info to help me determine if the book is a worthwhile investment.

good luck,
rookie

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/08/04 09:50 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like I won't recieve the book till mid-Feb, for whatever reason (I'm in Canada), but like I stated above, I'm just following a simple routine, still.
2nd class back last night, and I was fairly sore still from Monday. I came into class about 30 minutes early to warm up, and after a fair number of leg swings, I felt awesome. Still, throwing high right kicks seems to strain my left ham.
I find it amazing what even 10-20minutes a day has done, though. Doing a one legged hamstring stretch after leg swings(seated on floor, right leg out, left foot placed at right inner thigh...make sense? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I can now almost place my whole hand over my right foot, whereas before, I was lucky to touch my toes. I have about 1-2 inches difference in flexibilty between my right and left, but it's coming.

I'd have to say, the leg swings seem to be the key. Most everyone seem to stress "passive stretching", even my physio and my chiro..when I explain dynamic stretching, they just look at me funny, or tell me "that's bouncing, its not safe". Until I have the book, and am armed with more knowledge, I won't argue much. But it's working.

One thing I am doing outside of Kurz's stuff is applying heat after class. It's for my hamstring, mainly, but I also apply a heating bag to my right ham and both hips, and lower back, as I'm stretching in front of the tv.
Once again, thanks for the response, and I'll keep you posted.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/09/04 11:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeMartial:
I'd have to say, the leg swings seem to be the key. Most everyone seem to stress "passive stretching", even my physio and my chiro..when I explain dynamic stretching, they just look at me funny, or tell me "that's bouncing, its not safe". Until I have the book, and am armed with more knowledge, I won't argue much. But it's working.
[/QUOTE]

They are confusing ballistic stretching with dynamic stretching.

ballistic is where you would passive strech into you best split and then bounce to get lower - this is dangerous.

dynamic stretching is natural (after all - every time we move we are being dynamic!).

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/19/04 02:32 PM

Not much new...only changes is that I've added the yoga-type "pigeon pose" to my passive/end of workout stretch routine. It's really just a combo version of a front hip flexor/rear psoas stretch, but seems to work well.

I've notice that even cold, I have a greater range of flexibility than before.

Class is going well, kicks are coming higher, although my left is still lagging and left ham still aches after class.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/28/04 08:51 AM

Still checking my mailbox everyday, waiting for the book [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Not much change in my flexibility. I have notice that my range of motion while doing dynamic side raises is better. I did slack off for a few days, and noticed after a class I was fairly sore. No slacking!
Broke one of my toes Sunday night(not TDK related) so tonight will be my first class back since Friday. We'll see how it goes.
Left ham doesn't "ache" anymore, but left kicks still feel...limited. Kicks overall feel a lot better; this i think is through a combo of greater flexibility and stronger hip-flexors.
I'd still like to achieve a full side split by Dec 2004. Big goal, no doubt, but I have high hopes.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/04/04 09:03 AM

Bah!! Amazon.com lost my order for Kurz's book. Looks like I'll have to wait a while longer; should have just ordered through fightingarts.com in the first place [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Not much has changed...still doing the same routine. Seems I made leaps and bounds, then hit a plateau recently. Just had an adjustment at the chiropracter yesterday after noticing some tightness creep back into my left hip, hope that helps my ROM.
Posted by: Big Bear

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/05/04 05:44 AM

Keep them coming Mike.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/11/04 08:32 AM

So, due to shiftwork and oainting the house, I've been slacking a bit from TKD and daily stretching. Last night, at work, I had time, so I thought I better find out where I was at.

After doing a few sets of leg swings (front/back/side) I was surprised as to how far I could stretch. I thought I'd have lost some flexibility, but it must just be a mindset to think that. I'm actually equal on both legs now; that is, I don't think that my injury from Dec is hindering me anymore.

My side-split hasn't really progressed, but then again, I'm not doing anything specific for that...I'll have to admit, stretching is a very weak point for me, considering I have a decent amount of knowledge about the human body and sports-related issues.
I'm hoping the book will be more than I expect [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: abirc

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/12/04 01:38 PM

I've been closely reading your posts and thought I'd shoot you a note and say Hi. I live in Red Deer Alberta which in the vast community of the Internet makes us almost next door neighbors.

I purchased the Kurz video as a Christmas present for myself. Since then I've been working on the dynamic kicks and spending significant time on strenghtening my abductors and adductor muscles on my legs. I've worked out fairly diligently at the gym for a couple of years now and have pretty decently developed legs however I never specifically worked on these muscle groups. I was suprised at how weak they were.

I too have noticed a big improvement in the heights of my kicks (I'm practice Kung Fu) as well as the depth and stability of my splits. I believe a big piece of this improvement is based on my increasingly stronger abductors and adductors. Whilst I have a long way to go (I'm 6' 5" and can comfortable achieve a split with 30" from groin to floor) I see small improvements each week.

Keep up the good work!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/13/04 10:56 AM

Good to hear from you, Abirc. I would have also ordered the video, but I ditched my VHS for dvd a few years ago [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I haven't started any specific strengthing for my legs yet; I find the TKD classes sometimes still leave me sore for 1 or two days after. I'd like to get back to the gym on my non-TKD days for some leg/back/core strengthing, like Kurz recommends.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/19/04 02:17 PM

So, good news/bad news. Good news is, I recieved my copy of Stretching Scientifically last night, finally! Looks like Amazon didn't lose my order, so I'll be getting another copy from the fightingarts.com bookstore; if any Canucks are looking for one, contact me. I flipped through it breifly last night, looks good.

Ok, the bad news. I re-pulled my left hamstring again last night at class, at the exact same spot, doing the exact same thing. Needless to say I'm very concerned, and worried. I've made exceptional gains, and have been fairly diligent as far as my stretching goes. Why now, I'm not sure, but it's frustrating. I made a physio apt today, and I had ultrasound therapy done, and we went over some additional isometric stretching I can do. Also, I'm going to start an abdominal program; I know Kurz pushes core strength big time, so this'll just help me out that much more.

High side kick, right side. Whats the deal? Twice I've pulled my left ham doing it, both times right at the end of class. There must be some type of fatigue component there, because I'm more than warmed up by then. Grrr.
Well, no use crying about it. I'm icing and taking ibuprofen, and I'll start light stretching again tomorrow. I'm in Mexico next week, so when I get back on the 4th, that's when I'll officially start my progress with Kurz. Next belt testing is on March 20th, and my instructor basically said I *have* to test---and I agree, I feel awesome about my techniques, damn hamstring aside.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 02-19-2004).]
Posted by: master shrek

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/19/04 07:40 PM

Hey mike been reading your posts and followups, sounds like your doing ok but that hammy. Hrmm.
hey i just recently bought the kurz book ,i am starting slowly theres so much to do and being a working man so little time, i guess most of you know this by now.
I recieved my 1st dan last june in TKD, and tho my forms and sparring techniques are good i really need to work on my height kicking. I'm 43 yrs old type 2 diabetic and was once way over weight. I took up TKD because the gym bores me and dneeded to take control of my life. hence i am doing real well now but to stretch takes an act of congress to get me going. the kurz book looks good, am going to give it a try.
As far as that hammy, Mike it happens wheen you use right side variation kicks?, if thats the case a quick note passed on to me by my instructor because i had the same thing. You need to bend the left knee a bit, and not fully extend it. when you exxtend you stretch that hammy beyond its capabilities. check it out next time.
new to the forum 1st post and hopefully not the last.
OH Master shrek as my nick..well i help teach the tiny tigers class, and i choose to shave my head..the look, hence the name..lol
..take care guys

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/07/04 12:28 PM

Thanks for the tip, Shrek. In my quest for high kicks, I just may have that left leg too straight.

Well, back from Mexico, the ham has had time to heal, and I've been to a few classes and felt good. So, after a week of all-inclusive buffets and cervezas, it's time to buckle down.

I did a bit of research, and realized that dehydration may be a major culprit in my muscle pulls. I do drink a lot of coffee, and I was taking creatine up until the beginning of this month. The combo of those two, along with not enough h20, probably lead to the pulls. Especially since it was happening at the *end* of a workout, not at the beginning. So, creatine is dumped, and I'm trying to drink as much h20 as I can.

---Interesting note: this morning, I was still fairly sore from Friday night's class. I did some very low leg swings yesterday, but nothing intense. This morning, I started doing leg swings, and thought "Jeez, how the heck am I gonna be doing this every day if I'm always sore a few days later?" Well, into the second set, BAM, no soreness, and legs swings were way up there in height. Nice to know after a warmup, even with some delayed-onset muscle soreness, a person can still do dynamic stretching.

Speaking of leg swings, anyone else have trouble using their hand as a target for side-swings? I've about 12-14 inches away from my foot, at least.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 03-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 03-07-2004).]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/08/04 10:35 AM

I know where you're coming from on the side leg swings issue... and Kurz makes it look sooooo easy! <grin>

I can't come close to my hand either. I figure it may simply be a matter of practice and time. I keep noticing slow but steady improvement so I figure the abilities will come eventually.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/08/04 11:13 AM

MM - if you exercise and the soreness goes, that usually indicates a nutrient deficiency - I can't remember which one, I will look it up.

abirc - as for the swings, check form esp. the positioning of your hips, incorrectly positioned you will never get much further than an inch or two above your waist!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/09/04 04:23 PM

[/QUOTE]

abirc - as for the swings, check form esp. the positioning of your hips, incorrectly positioned you will never get much further than an inch or two above your waist![/QUOTE]

I hear ya! I find my hips let me know really fast when I don't tilt them forward and try and throw a side kick. While we're on the topic ...... From looking at the Kurz video it's hard to tell the exact orientation of his legs with his body when he's doing he side leg swings. It appears like the direction his leg follows is slightly behind and to the side his body instead of only to the side? ... hope this makes sense....

[This message has been edited by abirc (edited 03-09-2004).]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/09/04 06:25 PM

Makes total sense. I find that the direction of my supporting foot matters more than the tilt on my hips; that is, the more my supporting foot is facing *away* from the kick or swing, the easier it is. Almost makes it into a back-kick, to a degree.

---I hope this still makes the side swings effective, since that seems to be the hardest one to master.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/09/04 06:27 PM

Makes total sense. I find that the direction of my supporting foot matters more than the tilt on my hips; that is, the more my supporting foot is facing *away* from the kick or swing, the easier it is. Almost makes it into a back-kick, to a degree.

---I hope this still makes the side swings effective, since that seems to be the hardest one to master.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 03/23/04 04:54 PM

So...progress. It's what we're all after.

It's coming along....the legs swings are getting higher, hip pain less, and high section kicks seem more natural now.

What I think I'll start working on is strength; while sitting in horse-riding stance, I can still feel a pain in my hips, and I sure can't hold it long. Time to start incorporating isometrics.

It's funny---I saw my head instructor warming up for a black belt teaching session with *his* head instructor..and he was doing dynamic stretching!! legs swings to the front, side, back. Now why don't we use these in the class warmup? I've wanted to approach him on this, but I feel I'd be walking on eggshells....I'm the last guy that should be telling him how to stretch, but *he* uses the proper way; why not his students? I'll get abck to you on this one, heh.
I'd like to see the Kurz video come out on dvd; even though I have the book, I think seeing a demo from kurz himself would be helpful.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 03-24-2004).]
Posted by: karate-do

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 04/17/04 07:24 PM

could you please give me a brief description of how kurz explains to improve the height of side kicks and to make them feel more natural, i want to get the book but really thats all i need to know im fine in other areas and the book isnt sold on amazon only on his site where you have to fill out a form etc which i cant see worth doing

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 04/18/04 02:40 PM

forget my last reply i just bought the book, is it possible to gain enough flexibility for the scorpion kick with his method? if so how long roughly if you have decent flexibility already?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 04/18/04 04:12 PM

Scorpion kick? Karate-do, you've been watching too many movies again, haven't you??? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] And hey, don't hi-jack my thread, this is about *my* progress with kurz, ok?

Speaking of which....

Kicks have been great lately. I'm actually amazed at how high they have become. And I'm not talking kick-the-ceiling-and-drink-from-a-cup high, just nice, easy head high kicks. I haven't added to my stretching regime; in fact, it's been cut down due to some busy busy shifts lately. But when I have been doing the dynamic stretching, WOW--with only one set I'm totally warmed up. I'm liking it.

I'm hesitant to add isometrics because, well..I've never done them before. I think I'll start with just praticing a simple horse stance, and take it from there...

Left hip/ham *still* is holding me back. I had to seriously concetrate the other night to get the right rotation/position for high turning kicks. I knew that'd bug me for a while, and my instructor said it would take a long time to heal.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 04-19-2004).]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 04/22/04 04:45 PM

ok i apologise for leaving the theme of the thread its a great thread though, ive been reading it since you began keep updating it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: ken harding

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/04/04 03:12 PM

I've also gone the Kurz route and it is working well so far (1 month in).

I was prompted to buy it because of recurring hammy problems so this thread has been a great one! Cheers Mike

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/04/04 04:43 PM

Thanks Ken, sounds like we're in the same boat. Flexibility was great when I was 14, and now at 30....heh. You know.

....and speaking of hammy problems, just when I think I'm in the clear....last night, near the end of class (of course), doing a LEFT high side kick, and BAM! Shooting pain in my right (supporting leg) hamstring. Grrr, you have no idea how mad I was at myself. I was feeling great, we were practicing a step-in side kick-to-back kick combo, and minutes before I was amazed at how high I was kicking. This is the same scenario as my left ham pull, and after a bit of research, seems supporting leg pulls are common in MA.
It's not a bad bad pull, and I'm icing and Advil'ing like no tomorrow. I have a TKD tourny this weekend, and I'm going. Period.
Looks like I'll have to take a serious look at a strengthing routine to add to my dynamic stretching.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/05/04 05:05 AM

Cheers mike!

Interestingly my dreaded hamstring has improved after going back to doing lots of hindu squats and free standing (unweighted) squats. I'm not advocating them as the panacea for all leg problems (you may notice the odd post or two from me on them) but they do seem to have had a big impact on my issue. Maybe they might help you. Don't start them before the tournament though and work in gradually!
Posted by: VJ

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/14/04 12:48 PM

I just ordered "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz. As of Jan 1st, I'll be keeping a record here of my progress. I'm currently rehabing a pulled hamstring/hip flexor combo, so by then I should be ready to put his methods to practice, and return to the Dojang. I'm expecting great things; as of right now, my side split is ONLY 5 1/2 feet distace from foot-to-foot, and I stand 6'1. That's pretty darn inflexible.
Anyways, I'll post from week to week to track my progress and thoughts!
[/QUOTE]

Mike, please keep this up-to-date. I'm interested and I have the same book but not really applied it. If your progress works then I'll have more motivation and know someone who knows successfully used it.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/14/04 01:16 PM

VJ,
There's no doubt in my mind it works. And really, there's not a lot to it---Kurz just (and even says this himself) it's mostly the ORDER in which you do the stretching. Because of my hamstring pulls, my progress has really, really slowed down. I'm still only doing dynamic stretching, but even doing that twice a day gave amazing results.
But it's funny--my kicks became a lot higher, smoother, but my static flexibility hasn't changed as much. Increased, yes, but not like my dynamic flexibility.

I'll keep posting here as long as I have two legs [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Right hamstring is coming along---still sore after light leg swings and passive stretching; but my right sided kicks are back at 100%, as strange as that may be. Left leg swings are chest height, at best. I didn't go back to the physio after this last pull---I figured I knew what has to be done now---strengthen, and DILIGENCE. Despite what I may harp on about, I tend to slack when things are good, and buckle down when things are bad.

I'm still not 100% sure about isometrics; I'll have to go back and re-read that chapter. But my plan is as follows:

Dynamic 2x a day, passive post-class, off days to start included hamstring curls, stiff legged deadlifts, core development. Also would like to include propioception work on a wobble board.

And damnit, I still want to be able to do the splits by the end of the year [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/15/04 04:09 PM

my side split is at the stage of the picture on page 71 in the book "stretching scientifically" and it states there that some people who have weak knees will "experience problems" it causes me alot of pain and then loose knees for days after so i do the stretch shown below, it states though that there are strength excersises that can be done to remedy this which kurz says at the bottom of page 123 are "leg extensions,leg curls,squats,deadlifts" firstly in what line of motion are the leg curls and are deadlifts dangerous to a 17 year old, or just dangerous at your maximum load or something also if the strength excersises like deadlifts are harmful which i think they are do you think thatleg extensions with ankle weights would be a better idea or that theyd make little or no difference to normal leg extensions and just for the record ive been following the stretching method for 4 days now but only doing the first set of stretches in the morning on weekends on weekdays ive had to do them at 4pm.Id like to say thanks in advance for your replys [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/15/04 08:23 PM

Karate-do, did I not ask you once already to not hi-jack my thread? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/16/04 06:01 AM

i was just asking you because i thought youd know

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/17/04 06:54 AM

Good to see it's goinf well Mike. I've picked up a groin strain (thought I had a bloody hernia at first but that's been ruled out). Can't find much in Kurz to deal with it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/17/04 09:37 AM

That's too bad, Ken. If it's one thing it's another, eh? Tonight will be my first night back to TKD class in about 2 weeks; The hammy feels better, but not 100%. ***No more injuries, damnit!*** I want to start making progress again, not sit on the sidelines.

I've ordered a copy of Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning". I tried a few of those Hindu squats the other day, and yeah, felt it in the quads for sure. I realize there's no magic secrets in his theories, but I thought it would be a good read.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/20/04 04:56 AM

Still training as some movements are ok. I do feel a week of complete rest coming though as I feel I've over done things of late. Maybe my muscles have just had enough for a bit!

Hope your progress carries on mate

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/25/04 04:08 AM

I have been diagnosed with something called "Gilmore's Groin". Bloody nightmare and may be a surgical fix in the future. Training suspended bar physio stuff for a couple of weeks. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/25/04 05:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ken harding:
I have been diagnosed with something called "Gilmore's Groin". Bloody nightmare and may be a surgical fix in the future. Training suspended bar physio stuff for a couple of weeks. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

What is Gilmore's Groin?

I take it is a specific type of injury?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/25/04 06:26 AM

UK Here is a rough cut from a sports injury web site.
Gilmore's groin involves a tear of the adductor muscles, usually high up near the attachment to the public bone. It is sometimes called the Sportsman's Hernia, there is not actually a hernia present. It is common in sports were a great deal of strain is placed on the groin and pelvic area such as soccer.

Although injuries vary, the features of a Gilmore's groin include a torn external oblique aponeurosis (ribbon like structure), tendon torn from the pubic bone.

Symptoms include:

Pain in the groin increased by running, sprinting, twisting and turning.
After training the athlete may be stiff or sore.
The day after training / playing the athlete may have pain when turning or even getting out of a car.
Coughing and sneezing may also cause pain.
It is claimed that in 30% of athletes there is a history of sudden injury but the majority indicate it to be a gradual overuse injury.
Bloody unpleasant it is too. Am trying for the rehab minus surgery option at the moment so here's hoping [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/28/04 01:04 AM

Ken : Hope that tear isn't too bad; what degree tear did the doc diagnos?--sounds like a common MA-type injury! Good luck.

Me: Back on track! Classes have felt better and better---although left sided kicks are nasty! My right hamstring is still tight, and sore after class, but progress is being made. I wasn't going to test for my green belt, but my instructor says I should. We'll see. If I'm injury-free, and my flexibility in my right ham improves more, I will. At this point, I feel "passable", but I don't want passable----I want precision, speed, and power.

Bah, maybe that's why I keep getting injuried.

Dynamic stretching is still the core, although I'm adding more passive static throughout the day. As an interesting note, my right-side leg swings are a bit higher, but whats cool is I can SLOWLY swing my leg up to max height; balance, isometric strength, and flexibility feels great.

My left, pfft. That's another story

(For those that may be confused by my tale of injuries--left ham twice, right ham recently once. All pulls happened on the supporting leg)

Ok, so NOW when on earth am I gonna get my ass to the gym and start doing squats and deadlifts?!?! I keep putting it off, either because I'm injuried, or I have a belt testing. I'm sure this will make a huge difference once I start--it's just a matter of making more time, as with most things.
So, at the end of last nights class, I attempted a side split; well, you know what I mean. No where close to a split, but much farther apart than I had ever been before. I think in a previous post I had measured at 5 1/2 feet from heel-to-heel--I was on 1 by 1 tiles, so it was easy. The dojang is hardwood, so I have no idea.

But progress is there, and that's all I need. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Got my copy of Combat Conditioning today, I'll check it out and add comments here.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/01/04 08:09 AM

Grade 2 mate though I am not so sure. Busy re habing at the moment. I actually did a light session last week though bowed out of anything hectic and felt no worse for it.

Will try again on Thursday and see if I can do a little more. If not it's back to rest. To cap it all received Combat Conditioning in the post last week. Couldn't resist a "Royal Court" session albeit a short one. Interestingly bridging (not done that in 20 years!) made everything feel a whole lot better but that may be first flush enthusiasm. Keep going with it!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/01/04 10:24 PM

You ordered a copy also? Heh, that's kinda interesting. We'll have to track each other's progress; perhaps this thread should be re-named:
"How Ken and Mike Battle Injuries"
or....
"Ken, Kurz, Mike, and Furey"

So far, I like the book. I can see how Furey's methods would be more applicable to martial arts training, than say, heavy resistance training. HOWEVER....

Furey makes it sound like if you lift weights, you'll be an inflexible, weak, injury-prone zombie. I cannot, for the life of me, see how weighted squats, lunges, and stiff-legged deadlifts could be anything but benificial to a martial artist. If anything, the lack thereof has made me more injury prone.

Also, he makes some pretty "out-there" claims about doing hindu squats (They'll condition your internal organs) and I'm not sure about that spinning exercise. Do you do that at the beginning of your workout, and fight through the dizzyness, or at the end, so you can vomit with a sense of accomplishment?

Regardless, I'm slowly adding hindu squats and pushups; We do a (very) shortened version of the bridge in-class already, but I'm extremely hesitant to try a bridge on my forehead, let alone my nose. I'd like to hear from others about that one.

...Other than commenting on Combat Conditioning, nothing new in the Kurz department. Still doing dynamic stretching, pretty much 2x a day. Going to test on June 12th, so I'm not making any radical changes to what I'm doing now. After the testing, I'm implement more stuff into my program over the summer.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 06-02-2004).]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/07/04 11:17 PM

Looks like a bit of a forum rollback; at least all posts didn't get deleted!

One thing new---at the advice of my massage therapist, I started taking magnesium. She had mentioned that I had "extreme" lactic acid buildup (yes, you can palpate it, or the effects of, more likely) and said magnesium would help buffer it. Well, I took it one step further. Picked up a post-workout mix caled CytoMax. I had tried it years ago, just thought it was expensive gatorade. It's a mix of glucose polymers, potassium, and sodium. SOUNDS more or less like gatorade. Wellll.....

First time I tried it(taken before and after class) I felt awesome the next day---no next-day-gimp-legs. Pfft, could be nothing more than a placebo effect. So, I upped the bar.

In a classic Mike-pushes-the-envelope style, I biked to work (10km, and having to do a big valley on the way), then biked to TKD after work (maybe, oh, 4-5km), had an hour of class <which I ended up sparring a red belt, 3rd dan black belt, and a 1st dan black belt! woot!>, then biked home about 6km(back up the valley). The next day? Felt GREAT!!!

I hope this continues; the "sore" legs has been a bit of a crux in my training, and once again, may have contributed to my injuries. UKFF had mentioned a specific deficiency that would cause increased muscle pain and cramping, and it could very well have been potassium, as that is a sign of hypokalemia. At any rate, seems to be working.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 06-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 06-07-2004).]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/21/04 11:04 AM

Mike - how is it going?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/22/04 10:17 PM

Progress is there. Last week did my testing, and all went well. Like I had stated, after this testing, I wanted to change up/add on to my workouts.

This will include a combo of specific leg strength training, core work, and possibly some endurance training for sparring. Of course, stretching will be an everyday thing. I want (heck, need) my flexibility to improve a great deal; I'm at the level now where more dynamic kicks are being taught (spinning hook kick, jumping reverse cresent, etc), and flexibility and strength are essential for progress.

As far as injuries go, things seem good. There's still a fair amount of restricted range of motion in my right hamstring, and this is very evident in my left leg kicks. But, live and learn....

As a side note: My wife is quite the workout freak, but up until recently, *NEVER* worked on flexibility; Cold, she couldn't even get her fingertips close to the ground while standing. After only one month of post-workout passive static stretching, she can almsot put her palms on the ground while standing, cold. !!!! She's an avid runner and lifts weights 5 days a week---so, how important is strength? She just proved it.

Ken : How's the injury? I slightly pulled a hip flexor doing a spinning kick, and thought "holy hell, I hope it's not a Gillmore!!!"

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/23/04 04:57 AM

After lots of physio it's become a nagging ache and I am training almost as normal.

I'm back on the Kurz routine and have a daily workout sorted out which is Warm Up, Dynamic stretches to start, then a mixture of some Furey exercises and a body weight set taight to me some years back by a friend of mine who was a PT instructor in the Royal Marines at the time.

This week should see the start of some short sprints again to see how the groin holds up under pressure. I'm into the last 5 weeks of training before my Dan grading now and have to say confidence aint too high at the moment regarding whether or not I will pass but I always get up tight before gradings so we'll just have to see.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 07/06/04 04:06 AM

Broke my bloody toe in a stupid accident. Hooooowwwl. Training on a fractured little toe bloody well hurts. Who'd have thought a tiny digit could be so important !

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 07/06/04 12:03 PM

I can totally relate, Ken! Did the same thing a while back, 4th digit on my left foot. All I can say is tape it, and let it heal!

So, I rigged up a pulley system for stretching, similar to the Flexi-max stretching aid. Basically, it's just a pulley with a rope through it, and I use to to stretch in various kicking positions.

I like it, and I know it may not be any better that the basic passive static ground stretching, but it's "another tool in the toolbox".
Hours at mt TKD dojang have been cut for the summer, so I'll have to do more on my own time. Re-newed my membership at the local university gym, so I'm eager to get in there and work on those deadlifts [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 07/14/04 12:22 AM

Well, gains keep coming. I think I'm at the point now where my muscles are a lot more conditioned that before; max flexibility comes very quickly, and my muscles aren't sore the next day.

Right sided kicks feel smooth, and very controlled. On the other hand, left sided kicks still feel awkward and restricted at times. I'll have to work on that.

Still using the pulley-leg stretcher---I like it, as I stated last week. I've noticed my hamstring stretches are progressing, but adductor (abductor?) inner thigh muscles need work---when sitting on the floor, legs spread apart, I have a *VERY* difficult time lowering my torso to the ground. I'm not sure if this is lower back or some type of hip inflexibility.

At any rate, I'm injury-free, and progress is there, and even if a little, I'm happy.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 07/14/04 08:21 AM

Adductor = inside of leg
Abductor = outside of leg

legs apart, torso down, mailing a lower back stretch.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 09/21/04 08:58 PM

Long time no post!

I got hit pretty hard this summer with a chest infection (go figure) and had to take a whole month of training off. But I've been back at it a while.

No major changes; starting to incorporate hindu squats and some upper body strengthing, and that's about the only new item. What I want to do and what I end up doing always seems different.

--As far as flexibility, it is increasing, but slowly. My left side kick now feel a helluva lot smoother than a few months ago. Very little if any hip pain at all, and range of motion has gradually increased. I'm still sticking to the same dynamic legs swings, and passive stretching on days off/after class.

I have no doubt that if I added more, I'd become more flexible, faster. Between work, summer holidays, chest infections, and great weather for mountain biking, I've found it a bit hard. I plan on testing in Dec, so as it gets colder, I'll be in the dojang more.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 09-22-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/07/04 05:12 PM

hy mike
im from peru im 22 years old and i ve been practicing karate since i was 18
it is a great idea posting your progress with with KUrz i use to read his articles in his site and i have some doubts maybe you can answer:
martial artists have to develop dynamic stretching (according to kurz leg raises are the way)so whats the reason for isometric stretching ?
what are you doing to MAKE your kicks higher?
Do your goal is making splits?
i hope not bother you with my questions
i ll very glad if you answer
thank you

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/07/04 06:32 PM

I, too, am interested in this one. Is there anyone on this forum who has actually gone from, say, knee-high to head-high kicks using Kurz's methods? If so, what were your workouts really like?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/09/04 12:52 PM

Hey everyone this is my first post on this form, but I have read up some on kurz's dynamic stretching and have been trying to implement it in to my routine.

I was wondering if anyone had noticed that the stretches are a lot like ballet. My girlfriend did ballet for something like 10 years and I have been telling her about these stretches and they are almost exactly like what she used to do. I guess it makes sense they have pretty high kicks in ballet.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/09/04 10:58 PM

Easily, ***EASILY*** have gone from waist-high kicks to head high kicks, with only dynamic and passive stretching. If I had to pick one, and only one form of stretching, it would be dynamic.

And no, heh, haven't even come close to a full split. I'd be the first to admit I don't work on my static stretching; since I've made so many gains using only dynamic, I doubt I'll attempt a full split.

But it does amaze me how high I can kick, yet appear so inflexible during passive static stretching.

Attaining full dynamic flexibility seems to come a lot faster, like Kurz had mentioned in his book. I do only one or two sets of legs swings (front/back/side), so 6 total, before class, and I'm good to go.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/10/04 04:35 AM

Mike,
1. You say you went EASILY from waist-high to head high kicks. How long did it take to reach head high from waist?

2. You also say you did/do 2 sets of front, back, and side leg raises. Did you use a "target" to keep raising your leg higher and higher?

3. What, when, and how often was your static (relaxed or isometric) stretching done? Same question for dynamic raises.

4. Finally, I can kick head high to the front, but cannot from the side or back. Is this unusual? What this results in is that I can't kick head high in a roundhouse.

Thanks for responding

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/10/04 06:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DP07:

4. Finally, I can kick head high to the front, but cannot from the side or back. Is this unusual? What this results in is that I can't kick head high in a roundhouse.

[/QUOTE]

This is normal, as difficulty in side kicks are usually the result of poor adductor strenth and kicks to the rear rely more on trunk strenth.

Also for both the mechanics of doing the kick are a lot harder than front.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/12/04 12:18 AM

Mike,
1. You say you went EASILY from waist-high to head high kicks. How long did it take to reach head high from waist?

2. You also say you did/do 2 sets of front, back, and side leg raises. Did you use a "target" to keep raising your leg higher and higher?

3. What, when, and how often was your static (relaxed or isometric) stretching done? Same question for dynamic raises.

Thanks for responding
[/QUOTE]

1. Probably about 2 or 3 months; I know Kurz says it can be done in a much shorter period of time, but you have to consider age/current flexibility/time to commit to stretching. That being said, it's been the last 3 months of a year of training that I've noticed head-high kicks that come easily.

2. I *now* only do two sets----when I started out, I'd do at least 4 sets per leg, per direction, twice a day. And no, I never did use my hand as a target. I did at first for front leg swings, but I never did for side---I could never touch my foot [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Theory of the target is to stop the swing from becoming balistic. I just ease into the legs swings, and try to "swing" my leg, not fire it as high as it will go.

3. Relaxed passive stretching: only ever done after class now, when I am fully warmed up. After my first hamstring injury, my physiotherapist recommended multiple intervals of passive relaxed stretching throughout the day; not a bad idea, but there are more effective ways to gain flexibility.

Isometrics: Never tried, yet.
Dynamic: Twice a day, when I'm diligent about it. Morning, warm up by marching on the spot, doing joint rotations, then work up into dynmaic leg swings. I find this tough to do, first thing in the morning. Then, before my TKD class.

4. Front kick involves pretty much only hamstring flexibility, and that's why it's easy to gain height here first. Like UKFF said (and he's the true expert on flexibility and conditioning) Side kick involves adductor strength, and a great degree of hipflexor involvment and body mechanics. This is the kick were I pulled my supporting leg hamstring 3 times.

Roundhouse (Turning, depending on your terminology) was, and still is to a degree, my nemisis. I had achieved high front and side kicks long before my roundhouse kicks. to this day, my left roundhouse kick suffers due to a bad injury to my right hamstring.

Although flexibility is obviously important here, I can't stress enough about proper kicking mechanics. Just by turning the supporting foot more, bending properly at the waist, you can totally change how easily, and high, a kick is delivered.

Last note: Don't push it, but work consistantly at it. I look back at the year, and despite injury, time away from training, I've made amazing gains, using very simple technics. It can be done!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/12/04 04:51 AM

Mike,
Thanks so much for responding. This is by far one of the most useful threads on this site.

1. As far as reps, I'm assuming you now do 2 sets (of 10 reps each) per leg: front, side, back? I'll follow your advice and see what happens for me. (Also will do strength work on ab+adductor pull downs with resistance).

2. Any stretching advice for keeping my toes pointing down and out of the way for proper strike in a roundhouse kick? My toes don't like to get out of the way and are constantly getting messed up in RH kicks.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/13/04 11:08 AM

Mike,
Thanks so much for responding. This is by far one of the most useful threads on this site.

1. As far as reps, I'm assuming you now do 2 sets (of 10 reps each) per leg: front, side, back? I'll follow your advice and see what happens for me. (Also will do strength work on ab+adductor pull downs with resistance).

2. Any stretching advice for keeping my toes pointing down and out of the way for proper strike in a roundhouse kick? My toes don't like to get out of the way and are constantly getting messed up in RH kicks.
[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, that's pretty much it now. Remember, though: effort given = results recieved. If I put in as much time as I did when I was trying to make gains, I still would be.

2. Funny you mention toes and roundhouse kicks. We are taught to strike with the ball of our foot, toes pulled back, in the style of TKD I'm in now. When I was in karate, we were taught to strike with our instep, toes pointed.

I've found it's much harder to execute a roundhouse with the toes pulled back--our head instructor calls is "floppy foot syndrome", hehe. Other than practice, practice, practice. Working on a heavy bag will help a great deal here.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/13/04 05:02 PM

ive since read the book now and use dynamic stretches twice a day but when i started stretching i went from waist high side kicks to head height side kicks in 4 weeks i think equal progress can be made with static stretching in the early phases but once your flexibility is decent dynamic stretching plays a much bigger role.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/14/04 09:59 AM

all i do to help with my strecthing is do splits anytime of day that i can and hae free time, if you are really on-going about it ull have good stectches and higher kicking heights in notime (few months i would say)

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/17/04 09:09 AM

HY MIKE
I ve been following your posts for a time and i really think this forum its a great idea.
1 you said that in order to develop dynamic flex its necessary to doing leg raises (front, back ,side) in the morning. But i dont kwon if a previous warm up is needed?
2 what do you think about PNF method? is it better or worse than isometric stretches ?
3 How many times a week do you do passive stactic stretches? and how many repetitions per muscular group do you do?
4 what would you recomend me to improve height in my roundhouse kicks beside the dynamic stretches ?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/17/04 03:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aoshi:
HY MIKE
I ve been following your posts for a time and i really think this forum its a great idea.
1 you said that in order to develop dynamic flex its necessary to doing leg raises (front, back ,side) in the morning. But i dont kwon if a previous warm up is needed?
2 what do you think about PNF method? is it better or worse than isometric stretches ?
3 How many times a week do you do passive stactic stretches? and how many repetitions per muscular group do you do?
4 what would you recomend me to improve height in my roundhouse kicks beside the dynamic stretches ?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to but in,

1. A few minutes of marching on the spot to warm the body, followed by joint rotations should be enough - some people have to do more than others, if you are young, a few mins should be fine.
2. To do Isometrics in the way tom kurz performs them, they use PNF principles.
3. Personally I only do static stretches after training, so about 3 or 4 times per week, this normally sees me to a decent split, and I normally spend around 15 - 30 seconds per stretch and normally do it twice, depending on how I feel.
4. Use correct strenthening exercises to increase your ability to perform them - dynamic stretches will help with height, but not power. Again go to www.stadion.com for advice.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/18/04 03:56 PM

hy ukff
thank you for your replay
im 24 and i dont know if its too late for me attempting splits
i can see that you are and expert in this issue and i want to ask you something
1 how many times a week should i do isometric stretches ?(dont worry for my strenght its ok [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )
2 what would happen if i do dynamic stretches 3 times a day?
3 what muscles should i stretch to do slipts (both side and front)
well thats all thank you

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/02/04 08:46 AM

So, I've finally got a strength-training program going in addition to my regular TKD classes. It was put together by a certified trainer and former kickboxer, so I'm excited to see results.

A lot of it focuses on core stability and proprioception, so it's free weights/balance boards/stability balls. I'd done the workout (which is full-body, and for now, that's fine) a few times, and it rocks.

My adductors have taken a beating, though. But, once I'm warmed up in class, it doesn't seem to affect my kicks. As long as I'm diligent about stretching, I'm looking forward to gains in flexibility secondary to strength grains.

Also....I've started seeing a chiropracter again, who specializes in A.R.T. (Active Release Therapy); it's basically a deep myofascial massage. Because of my previous hamstring injuries, and at prompting from my regular massage therapist, I've looked into this. And?

It's made an obvious difference in my ROM (range of motion) of my left hip and leg. What I thougt was scar tissue in my hamstring that was causing my kicking difficulties was actually scar tissue in my HIP. Makes sense. AT any rate, problem is fixed, and now my left versus right kicks are very close to equal again as far as power and height.

I've rambled enough for now. Belt testing in a week!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/03/04 08:47 AM

hy ukff
thank you for your replay
im 24 and i dont know if its too late for me attempting splits
i can see that you are and expert in this issue and i want to ask you something
1 how many times a week should i do isometric stretches ?(dont worry for my strenght its ok [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )
2 what would happen if i do dynamic stretches 3 times a day?
3 what muscles should i stretch to do slipts (both side and front)
well thats all thank you

[/QUOTE]

As for attempting a split anyone in the right condition can go for it, in the end a 24 year old unfit individual will struggle more than a 54 year old who is fit and strong.

Before anything make sure you can run (not jog) for around two miles taking large strides.

1/ Isometrics - unless you can squat your bodyweight on a barbell easily for 10 reps and deadlift twice your bodyweight for 1 or 2 reps don't bother doing them. Get strong first or else you will probably just get injured, or cause injuries to your back, at the moment I have had a lay off so I am not doing isometrics - because I'm sensible.

2/As long as you do not get fatuige from dynamic stretches 3 times is ok, but really a morning stretch and a stretch before training should suffice (so twice is fine)

3/concentrate on adductor (inside of leg) and hamstring stretches. But in the end the best stretch for a split - is a split!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/10/04 05:38 PM

UKFightFreak: are you talking isometrics or plyometrics? I've often heard the advice to be able to squat one and a half times your body weight and deadlift at least your body weight in regards to some plyometric excercises, but never about isometrics. The definitions I'm thinking of for the two have plyometrics going from full extension to full contraction in as little time as possible for explosive power such as a drop jump whereas isometrics would be to push or pull against a stationary object in order to make muscle more toned such as trying to curl a countertop.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/12/04 04:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dralin:
UKFightFreak: are you talking isometrics or plyometrics? I've often heard the advice to be able to squat one and a half times your body weight and deadlift at least your body weight in regards to some plyometric excercises, but never about isometrics. The definitions I'm thinking of for the two have plyometrics going from full extension to full contraction in as little time as possible for explosive power such as a drop jump whereas isometrics would be to push or pull against a stationary object in order to make muscle more toned such as trying to curl a countertop.[/QUOTE]

The reason for the need for strenth for Isometrics is for several reasons. The easiest to explain are that without the strenth Isometrics are not as effective.

Other reasons are that the muscles used in these particular type of isometrics i.e. the isometric split uses muscles that are often neglected completely out of most work out routines.

The final which is the most important is that in any exercises your trunk and legs need to be several steps ahead of hip flexor and adductor strenth - the isometrics will increase streth quickly and could cause damage to the lower back.

In the end the stronger you are the easier and faster is should be to acheive a full split.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/16/04 02:12 PM

Hey Mike,

Sorry for jacking your post but this is one of my first posts in the Stretching portion of the Fighting Arts. It seems we have much in common with you being in Lethbridge, AB and myself in Fort Saskatchewan, AB. As well we both are in TKD (currently 3rd gup red stripe) and have experienced many pains and stretching problems. I also have been weight training (7 years now) and am 36 years old.

After 2+ years in TKD I still have limited stretching and hence why I am now reading this part of the forum. Your thread is an inspiration to say the least and look forward to more progress on your part. This, I guess, is my first step to admitting I have a problem and am now willing to try to fix it. Keep posting and good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 12-16-2004).]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/16/04 08:27 PM

Hi Dereck!

No worries on the post-jacking, it's nice to hear from others in my area, or to hear that my ramblings are actually read!

Up until about 5 years ago, I used to live in Sherwood Park, so I know your neck of the woods quite well [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I have to admit, I've learned a lot about flexibility since starting TKD. There's a startling contrast to what is taught in class, and what I've read in Kurz's book. In a way, my injuries and lack of progress have pushed me to educate myself.

I recently just tested for my blue stripe, so I haven't been hitting my core-stability workout too hard. I plan on kicking it up come January.

*I originally had the goal of complete splits by this time. Not even close. But could it of been done? I believe so. I've achieved my goal of head-high kicks, but when I view some of the younger students, I can't help but feel I need to push harder in this area. I have the knowledge, I now need to apply it. In full.*

Regardling flexibility and age: Our head instructor can do a full split, cold--yet he doesn't teach "Kurz's" method. He attributes it to starting TKD at a young age, although I did catch him once doing side leg swings before a black-belt class. I still need to ask him about this, since there are very few of us in the class that understand anything about dynamic stretching.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/18/04 01:14 PM

hy mike
whats up man i need to tell that your posts are really interesting and personally i find them awesome
well i have some questions for you (and for anyone who wants to answer)
what would happen if i do dynamic stretches three time per day? would i improve in less time?

dynamic stretching is only to kick with no warm up or i will increase the high of my kicks too?

and finally with raising leg front back and side will i be able to increase the high of my roundhouse kick (mawashi geri or dolio chagui for tkd) and my invert turming kick (ura mawashi geri or furio chagui or nako chagui for tkd)?
thanks

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/21/04 11:39 AM

hy mike
whats up man i need to tell that your posts are really interesting and personally i find them awesome
well i have some questions for you (and for anyone who wants to answer)
what would happen if i do dynamic stretches three time per day? would i improve in less time?

dynamic stretching is only to kick with no warm up or i will increase the high of my kicks too?

and finally with raising leg front back and side will i be able to increase the high of my roundhouse kick (mawashi geri or dolio chagui for tkd) and my invert turming kick (ura mawashi geri or furio chagui or nako chagui for tkd)?
thanks

[/QUOTE]

Hiya Aoshi,

Glad you find my posts useful; to best answer your questions on dynamic stretching, check out www.stadion.com . There should be a link there to Mr. Kurz's articles on stretching.

Dynmaic stretching WILL increase your kicking height; in fact, that's the single best way. As to if doing it 3 versus 2 times a day is better, I believe Mr Kurz stated somewhere that there's no benefit. That being said, if you have the time, you can try, and see if it works for you.

For roundhouse kick (mawashi geri, turning kick, etc) in addition to doing front/back/side, try adding cresent kicks to your dynamic regime. I add these at the end of my warmup---they seem to loosen the hips a fair amount.

As for me----not much happening over the Xmas holidays. My belt testing was VERY successful, and Mr J.J. Lee (Our Grandmaster) made some glowing comments about my form to the crowd at th end. Nice way to end 2004!!!

I'll be hitting the gym a lot more now that that is done and the dojang is closed until Jan. Time to work on that proprioception and core stability training.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/26/04 09:47 PM

Well whats the bottom line? Is the book worth buying? It sounds like we are all in the same flexibility boat. Do you think you would have made the same progress without his book by doing a half hour a day of "traditional" stretches?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/27/04 03:59 AM

Funny this has come up here. Here is a message I copied from stadion.com:

What I meant was do static stretching increases lead to higher dynamic leg lifts and ultimately higher kicks?

At present, I alternate relaxed stretching days with isometric stretching days. I do isometric stretches only on days of strength or speed workouts (per Kurz): I follow the Kurz pattern of workouts: technique, speed, strength, aerobic (in my case anaerobic interval training) active rest, rest.

And yes, I followed Kurz's strength buildup exercises, prior to iso stretch training.

I am not saying Kurz' methods don't work for some, I'm saying, they haven't shown me much. For now, I follow Kurz because his methods are rational and, with moderation, will not lead to injuries and may prevent some. But I feel there are major things missing from Kurz's program for me as far as developing high kicks and I would guess I am not alone.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/27/04 08:32 AM

Funny this has come up here. Here is a message I copied from stadion.com:

What I meant was do static stretching increases lead to higher dynamic leg lifts and ultimately higher kicks?

At present, I alternate relaxed stretching days with isometric stretching days. I do isometric stretches only on days of strength or speed workouts (per Kurz): I follow the Kurz pattern of workouts: technique, speed, strength, aerobic (in my case anaerobic interval training) active rest, rest.

And yes, I followed Kurz's strength buildup exercises, prior to iso stretch training.

I am not saying Kurz' methods don't work for some, I'm saying, they haven't shown me much. For now, I follow Kurz because his methods are rational and, with moderation, will not lead to injuries and may prevent some. But I feel there are major things missing from Kurz's program for me as far as developing high kicks and I would guess I am not alone.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the "subtle" answer. I think I`ll keep the 50 bucks in my pocket and keep doing my regular streching routines.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/27/04 10:48 PM

Bottom line? Yeah, it sure as hell is worth buying. It's made me look at stretching in a whole different way.

Would I have made the same gains by only doing traditional stretching? I highly doubt it. This is only my opinion, and I sound like a broken record, but dynamic stretching is by far THEE best form of stretching for martial arts requiring high kicks.

One problem with the "Kurz" method is isometric stretching. Either:

A) People aren't fit enough to do them, or

B) People are too lazy to do them.

This is a problem because the majority of advanced gains will happen with isometric stretches. I myself have made very decent gains, but I haven't done any isometrics. Needless to say my static flexibility blows.

If you don't want to spend the 50 bucks, I can understand that. Nothing Kurz says is revolutionary, by any means. He packages the science of flexibility in an easily readable book, that's all. The info is out there already.

Side note: Over the holidays, I hit the gym a few times while visiting the in-laws. One set....ONE set of dynamic stretching, and I was at max height. I'm certian it doesn't take much to MAINTAIN dynamic flexibility.

What I should test is the ability to "kick cold" after doing dynmaic stretching in the morning; then try a high kick later that afternoon---we'll see. I'd hate to pull a ham.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/28/04 07:17 PM

well I`m back to square one. You say you think Kurz book is worth it. The 50 means nothing to me. I just hate to buy a book with basic pix of some guy doing stretches that everyone already knows. It`s like buying a weightlifting book where a guy tells you how to bench or do curls. The whole world already knows this. If you honestly tell me that his book has helped you stretch further than you could have on your own, I`ll buy it and try it. I will also tell you my progress. This is the best post on the whole site, keep being honest!
Danny (in the shadows)

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/29/04 02:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by in the shadows:
well I`m back to square one. You say you think Kurz book is worth it. The 50 means nothing to me. I just hate to buy a book with basic pix of some guy doing stretches that everyone already knows. It`s like buying a weightlifting book where a guy tells you how to bench or do curls. The whole world already knows this. If you honestly tell me that his book has helped you stretch further than you could have on your own, I`ll buy it and try it. I will also tell you my progress. This is the best post on the whole site, keep being honest!
Danny (in the shadows)
[/QUOTE]

If you know what Dynamic, Isometric and static active and static passive stretching is and you can acheive a full split in any direction with no warm up and kick cold at any time of the day with no warm up, then you will benefit from 'READING' this book.

If you look at the pictures - and don't read the words it will be useless as I have personally read many books on bodybuilding, exercise, manytimes I will see pictures that look exactly the same as the previous books, but when you read what they have got to say about it, it can improve your form greatly.

The pictures alone paint a picture of static stretching which most MA out there will all know about, if you want to see some impressive pictures of contortion, buy a yoga book - or a book on contortion.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/29/04 02:37 AM

Dan,
Since fifty bucks is no object for you, who cares? Go for it. I, for one, will be interested in your progress. What are your goals? Splits, high kicks?

Mine are high kicks. I want to be able to do head-high front, side, roundhouse, back kicks on a 6' person. Right now, I'm maybe a little above waist-high. I'm not noticing much in the way of gains, so have cut back training to every other day.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/29/04 06:20 AM

Just thought, you can get tons of info from www.stadion.com/column.html, these are copies of the column that appears in the TKD Times.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/31/04 10:30 AM

hy mike
sorry by jacking your post but i really need some help. Since i very interested in stretching methodds i have to say that dynamic stretches are a great thing in only a month i ve improved my joint movility a lot however i have some problems with the side raising
i dont know exactly what should be the position of the suporting leg i have tried several ways since the articles i found in stadion.COM are not very specific in this issue. I begging for your help

the first way: the toes of my supporting leg point to front during all the movement so my supporting leg is static

the second: initially the toes of my supporting leg point to the front and during the movement my heel moves to side with the raising leg and when the leg goes down my heel return to the initial position so my supporting moves with the raising leg

the third: as in the first way my supporting leg is static but my foot (with toes pointing to the other side) are almost in a line with raising leg.

what of these three methods is correct?
maybe some could be more explicit

i would appreciate you answer i hope dont be a pain in the ass
happy new year

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/31/04 10:50 AM

Hey Aoshi!

No problem on the post-jacking...this question comes up a lot.

Personally, I find that my supporting foot naturally gravitates to pointing away from my raising leg---much like a sidekick, and that's the way it should be!

I've seen various replies on other boards to this question. Some people say keep the supporting foot straight, while others say let it turn. Kurz does seem to be a bit vague on this.

The way I look at it, your hips are better aligned for a higher kick if your foot turns away.

Try both; as long as you are doing the dynamic leg swings twice a day, and achieving max height each and every session, you will make progress.

Oh, and for the record: I let my foot turn out. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Happy New Year!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/31/04 11:35 AM

Ok, I've decided to pull my finger out.

I plan to sort out my training again and go for a suspended split.

I have been out of training for a few months (I have some poor excuses, but thats all they are). Anyway I think it will take me a few months to get my deadlift and squat sorted and my abs and back up to pace.

So I'm not going to set silly targets but in six months I plan to be well on the way if not there.

So along with Mike I will also post my progress with Kurz (If you don't mind of course Mike [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 12/31/04 01:28 PM

Happy to have you post here, UKFF!

Hopefully, we BOTH can make some good progress in 2005. I haven't started deadlifting yet, but my squat weight is coming back nicely. It'll be a long time time untill I can throw 315 on the bar (if ever again!) but the weight gradually goes up every week.

No TKD since about the 16th of Dec, and next class is Jan 3rd. Can't wait to get back!

Review: Bought myself "Power High Kicks With No Warmup" Dvd by Mac Mierzejewski. I haven't watched the whole Dvd, but what I've seen isn't bad at all. Mac throws some very fluid and high kicks with ease, and there's lots of slow motion shots.

Nothing so far is groud-breaking; Mac is a great martial artist, that makes it look easy. How that translates into *me*, joe average, throwing beautiful high kicks remains to me be seen. Nice clips of him in some full-contact, no equipment sparring, though.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/02/05 08:28 PM

Hello all,
New to the forum, but a life long martial artist and very interesting in discussing Kurz stretching methods.

I grew up in TKD, so as a teen, the splits were easy, even though I was taught and practiced the stretches incorrectly. Now, at 35, I have bone spurs in my hip and arthritis. Thus, I don't do the splits anymore.

However, I am unlearning my bad habits and teaching myself new ways to stretch. I have Kurz book and video and have enjoyed them, but I am having trouble figuring out just how to create a daily program. I am getting more flexible again, but the inflamation and pain after each workout is pretty intense. I would love to exchange workout programs with some of you and see if I can learn from you.

Also, what is Kurz's website?

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/03/05 05:28 PM

thanks mike
i was curious about how much tall are you and if you can kick above your head with no warm up
As you practice tkd i asume can perform double or triple round house kicks or other combination ie mawashi geri+ura mawashigeri or mae geri + mawashi geri + ura mawashi geri ( i mean kicking twice the head or head-chest or head-ches-legs without putting your foot in the floor pretty much like hwoarang in TEKKEN) if it is so can you tell me how should i train to get it. its no my intention to be like hwoarang but i ll take my exam for first dan in karate by march and i very weak in this issue may be you can give some tips about it
and please ,UKFF ,dont be shy i want your advice too since you two have demostrated that you know a LOT!!!! it would be usefull a second opinion [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
thanks a lot i hope not to bother

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/04/05 11:38 AM

Hey Mike,

On one of your earliest posts in this thread you had mentioned you had an extra copy of Thomas Kurz's Science of Stretching. I was wondering if you still have this extra copy that I could purchase from you?

I went into West Edmonton Mall on the weekend and visited some book stores. They had it in their data bases for $28.99 + GST but nobody had stock at any of their stores in Edmonton. I couldn't care a less about the price per say as long as I can get my hands on a copy. You had mentioned you ordered one through Amazon but if you still have that extra copy this would probably do both of us a favor. If not let me know and I will order it. Thanks

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/05/05 04:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck:
Hey Mike,

On one of your earliest posts in this thread you had mentioned you had an extra copy of Thomas Kurz's Science of Stretching. I was wondering if you still have this extra copy that I could purchase from you?

I went into West Edmonton Mall on the weekend and visited some book stores. They had it in their data bases for $28.99 + GST but nobody had stock at any of their stores in Edmonton. I couldn't care a less about the price per say as long as I can get my hands on a copy. You had mentioned you ordered one through Amazon but if you still have that extra copy this would probably do both of us a favor. If not let me know and I will order it. Thanks
[/QUOTE]

buy it direct from www.stadion.com I ordered the new edition of stretching scientifically and it came within a few days (and I'm in the UK!)

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/05/05 11:38 AM

Tao of Chris: Good to hear from you, I think UKFF just posted the link.

Aoshi: I'm 6'1, and yes, I can kick head height. Cold? Never tried. I might leave that until I can do a full split [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] As for the double and triple roundhouse---bag work. Lots of it.

Dereck: Yup, still have that copy around here somewhere. 25 bucks and it's yours, if you want. Just let me know.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/06/05 08:12 AM

thanks mike
i was curious about how much tall are you and if you can kick above your head with no warm up
As you practice tkd i asume can perform double or triple round house kicks or other combination ie mawashi geri+ura mawashigeri or mae geri + mawashi geri + ura mawashi geri ( i mean kicking twice the head or head-chest or head-ches-legs without putting your foot in the floor pretty much like hwoarang in TEKKEN) if it is so can you tell me how should i train to get it. its no my intention to be like hwoarang but i ll take my exam for first dan in karate by march and i very weak in this issue may be you can give some tips about it
and please ,UKFF ,dont be shy i want your advice too since you two have demostrated that you know a LOT!!!! it would be usefull a second opinion [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Well I'm 6'1" & Head height cold? - easy!

I take it your chambering the kicks (i.e. holding your leg and snapping the round house kicks back and forth.

It might be worth looking at the static ative stretching in the kurz book, although this won't improve your kicking technique it will at least condition the muscles so you can hold it up easily.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/09/05 06:45 PM

HY GUYS
let me introduce myself first im from Peru and i am 27 and practice karate shotokan since i was 22 i ve been readings your posts and i have to say that i learn a lot thank you guys for such a usefull site.
i ve been practicing with dynamic streching (leg raises front back and side)for three months and i could say that my roundhouse kick has improved so far i can kick to level of my head cold (im 1.70 m ) but i`ve notice that im a bit stuck cause the height of my kicks doesnt improve anymore
my goal is to kick as hight as a 1.9 m high person is that impossible for me due to my age? maybe i need more strength in my adductors
What else should i do to get that goal?
i would really apreciate some help
thank you

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/11/05 07:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kid muscle:
HY GUYS
let me introduce myself first im from Peru and i am 27 and practice karate shotokan since i was 22 i ve been readings your posts and i have to say that i learn a lot thank you guys for such a usefull site.
i ve been practicing with dynamic streching (leg raises front back and side)for three months and i could say that my roundhouse kick has improved so far i can kick to level of my head cold (im 1.70 m ) but i`ve notice that im a bit stuck cause the height of my kicks doesnt improve anymore
my goal is to kick as hight as a 1.9 m high person is that impossible for me due to my age? maybe i need more strength in my adductors
What else should i do to get that goal?
i would really apreciate some help
thank you

[/QUOTE]

Lol - because of you age! You're a spring chicken.

You are probably struggling with more height du to your hip position. If you are flexibile enough tilting your hips forward (stick your bum out!) and then do the side leg swings, it should help.

Other wise it could be tightness in your hips and/or a weak lower back could be the culprit.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/11/05 01:33 PM

thanks for your answer i will began to practice as you said but i want to know something do you really think that i can achieve my goal to kick above 6 feet ( im 5.5 feet)
i was forgeting something... about side raising leg Do i need to keep the supporting leg static or should i move it at the same time with the raising leg ?
and in the case i have to keep my supporting leg static the toes should point to the front or the side?
my sensei always made me practice a hundred of kicks (mawashi - ura mawashi etc )therefore, i always end exhausted and the next day my muscles were sore so whats your opinion should i keep trying this or it will be against my flexibility?
well thamks alot and i hope hear (well read je je) something from you soon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/11/05 01:42 PM

thanks mike
[/QUOTE]

guys you are the best thanks for replaying

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/11/05 01:55 PM

thanks mike
[/QUOTE]

thanks for replaying you guys are the best

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/24/05 01:52 PM

yo...i ordered tom kurtz book i wont have it till mid feb...i dont do martial arts but i do ballet and i really need to improve my flexibility to move up a grade.any1 who got this book did it help u with flexibility in the legs...also icant get my leg higher then 90 degrees does this book improve that aswell...and i so wanna do the slpits...has any1achieved this since getting the book.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/26/05 12:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laura:
yo...i ordered tom kurtz book i wont have it till mid feb...i dont do martial arts but i do ballet and i really need to improve my flexibility to move up a grade.any1 who got this book did it help u with flexibility in the legs...also icant get my leg higher then 90 degrees does this book improve that aswell...and i so wanna do the slpits...has any1achieved this since getting the book.[/QUOTE]

Because of this book I can kick head height cold and can do side splits with no warm up and with a short warm up I can do front splits with my toes up and down.

Have fun...

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/30/05 10:43 AM

Update:

Still making gains in height through dynamic leg swings; even with my new resistance training, I haven't seen any increased tightness, or decrease in flexibility

I'm doing legs swings as a warmup prior to both TKD and weight training. Even with DOMS the next day, I don't notice and decreased performance with kicking in class.

I tried some isometric stretching for my adductors the other day----WOW, was I sore. I'll have to take it easy with those.

Problem areas:

After a year and a half of TKD now, I'm realizing it's not just legs and hips that hinder kicking height; my left side turning kick (roundhouse) isn't as smooth because my left torso (think left lateral ribcage area) is much tighter than my right. Actually, I'm just tighter on my left in general, lol.
But it is coming slowly.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/30/05 01:02 PM

Hi I dont know if this is the Kurz way or not but b4 i knew anything about Kurz i did the static stretches a little then did the dynamic stratches afterwards to my limit and straight away (just kicking my highest sideways, up and behind) and then did my high kicks, by this technique i achieved no soreness ever and in my less than 3 months of training from scratch i can now kick to head height cold, with side or roundhouse kicks. Is this technique the Kurz way and maybe u should try this out. i did read to keep away from doing static stretches at all b4 kicking but ive never had any problems and that is the way all martial art gyms work and they dont seem to have many injuries either (though they may become flexible less readily). I have never attempted the splits though which i do now regret, but im not sure of their importance as i have been getting higher and higher by my method without the splits. any advice?? and btw dont u all find that if u begin stretching dynamically straight away, even if starting off slowly and rising to the limit u still get pain and soreness and possible pulling that makes the following kicks harder. thats one reason i prefer to static stretch first b4 moving onto the stretches that can disallow ur stretching if overdone.

Whatyathink?
Ayub

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/30/05 02:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayub:

Whatyathink?
Ayub
[/QUOTE]

No.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/31/05 11:05 AM

No.

[/QUOTE]

please explain.....

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 01/31/05 12:08 PM

If you have read anything from Kurz, then you will understand why passive static stretching prior to working out could be harmful; and on the other hand, why doing dynamic stretching prior is helpful.

On the other hand, I would say do what works for you. Yes, many many martial artists have been "doing it this way" for many years. But doing it properly just means less energy wasted.

Besides, this isn't the subject of this thread, anyways.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/01/05 12:46 PM

Mike - As per Email.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/01/05 03:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
Mike - As per Email.[/QUOTE]

Got it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 02/04/05 01:14 PM

it s been a long time since my last post
my flexibility has improve a little specially in for roundhouse kick but i ve notice that my speed has decreased. maybe the weight lifting have to do something whith this. the last month i ve been dedicated to imoprove my strenght with squats and deadlifts in order to make isometrics (actually a lift 240 pounds doing squats and 180 pounds in deadlift)
how can improve my velocity? what about pliometrics? thanks a lot

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/20/05 08:50 AM

Well done for keeping this going Mike. I shall start back on the track again once the mucles in my legs and groin finally heal up. It's been a long slog but inspiring to read of your progress. Well done mate!

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 05/31/05 01:36 PM

Hey Ken, good to see you here again.

Not much in the way of progress for me; I still do dynamic stretching before class, but that's all.

Since the summer weather has hit, I've been doing more rock climbing and mountain biking than TKD. I'm still in class about twice a week, so that's the extent of my stretching routine.

My left ham has flared up a bit, at the insertion point high at the ischium of the pelvis. It doesn't bother me once I'm warmed up, but does nag me in the morning when I get up from a sitting position.

I recently purchased a book called Core Performance by Mark Verstegen. It's an excellent resource for any athlete, and has a great section on AIS (Assisted Isometric Stretching) and self-myofascial release using a foam roller.

I've added both of these elements on my days off---the foam roller is fantastic for tight IT bands.

So, despite my slacking off, kicks are still at head hieght. Left leg kicks lag behind in ROM and hieght, but progress is still being made.

In the little time I have before class, I do my warmup routine and then hit the heavy bag with turning (roundhouse) kicks; I'm convinced if I had a bag at home, I could pick up my left kicks. Taking time to disect the mechainc of the kick has helped a great deal.

I'm made the often sought-after FULL SPLIT a goal to be reached by the time I obtain my black belt---and that's a few years away. For me, this is more realistic as far as a time frame.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/01/05 06:25 PM

Good to see you posting again Mike. Keep us updated as you are an insperation.

As for me I was doing the dynamic stretching in the morning when I got up and again at class. 91 days ago I injured my neck and I've since stopped this and weight lifting and going to any TKD classes that have sparring, grappling, punching, throwing and sweeping. Surgery might be in my near future as two vertibra are crushed and a nerve is pinched that is affecting my right hand and arm.

I hope to be on track soon ... I hope. After I stopped weight lifting the only classes I'm going to is kicking days and patterns. I'd still do the dynamic stretching in class and on one day I was phenominal. I did my stretches, kicked a wave master and actual roundhouse kicked over top of it. It was at above 5'9" so that would head height for a lot of people. Then we did kicking drills on heavy bags and I couldn't go wrong. Other classes other people and myself are amazed at how much higher I can kick once warmed up. Mind you I can't do this all of the time but when I'm relaxed and stretched good ... things are way better.

Again, thanks for your help and sending me the book. Once I'm back on track I will be re-evaluating my work out (weights/stretching) to benefit me more.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/01/05 08:33 PM

Quote:

Surgery might be in my near future as two vertibra are crushed and a nerve is pinched that is affecting my right hand and arm.

!!! Holy hell, Dereck, that sounds like a nasty, nasty injury. I wish you the best in healing up.

Glad to see the dynamic stretching has helped you out also. It seems to be catching on a bit at my school, mostly with the new junior belts. Static stretching prior to class still seems to be the mainstay of most people, though.

Speaking of wavemasters....aren't they great for kicking height? We have one also that I pull out occasionally before class to practice on.

Just don't try an axe kick....I made an ass out of myself and landed an axe kick square on the top....and since the wavemaster doesn't move, well, I did...straight to the floor!

I'm hoping to add one to my home gym in the future.
Posted by: DizzyDogg6803

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/14/05 03:26 AM

When you refer to leg swings, are you talking about leg raises in the front, back, and side? Like when your doing it in the front, you just lift the leg as high as you can and bring it back down.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/15/05 06:04 PM

Yes.

Check the homepage at fightingarts.com for articles regarding dynamic stretching.
Posted by: jabber

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/22/05 10:28 AM

Hi Mike,

I`m really enjoying your thread- keep us posted.

I`m very curious to hear any explaination your instructor may give you in response to why he does dynamic stretching but does not encourage his students too.
Luckily, my instructor shares all of his knowledge with us, posssibly there is a valid reason why yours has`nt...please ask and tell.

Jabber

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/22/05 05:41 PM

Quote:

Hi Mike,

I`m really enjoying your thread- keep us posted.

I`m very curious to hear any explaination your instructor may give you in response to why he does dynamic stretching but does not encourage his students too.
Luckily, my instructor shares all of his knowledge with us, posssibly there is a valid reason why yours has`nt...please ask and tell.

Jabber

Thanks Jabber! Glad people are responding to my general ramblings on my progress (or lack thereof)

I have class tonight, so I'll ask about the dynamic stretching. I had actually forgotten about that--thanks for the reminder.

I'm pretty sure "tradition" will be the basis of the answer. We have a set structure to class, and I've only ever seen a few instructors deviate from this---one of them being our head instructor. I'll see what he has to say.

Not much in the way of change for me. Summer hours have hit our dojang, so training time won't be as flexible.

I have noticed a slight increase in back discomfort---perhaps a weakening? I dropped my weight routine a few months back, so I suspect this may be the cause. I know a solid resistance training program would only help my martial arts training, but I find it hard to incorporate it into my already erratic schedule.

Interesting side note:

My IT bands and hamstrings are now as loose as they have ever been. Prior to training in TKD, I had VERY tight IT bands, and obviously poor hamstring flexibility. Now, my massage therapist always comments on how loose my IT bands and hams are. I have zero discomfort from either manual massage or use of a foam roller for self massage.

I have focused a lot of extra effort into my hamstrings, but zero into my IT bands---I'd guess this is just a positive side effect of high kicking.
Posted by: pushuper

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/23/05 03:27 PM

Hi Guys, I hear every one Talk about Kurtz. I tried his method few years ago. It did something, but not all the way. I am greatfull for that. I just want to say that my cousin passed on a book to me in January. The method is called elasticsteel. It's a small and inexpensive book. How ever the stuff this guy Paul teaches in there is hot. I had my front split for a while and got my side split a week ago. If any one wants to try his ElastiSteel method. go to ElastiSteel.com it did it for me. Peace.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/23/05 11:31 PM

Quote:

Hi Guys, I hear every one Talk about Kurtz. I tried his method few years ago. It did something, but not all the way. I am greatfull for that. I just want to say that my cousin passed on a book to me in January. The method is called elasticsteel. It's a small and inexpensive book. How ever the stuff this guy Paul teaches in there is hot. I had my front split for a while and got my side split a week ago. If any one wants to try his ElastiSteel method. go to ElastiSteel.com it did it for me. Peace.

I smell spam.

This is my thread, about my progress, and not about some new lame method. Kurz's methods are based on science, that's why everyone talks about it.

If it didn't work for you, then you didn't do it right
Posted by: wynnema

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/27/05 05:41 AM

Can someone ban this guy he is spamming all over the forum with these "stories"
Posted by: jabber

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/27/05 07:15 PM

I`ve just ordered the book - should be here on Thurs!!!
Posted by: wynnema

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 06/28/05 10:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I smell spam.

This is my thread, about my progress, and not about some new lame method. Kurz's methods are based on science, that's why everyone talks about it.

If it didn't work for you, then you didn't do it right

Mike thought you would be interested in this. Tom Kurz replied to an email I sent him regarding Power High Kicks. I dont know if you have ever seen this video but the guy on it Mac has great kicking flexiblity. According to Kurz, howevewr, he can only do a front split when really warmed up and he cant get close on a side split. Just goes to show dynamic flexilbity is king for kicking.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 07/04/05 11:51 PM

Well, I cornered my head instructor in his office after class tonight and questioned him as to why we don't do dynamic stretching in class (yet I saw him doing it prior to a black belt class)

He stated right off the bat, to my surprise:

"There's a lot of things we do in our warmup that we really shouldn't"

!!!! He stated that Grandmaster Lee had developed the warmup when he trained the Korean military in the 60's and 70's, and at that time, it was "current" as far as fitness knowledge. And, for young, healthy fit soldiers doing it everyday, it worked.

"...but for the average adult coming to class twice, three times a week, it's not that good"

But as to why we do the same one today?

Mr Lee hasn't changed it (the warmup) since then, and I doubt anything will change while he's around"

He also seemed surprised about the dynamic stretching-----he has been doing it himself, yet didn't know the exact science behind dynamic versus static. Interesting. I left it at that.

So there you have it. Being a martial artist and firefighter, I certainly can respect tradition. But, tradition isn't always effective and doesn't always make sense.
Posted by: malanr116

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/21/05 10:31 AM

Congrats, and continue the though work.

I'm in TKD also, and we only do dynamic stretches before class. You really should ask your head instructor about the stretches. If your instructor is defensive about this topic, then maybe you need a new instructor. (My first instructor was this way, afraid to inform about "secret" tricks that can make you a better martial artist. Fellow students and I now know that he was afraid of teaching someone to be better than himself. But that is a whole 'nother story.)

KUTGW

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/22/05 10:08 PM

Quote:

You really should ask your head instructor about the stretches.

I think you may have failed to read the post previous to yours....

....anyways, summer hours are gearing down, and I've enjoyed the summer a bit too much Slacking off from class, and comsuming too many <ahem> cold summer beverages.

I purchased a Century Wave Master, and set it up at one of the firehalls near my house; this will give me access to a bag 24/7 at my convenience. I'd like to bring my left kicks up to speed.

Although this thread is on flexibility, it's really no longer an issue....even over the summer, while MAYBE doing dynamic stretching once a week, I had no "regression" of flexibility. After one set of dynamic leg swings, head high kicks are not a prob at all.

Mr Kurz sure as hell knows what he's talking about.

Static flexibility? Pffft. Who needs it?

Actually, I will make more of an effort in that department. By the time I reach black belt (currently blue) I'd like to be able to do a full split....for no reason other than my own personal goal.

There's more than a few black belts than can't do the splits, yet could probably take my head clean off with a roundhouse kick.

Like always, I will post my progress, flexibility and otherwise.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/30/05 05:54 PM

Good to see more from you Mike. Due to injuries I haven't been doing much dynamic stretching except for the beginning of class but I too have not seen much regression. Kurtz's book was a good tool ... which I thank you again for sending to me.

Take care and enjoy your summer and look forward to hearing more of your progress.
Posted by: mantis_boxing

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/30/05 11:47 PM

how are hindu pushups, hindu squats done? thanks
Posted by: JasonM

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/31/05 10:23 AM

I just bought the book. I did find it useful, but I think some of the reading was above my head. Is it necessary to read the book cover to cover? Any thoughts on utitlizing the book? I mean, do I really need to know all the muscles and joints of the body? Thanks...

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/31/05 12:44 PM

No, it's not essential to read and understand 100% of the book; Mr Kurz goes quite in-depth in regards to neuro-muscle relationship.

It does give an excellent understand of why and how dynamic and static stretching works; for some, this is a need-to-know, for others, it's not essential.

On the other hand, I personally believe a thourough understanding of anatomy and physiology is almost essential to any athlete.

As they say, "Knowledge is Power"

Think of it this way...when you go to the doctor, and he prescibes you medicine, do you ask "why"? Some people don't, and just take the medicine without knowing.

Never stop asking why

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 08/31/05 12:47 PM

Good to hear from you, too, Dereck. I drop by the forums daily, I just don't post a whole lot.

Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad to see you haven't had any regression; it constantly amazes me that I haven't become more inflexible. I don't want to push it past once-a-week workouts, though
Posted by: ikklehen

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 09/03/05 06:13 PM

Hya love! I admire your determination to get super flexible with Kurtz help. I think it is possible you need to re-hydrate your body. Creatine is pants I've heard from some members in that it just sends more H20 to the muscles to bulk them up - from my experience, I have had one or two pulled hamstrings due to bad falls in - figure skating!!!! It can take upto 6 weeks to heal with rest! (Just on that hamstring) This won't undermine your stretching and progress, just work on your other muscles and joints and stretch that hamstring but no more as soon as you feel twinge. It may be shockingly stiff but it will heal with TLC and time. Keep the hip joint moving and carry on training be very careful kicking if you have to do that. Fustrating isn't it. You will get what you want. Sometimes I have ultra bendy days and others not. I wonder if hormones and substances in our blood has anything to do with it. I don't know but I have a feeling they must have a part to play - as well as our natural bio-rythms. I will keep looking at your updates, it's really exciting and a good idea. Good luck! xxx
Posted by: ToddR

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 10/12/05 01:49 PM

This is a great thread Mike, thanks very much for logging your experiences with the Kurz book. And, it's also cool to see the ups and downs that you experience as you try to maintain your training schedule (not that I'm glad you have the 'downs' just that we ALL have them so it reminds me that I shouldn't get too down when I can't train as much as I like).

I've had the Kurz book for awhile, used it for a couple months, didn't see enough gains so stopped. Your thread has motivated me to do at least the dynamic stretches once or twice a day and to do passive stretching AFTER my workouts until I see improvements in my leg flexibility.

Thanks again for your encouragement!
Todd

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 10/13/05 12:40 PM

Glad you find my ramblng useful, Todd

As I mentioned before, I found dynamic stretching extremely useful; the science behind it is sound and factual.

If you actually think about it, a regular martial arts class of TKD, Muay Thai, or kickboxing incorporates dynamic streching----every time you throw a kick. The traditional "passive static" stretching at the begining of most classes has probably not helped many people, even though they thought it had.

Ok, my progress:

...or lack thereof. It seems my summer break has "broken" my training momentum. I had posted before that even though I was only hitting class once a week, my flexibility had not changed. Well, after MANY weeks of 1 class/week, I have noticed greater inflexibility at the start of class. My dynamic stretching routine has not changed:

At the satrt of class, front/back/side legs swings, 2 sets.

My leg strength and cardio has also decreased a bit.

The biggest problem seems to be my motivation; my intentions are great, but the excuses to jam on class seems to flow like water. I swear, I'm almost ready to see a clinical hypnotist to get myself focused again.

Just having my 32nd birthday, I took an inventory, if you will, of my physical fitness level. I'm realizing that I can't take long breaks like I used to, and gains take WAY, way longer to attain, and seem to disappear fast if not maintained. Thankfully, I have no nagging injuries holding me back.

I plan on testing in December, so I NEED to get my act together.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 10/13/05 12:53 PM

Amen!! It is harder to maintain over 30. I am turning 33 in Decemeber and oh so wish I was 25 again..:) I have incorporate dynamic stretchin and agree it is great. I do dynamic in the am as warm up to my weight routine and then in the evening before mA class.:)
Posted by: ToddR

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 10/14/05 08:38 AM

Just wait until you turn 40!

Hang in there Mike, and best of luck with your test in December!

Todd

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 10/21/05 01:53 AM

I'm 37 years old in a 80 year old broken down body but I'm still going.

Keep up the good work Mike and good luck on your test.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/03/05 10:58 PM

Well I've somehow actually been able to kick myself back into high gear. Maybe the cold weather and short days have driven me back to the dojang.

While I was freaking out a bit about my decrease in flexibiliy, it seems that in just a few weeks it's gone up to where it was, and further!

I measured my side kick height the other night by using the cinderblock lines on the back wall of the school----six and a half feet! So I can actually kick well over my head now.

Granted, that's a right leg kick left is a wee bit lagging, if you catch my drift.

As much as I slam it, I'm concentrating on my passive static stretching after class these days. More to prevent soreness and tightness. Every little bit helps.

Also---and finally---I'm back lifting weights. This will be a tough process for me, since I'm such a hardgainer to begin with. A few years ago I was a solid 185lbs and lean, and I'm 170lbs now. I'd like to get those 15lbs back, but it'll be a long road, I think.

The upper body stuff is cake and pie; it's the lower body that may be tough. I don't want DOMS to hamper my TKD progress, nor do I want to overtrain and become injuried.

I still have great plans (don't I always? lol) for a program of plyometrics and proprioception work, but for now, it's just squats and romainian deadlifts on the legs.

My first day of legs was today, and I'll be interested to see how sore I am for tomorrows TKD class.

I'm also going to Mexico with a large group of friends in March, so maybe that's where all this motivation has come from.....hehe.

Re: *My Progress With Kurz* - 11/23/05 04:03 PM

Enjoy Mexico Mike and keep up your training. Myself since injuries never seem to get better I am starting to see some loses but that has to be expected. I hope when I can come back fully at it like you I will see a fast recovery for the height.

Mainly now I have been focusing more on BJJ within our class so flexibility is not "as" important which is good for now but I am itching to get back into kicking again. Because of these stupid injuries I had to skip out on Monday night's class when we had a Muay Thai Instructor come in to teach class. We've delved into clinches, knee and elbow strikes and kicking with our shins more then once but to learn from an actual Instructor ... man I missed out.

Good luck to you and I'll check in every so often to see your progress.