Flowing Movements<<

Posted by: Yeluhz Strongs

Flowing Movements<< - 04/14/06 02:59 PM

hey, i was just wondering how i can obtain or develop fluent and smooth movements such as in Kung Fu. It looks really nice and conditioned. I practice Karate, and I don't know... I just want to be smooth in my movements like the practices in Kung Fu.

Should I practice my katas but do them more slowly and "try" to make them all connect smoothly??

I just find that tha development of the range of the body is different between Kung Fu and Karate.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Flowing Movements<< - 04/14/06 03:56 PM

YS,

Fluid movement is inherent within all martial arts. Efficiency and grace are given to those who practice for a long time.

Ever look at a wood worker or a mechanic where that person reaches for a tool without looking, knowing where it is, or planing wood with efficiency and economy of motion?

If you see the rigid side of karate, it's because it may be presented to you that way and might be a stylistic variation. On the other hand, it might not be recognizing the motive behind a certain practice and thinking that this is all about harsh, linear movements. These might just be the initial, more easily learned motions that later are meant to be smoothed out.

In any case, the answer to your question is time. BTW, there will be certain Kung Fu styles that will seem hard and less fluid that some karate. Always depends...

Have a good one and keep practicing. You'll see.

-B

-B
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Flowing Movements<< - 04/21/06 08:24 PM

Some movements in karate though can't be done with the same fluidity and motion than lets say, taiji. Why? Because you might be doing movements that require tension, or muscular movement, or the alignment won't allow it. In some schools, the reason seems to be because "intensity" is often shown by actually physically showing it, wether in the eyes, the "kias" or the movements. People in my Xingyi Class who practiced karate earlier, often STOMP real loud, and tense their muscles at impact..to show "power." This , in my own opinion, is wrong. Some even "HUMPH" and ""HUGH" real loud in their breath, leading for physical tension in their body and mind, almost subconsciously.

Main thing to realize is that "intention" should be an internal thing, ,and not an external thing. Your external form becomes a direct manifestion of it..not the other way around. Being tense, yelling real loud, and wasting energy does not mean your intention is stern..Anyways just my 2 cents on the problems with alot of modern-day students, including me sometimes.

Nowdays though, and the past (since karate pretty much originated from old kung fu anyways), karate teachers/masters cross trained with CMA styles. And then they try adding circular non-linear movements. Or do their movements like other styles. Which is why you always see "new styles" with kakie practice, or heavy xingyi influence.