Abstinence While Training?

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Abstinence While Training? - 08/09/06 10:34 PM

Soooo there is a tournament coming up in two months, and some people have been telling me thats its good to remain abstinent two months before the tournament, and that it'll help. Is this true and why? Also... does it absolutely have to be two months... this is probably gonna more difficult than the match itself.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 10:31 AM

Garbage. I doubt if Mike Tyson was abstinent for any length of time in his career, and he seemed to do fine.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 10:32 AM

Nope you have to make it three months!!!!

That's an old wise tale, although it will make you meaner if your cutt off
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 10:34 AM

Dear Heritik:

Oh brother are you being sold a ~bill of goods~. Look if you are talking about helping YOURSELF... ok, spend the time training ! If you are talking about abstinence with/from someone ELSE... very different issue.

Imposing a period of celebacy <sp.?> can be good, learning to control our impulses is truly discipline. But there is no need to engage in this type of thing. Finding someone to help us relax can be a wonderful thing.

Old wives tale, good for serious discipline but unnecessary unless you are entering a monestary. Might consider abstaining a few hours BEFORE the tournament but question the need beyond that level...

Oh honey...you won't mind if we don't.... for the next two months will you....

Jeff(I'd have to defend myself for real...ducking front kicks)
Posted by: oldman

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 11:39 AM

I'm like a sex camel. As of yet it hasn't helped me bring home the gold.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 11:59 AM

Quote:

I'm like a sex camel. As of yet it hasn't helped me bring home the gold.

I was wondering what that bulge was......
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 12:02 PM

Posted by: harlan

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 12:07 PM

Humps, lumps, bumps?

Well...at least I understand now why ring fighters are so mean, mad and in a hurry to get the fight over.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 01:29 PM

Dont abstain- you want your mind on the fight come the tournament. Turn up a little 'tense', a ring-card girl passes close enough to smell her perfume and 'wham' you will be on her leg like a randy dog!

This will lead to disqualification, prosecution, and a cleaning bill for her tights.

Be a lover and a fighter my friend
Posted by: Kazama

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 07:39 PM

Pat Croce (fitness center business guru and previous owner of the 76'ers) says that a little "fun" before your match can help you.

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/10/06 10:15 PM

Woohoo!

Well now that I know this.... if you will excuse me...

Posted by: Dereck

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/11/06 11:48 AM

This caught my attention and I had to laugh. You don't have to worry about abstaining from copulating just for a fight ... just get married. Heck, I can have it anytime my wife wants.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/11/06 12:10 PM

Heretik, unfortunately, as usual, these idiots have got it competely wrong. It has widely been practiced in many cultures and has yielded many champions. There is a specific Chinese Chi Gong form called Fol-u Som Mor which actually teaches its students to harness "unused" sexual energy by way of an posture called "No Noki Fe-u". I recomend no nookie!
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/11/06 05:37 PM

Oh brother are you being sold a ~bill of goods~. Look if you are talking about helping YOURSELF... ok, spend the time training ! If you are talking about abstinence with/from someone ELSE... very different issue.

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/11/06 10:12 PM

Quote:

Heretik, unfortunately, as usual, these idiots have got it competely wrong. It has widely been practiced in many cultures and has yielded many champions. There is a specific Chinese Chi Gong form called Fol-u Som Mor which actually teaches its students to harness "unused" sexual energy by way of an posture called "No Noki Fe-u". I recomend no nookie!

Uhh... for how long? How about 2 days instead of two months?
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/14/06 11:37 PM

If you abstain, you might be arrested at the tournament for "sexual assault"... if you don't... for assault with a dead weapon...

Too funny...

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/15/06 11:09 AM

abstinance while training? ask these masters to bate about it:
http://screamingpickle.com/images/SuperKarateMaster2.jpg
http://mastersofkarate.com/images/masters_karate_sensei_richard_miori_large_web_1.jpg
http://www.mastercutlery.com/martialart/map02_lr.jpg
Posted by: trevek

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/15/06 01:11 PM

I once interviewed a Macedonia Pehlivan wrestler who told me his master abstained before a big bout. When he asked the master how he managed, he was told (in Macedonian, I imagine), "I go outside every morning and get some freezing cold water from the well and tip it between my legs, over my genitals."

I wonder which made him meaner, the abstinence or the water.
Posted by: Derik

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/15/06 04:59 PM

I saw on a sciene show that there was two teams playing soccer and the one who was losing at halftime went out and... you know with their wife/girlfriend and then they came back and dominated so it could help you to do it right before your match. One less thing youll have to worry about fighting
Posted by: Crash

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/25/06 06:10 PM

Man I have to check this part of the forum more often But seriously, being sexually active has no effect on your athletic ability. It's only mental, Whether you fight better tense or relaxed is what you'll have to figure out.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 08/28/06 03:52 PM

It does seem to have some effect:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south99.htm

Basically your testosterone levels spike at the 7th day, and declines afterwards.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 09/10/06 01:04 PM

Sounds like garbage to me. Funny garbage but garb age none the less. Who am I to say whether or not you should "do the deed'. Just go fight.
Posted by: Shae

Re: Abstinence While Training? - 06/24/07 04:12 PM

trainers and coaches for olympic teams forbid sexual release during all training to avoid waisting Q'i and Jing but there are susposidly Taoist Q'i Gong techniques to retain these substances after release