Snap kick

Posted by: -orangesiscool-

Snap kick - 11/14/05 05:01 PM

I know that the standard is snap with the ball of your foot, toes back; but what are th cons too using your heel. I've been told that that will hyper extend your hamstring, which i think isn't a problem on account of my elastisity. i feel like i get more power this way.

hmm?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Snap kick - 11/14/05 06:47 PM

In American kenpo, the difference between a snapping technique and a thrusting technique is the amount of duration and penetration it has.

Snapping techniques contact very quickly and retract immediately, deeply enough to injure, but not deep enough to physically move the opponent.

Thrusting techniques contact duration is a bit longer and deeper - purpose being to injure the opponent, AND move him bodily.

So, the question of "Snapping" with your heel is somewhat moot. If it works for you, use it.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Snap kick - 11/15/05 02:54 AM

In general, I think Matt has given a good overview of the two kicks. However, I would also state that if you know how to use the mechanics of a good snapping kick with the ball of the foot, either as a front kick or a round kick, you can establish very good power.

A good snapping kick can penetrate deeply, and just like a whip or a series of dominoes following one after another as they tip over, the sequential flow of power allows putting your body weight into the snap and can deliver a huge amount of impact in a short, quick, and hard to grab technique.

The snap, or more appropriately, whipping action takes a lot of time and practice to develop, but can be quite strong.

-B
Posted by: NEAS

Re: Snap kick - 11/22/05 08:14 PM

Both kicks are valid kicks in most trad martial arts.
Posted by: dmsdc

Re: Snap kick - 11/24/05 12:31 AM

And if you want to be uber-traditional, kick with your toes.

http://home.drenik.net/joemilos/bugeisha_uechi_2.htm
www.traditionaluechi-ryu.com/sokusen.htm

Not easy, takes long time, but amazing once you get it. I do think you can really mess up your feet trying to train for this kick. You've got to have an amazing amount of patience and do just a little bit every day. I do know one fellow who takes his shoes off at the gym and trains his sokusen on the leg press machine. Definitely one of those little esoteric hard-body training things.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Snap kick - 11/24/05 01:00 AM

OOWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Man, that's a nice technique, but DANNGGG!!!! I remember seeing a MA show in the Discovery channel where Seiko Toyama, an Uechi Ryu practitioner, breaks boards with sokusen. He also did it with his fingertips and thumb (don't know the names). Awesome breaks, I must say it seems to be a very impressive and hardcore style.

(I may also be wrong about who did the breaking, but I know he was on the show)
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Snap kick - 12/11/05 02:09 AM

The snapping kick is ulitately faster while the thrusting kick is slower. Slower translates to 1) opponent seeing & reacting to the move & 2) turning a potentially serious kick into a shove.

The natural reaction by someone confronting a kick is to move backward thus (because he notices the kick coming) causes the kicker over-extend himself - the kick is nulified.

Don't discount the power produced by a snap kick. I've used a lead leg snap front kick effectively to the hip to stop an opponent & to the stomach to stop & hurt (impale) the opponent.

owari
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Snap kick - 12/14/05 11:53 AM

Quote:

I know that the standard is snap with the ball of your foot, toes back; but what are th cons too using your heel. I've been told that that will hyper extend your hamstring, which i think isn't a problem on account of my elastisity. i feel like i get more power this way.

hmm?

I've never seen a heel snap kick. However, several Karate and Kung Fu styles front thrust kick with the heel. Not my cup of tea, but if it works for you, go for it.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Snap kick - 12/14/05 05:14 PM

The pros to using the heel stomp front kick is power that almost rivals the side kick.

The cons is that you can easily be taken off balance with a deflecting block or if you miss badly.

I missed the advantage of the snap kick once. It is a fast technique that will injury the opponent and leave him there for follow up, almost like a counter hook punch that setup the right hand. Where as the front thrust kick sometimes will knock him across the room or to the floor where you have to step to him to follow up. Good technique just may not be what you want to do, at the time.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Snap kick - 12/27/05 12:34 AM

The thrust/heel kick is also considerably slower due to the necessity of raising the knee first
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Snap kick - 01/04/06 09:46 PM

I agree with butterfly and mattj.