round house and heavy bag

Posted by: nowayaswaylee

round house and heavy bag - 01/08/06 03:30 PM

Hey has anyone ever had this problem.
You try to do a round house kick (hitting with the instep) and end up not being able to hit at full power because it hurts too much?
is this just a condisioning issue that will get better over time? or do you think there is some mechanical error?
im going to ask my instructor bout this tomorrow but i was just wonderin what you guys thought.
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: round house and heavy bag - 01/08/06 07:16 PM

youre doing something wrong if it hurts
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: round house and heavy bag - 01/08/06 08:40 PM

If you are talking about the sting, then thats normal. Any other pain i would check my technique. Oh, that sting will eventually stop.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: round house and heavy bag - 01/08/06 09:07 PM

This may be a "conditioning" problem, as it does take a bit to get used to the impact stress on your body.

It is also possible that it is a mechanical error. When using your instep to hit roundhouse kicks with, make sure to use the part of your instep closest to the shin. Impacting on the part of your instep nearest the toes can cause painful hyperextension of the ankle, and increases chances of breaking your toes.

Best bet by far is to talk to your instructor, and let him/her evaluate your particular mechanics.
Posted by: CrossTraining

Re: round house and heavy bag - 01/09/06 02:50 PM

Quote:

You try to do a round house kick (hitting with the instep)

Do you mean the top of your foot (toes pointed)a roundhouse uses the top and the instep is on the bottom of your foot.. A side kick uses the blade of the foot, which I guess, you could call your instep?
just wondering
CrossTraining
Posted by: MattJ

Re: round house and heavy bag - 01/09/06 04:17 PM

Quote:

Do you mean the top of your foot (toes pointed)a roundhouse uses the top and the instep is on the bottom of your foot.. A side kick uses the blade of the foot, which I guess, you could call your instep?
just wondering
CrossTraining

?????????????

The top of your foot is considered the "instep". The bottom of your foot is considered your "occipital lobe".

Just kidding.

Bottom of the foot is considered the "sole".
Posted by: schanne

Re: round house and heavy bag - 01/10/06 04:22 PM

Try kicking more with your instep vs. the front portion of your foot and toes. It sounds like you might be bending the sensitive area around the toes and that soft portion in the surrounding area. The part of your foot that should be taking the beating is right below your ankle area, under your shoe laces is the spot....got it