Working towards better flexibility

Posted by: shobukan_karate2k3

Working towards better flexibility - 10/13/03 03:13 AM

When i was a junior i never used to stretch and now im paying the price. I cant kick head height because theirs too much strain. Ive got one of those splits machines and ive been using that for awhile and have seen a little bit of improvement but not much. Does anyone know anything i can do to help with my flexibility? at this point im willing to do almost anything :P Also with the stretching my legs are really sore so it takes a bit longer to get into my splits stretchs does anyone know why?
Thanks
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Working towards better flexibility - 10/13/03 06:59 AM

Read through all the posts on this board,

hang on - throw away your stretching machine, then read through all the posts on this board.
Posted by: mark

Re: Working towards better flexibility - 10/14/03 01:32 AM

UKfightfreak, do you really think that those machines are that bad?

I do agree that PNF and then passive stretching routines are best, but surely the Do actually work, well I had one… [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Mark

PS: In answer to the question:- do a web search for PNF (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation) stretching techniques

Re: Working towards better flexibility - 10/14/03 06:23 AM

Yup I do.

Flexibility is about strenth, if your muscles, tendons, ligaments etc. are strong in stretched positions they will allow great flexibility.

A stetching machine is taking what is there, and if a person is in poor condition or just gets overzealous in their persuit of flexibility then a lot of damage can be done.

Please refer to www.stadion.com/column.html for a professional's view on the matter.

PNF is good but it was really designed for illness - not sport.

Sport specific stretching is also discussed at www.stadion.com
Posted by: shobukan_karate2k3

Re: Working towards better flexibility - 10/17/03 04:14 AM

ok, thanks. so ur saying now not only do i stretch but i work on leg strength aswell?

Re: Working towards better flexibility - 10/17/03 10:19 AM

If your legs, back and stomach are not strong you will struggle to acheive a split, or improve flexibility.

Your lower back has to be very strong and your stomach has to be to keep things even.

You need strong legs - think full range of motion. E.g. if you go running make large strides kicking your heals towards your butt.

go to www.stadion.com/column.html read all the articles and that will equip you with the knowledge you need.