Breathing strangeness

Posted by: Caracalla

Breathing strangeness - 10/21/06 08:49 AM

Hi, i'm new to this forum as you can see. So if this pot is not in the right place, or if a thread like this already exists, please move it or merge it.

When i breath deeply for an extenden period of time strange things start happenoing. I've never heard enyone else mentuion this, so i thought i'd create a thread here.
If i keep up deep breathing (through my abdomen) for a few minutes i get a tingling sensation, starting in the limbs and face and spreading to the rest of the body. The feeling is abit like when your foot is sleeping. If i keep breathing my muscles will start to tense. Moving my gfingers becomes harder and muscles around my eye start to contract (shacking my vision) if i keep it up even longer, say fifteen minutes, the chagnging my facial expression becomes almost impossible and my face even starts to hurt. Breathing becomes hard.

Does anyone else get this? How can i prevent my muscles from tensing up so?

any answers are appreciated.
Posted by: JAD

Re: Breathing strangeness - 10/22/06 03:33 AM

Does this happen at at rest or during exertion?

Re: Breathing strangeness - 10/22/06 05:29 AM

ah yes, i should have said. It only happens when i'm at rest.

EDIT: It doesn't matter how i am sitting though.

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/02/07 04:12 PM

So... No clues, no one with similar experience?
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/03/07 07:26 AM

Maybe you need to stretch a bit before you do this? You also might want to check your posture. If you aren't sitting properly then you may feel weird when you sit for prolonged periods of time.
Posted by: JohnsonnBJJ

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/07/07 11:14 AM

i would have to agree on the streching part befor doing it but if you want to impove on it then keep doing it any promblem the human body has can be fixed with work.
Sencerly
The new Guy

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/10/07 05:54 PM

Quote:

Maybe you need to stretch a bit before you do this? You also might want to check your posture. If you aren't sitting properly then you may feel weird when you sit for prolonged periods of time.

Stretching and posture might explain this tensing in my legs and torso. But in my face? in my fingers? I do not think posture is the explanation since i do not sit any differently then i would otherwise and it can happen in any posture.
Posted by: ambiguity

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/10/07 07:58 PM

methinks youre hyperventalating. some one like Cord or Prizewriter would know better than me though
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/13/07 10:31 AM

Quote:

But in my face? in my fingers? I do not think posture is the explanation since i do not sit any differently then i would otherwise and it can happen in any posture.

Hyperventilation could be a possibility.
Of course posture has something to do with it. How you sit, how you stand, and how you move can determine how the blood flows through the body. If you add this to breathing a certain way then you can definitely experience some of the things that you have described.
One of my classmates when first introduced to our standing meditation exercises kept getting tingles in their face and getting light headed. It was because they were standing with their knees locked out and their spine was not in the proper alignment.
If you are going to practice breathing meditation then you need to make sure that your posture is in the proper alignment otherwise you can have the weird side effects you described. Best bet to fix this would be to find someone that teaches chi gong or some other type of meditative healing art.
Posted by: Midnightcrawler

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/16/07 08:08 AM

Maybe if you tried breathing normally the problem would disappear. I'm no medic but, I'm pretty sure that like the rest of us you'll find you breath through your lungs rather than your abdomen! Try asking your doctor about this problem you're experiencing. I'm pretty sure they will confirm that you breath through your lungs, unless you're a space alien. Then all bets are off!!

MC.

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/16/07 04:02 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you tried breathing normally the problem would disappear. I'm no medic but, I'm pretty sure that like the rest of us you'll find you breath through your lungs rather than your abdomen! Try asking your doctor about this problem you're experiencing. I'm pretty sure they will confirm that you breath through your lungs, unless you're a space alien. Then all bets are off!!

MC.

Well, i am from Beategeuse actually so....
No seriously, this is what i was talking about.

Thank you for the suggestion Fisherman and ambiguity. THe symptoms do seem to fit, intersting. I had alway thought hyperventilating was when you were breathing too quickly
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Breathing strangeness - 01/26/07 06:33 PM

Hello Caracalla:

I like the hyperventillation idea, sounds a good possibility to me as well.

Another possibility, perhaps you CARRY tension in your hands, your face, etc. and until you slowed down, started being aware of your body in the small pieces... merely did not know you were so ?

Perhaps,

Jeff