stretching arm muscles

Posted by: Raven

stretching arm muscles - 08/15/03 04:43 PM

Some one recommended me to stretch my arm muscles...how do I do this?
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: stretching arm muscles - 08/21/03 08:11 AM

What muscles are you talking about specifically?

There are tricep, bicep, forearm as well as all the muscles that are attaching such as the chest, shoulders and upper back.

Give me a shout for what you need although I won't be able to reply before Monday.
Posted by: Raven

Re: stretching arm muscles - 08/21/03 08:16 PM

ah thank you ukfightfreak..u have my respect for now..anyways the muscles that you use in punching...i don't know which one specifically but if you could tell me a few that'd be great.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: stretching arm muscles - 08/27/03 01:42 PM

Well, think about it. Standing straight up, you can stretch your arms straight up and back, to the side and back (as if clapping your hands behind you),also clapping about your hand can provide a shoulder/lat stretch. You can cross your arms in front of you can grab the alternate shoulder (like a self hug) and one of primary muscles involed in punching is the pectoral, or chest muscle. I like to take a staff and hold it out so that it is vertical (from the floor to my hand) and my arm is its natural length extended horizontal from my shoulder joint. Then without moving the staff or my arm, I rotate my waist, which creates a mild stretch in my pecs. There are many varying angles of which to stretch a muscle, so investigate, naturally, the different angles which stretch the following basic muscles that aid in punching power:
Wrists/Forearms
Biceps/Triceps
Deltoids/Latissimus Dorsi
Pectorals....etc...
If you have any further questions, feel free to email me and I will help as soon as I can.
Posted by: applegm

Re: stretching arm muscles - 09/23/03 07:34 AM

Hindu Pushups are really good for upper-body flexibility
Posted by: applegm

Re: stretching arm muscles - 09/23/03 07:34 AM

Hindu Pushups are really good for upper-body flexibility
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: stretching arm muscles - 09/23/03 04:19 PM

For actual stretching to prepare for punching you will be best sticking to arm swings in as many directions as you feel fit. I generally feel comfortable with alternating forard and back, arm circles and swings to the side.

Then it is a matter of slowly warming up your arms doing shadow boxing, gradually increasing the extension reach and speed until you are punching around the speed you would in sparring.
Posted by: Kevin

Re: stretching arm muscles - 11/23/03 06:56 PM

What are hindu pushups?