Side Kick

Posted by: WaTah

Side Kick - 10/30/05 05:49 PM

Hi, Im a 14 year old who just started Tae Kwon Do a week ago.

Im having problems doing side kick correctly. I go from free sparing stance, and take my back foot and step forward with it, putting it behind my front foot, heel facing twords target. then i just lift my knee up and thrust. This reall hurts my groin and inside leg tendons whenever I try and kick higher than my waist.

Am I doing it wrong, and if so, how do I correct it. I also have the same problem with spin Kick.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Side Kick - 10/30/05 05:59 PM

Whether or not you are using correct form is for your instructor to decide, we cannot see your technique.

As for the height of your kicks, do not kick higher than you are able to comfortably. After more stretching and training you will be able to kick higher. If you try to kick higher than you are able now you will only hurt yourself and set yourself back even more while you are healing.

When I first started at the age of 21, I could side-kick no higher than my knee. At my best I was able to side-kick to about solar plexus height. I am currently working on getting back to that level and better. Do you know how I am doing that? By stretching and kicking more.

Focus on correcting your technique at a level at which you are physically comfortable training at, the basics(correct form) are the most important thing for you to do right and spend the most time on.

Congrats on your new interest. Don't force anything, you have the rest of your life to get better. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Posted by: Joe7987

Re: Side Kick - 10/31/05 12:32 AM

I'm a white belt myself.. I began a little less than a month ago..... so I'll tell you what I've found out so far.

1. Do NOT try to kick hard at first.
2. If the inside of your leg (the bendy part) begins hurting, you're probably kicking too hard.
3. You can not kick very high at first... the more you practice and stretch, the higher you'll be able to kick.
4. Go through the motion VERY slowly over and over again... Slowly bring your leg up, slowly chamber, slowly extend, slowly rechamber, slowly bring your leg down. This helps with balance and technique.

Good luck. I'm still working with it too =o)
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Side Kick - 10/31/05 09:23 AM

Quote:

Hi, Im a 14 year old who just started Tae Kwon Do a week ago.

Im having problems doing side kick correctly. I go from free sparing stance, and take my back foot and step forward with it, putting it behind my front foot, heel facing twords target. then i just lift my knee up and thrust. This reall hurts my groin and inside leg tendons whenever I try and kick higher than my waist.

Am I doing it wrong, and if so, how do I correct it. I also have the same problem with spin Kick.

Hi, Wa!
I'm not a TKD stylist, but from your description and what I've seen of the art it doesn't seem like you're doing something grossly wrong. Odds are if you were, your instructor would've said something to you by now.
To me, it sounds like you're having the normal beginners' problems with that pesky kick.
The other guys have given you very good feedback. I can't think of anything further to add as practical advice. What I can add is that the side kick was the kick that gave me the most trouble to learn. It took me about 10 yrs. before it felt comfortable. Not that I couldn't do it, just that it was awkward and uncomfortable. Nowadays I do it without a thought.
I will add that I see very little reason to go high with this kick. The targets on which the side kick is effective are to be found at the highest point at sternum- brachial plexus level, and from there on down. So worry about stretching and achieving good form and never mind about going high.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Side Kick - 10/31/05 04:30 PM

One time I too asked the same question about a technique to my Sensei and his answer was, "did you practice the kick five hundred times yet"? If you did I'm sure you will work out all the bugs.
Posted by: tkdkid5282

Re: Side Kick - 10/31/05 11:52 PM

i worked 8 montes on this baby 2 times a week an hour ir mor for comp team practice,maser kim barely accepted perfect. first make sure to bring your leg up to your chest and turn you;r entire body sideways nbti just your elg. next shoot the leg out with a thrust of power...from hte hips not from the leg muscles and when you pull it back in..bring it back to the position you started in..do bnto brong you;re heel back to you're butt. Side kick is one of thoise things it just takes time to work on..just have fun woith it and do you;re best. good luck.
Posted by: tkdkid5282

Re: Side Kick - 10/31/05 11:53 PM

i can realte to you too..although i am a black belt...i am still younger them most people on the forum. girl..age 16

Re: Side Kick - 11/01/05 12:12 AM

Quote:

i worked 8 montes on this baby 2 times a week an hour ir mor for comp team practice,maser kim barely accepted perfect. first make sure to bring your leg up to your chest and turn you;r entire body sideways nbti just your elg. next shoot the leg out with a thrust of power...from hte hips not from the leg muscles and when you pull it back in..bring it back to the position you started in..do bnto brong you;re heel back to you're butt. Side kick is one of thoise things it just takes time to work on..just have fun woith it and do you;re best. good luck.

Dude!!! Spell check, PLEASE!!
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Side Kick - 11/01/05 01:05 AM

I've always said those auto-spellchecks are the bane of todays youth.....English teachers must be committing suicide at an incredible rate.

Re: Side Kick - 11/01/05 01:15 AM

I'd rather them use spell check than slop out this drivel, I can barely understand it.
Posted by: mrhubbs

Re: Side Kick - 11/01/05 02:21 PM

I'm an English teacher. I've been talked off of many a ledge as a result of my students' grammar, spelling, and puncutation. That and my sidekick isn't so hot either.
Posted by: WaTah

Re: Side Kick - 11/01/05 07:18 PM

When you guys say kick with your hip, Does that mean rotate it when you kick? When I try and do this My leg spins inward, dropping my knee, and rasing my heel. Is that how Im supposed to do it? Also, my stomach faces twords the floor when I do it this way.

Re: Side Kick - 11/02/05 01:31 AM

That's something I'm trying to figure out too... I've been experimenting to try and figure out what it means... and so far I've found that if I kind of thrust my hips forward, as I extend my leg, I get a little more power. I'm not sure if that's how I'm supposed to be doing it though.

Re: Side Kick - 11/02/05 02:13 AM

No offense, but have you asked your instructor?

Re: Side Kick - 11/02/05 05:46 PM

Not directly. About a week or two ago he told me not to worry about the power too much yet and just focus on the technique. He said after I get the technique down then I can worry about putting my hips into it.

and no offense taken.

Re: Side Kick - 11/03/05 01:06 AM

I can't really help you with the mechanics of the side kick, I'm sure others here can. But every style/school/teacher does it just a little bit different, the best way to learn would be to get one-on-one from your teacher, whether it be during your class, after, or during private study.

Only my opinion. Best of luck.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Side Kick - 11/03/05 02:36 AM

WahTah,

You are lacking in correct flex and muscle strength to throw the kick properly. Alignment for a TKD side kick is heel of supporting foot facing toward target, lined up with the hip, and these two (supporting heel and hip) lined up with the knife edge or heel of the striking foot.

When your knee drops down on your kicking leg and your torso/belly bends forward to accomodate the kick, basically you have not developed the right flexible musculature to support the kick. So your body does this form to allow some feasible presentation of the side kick, but without the sound structure you have incorrect posture and thus no power and hip thrust in the kick.

Practice and time will cure these ills. Also, when you are told the hip is not in the kick, this means you have already pushed your hip outward....usually at a slight angle...so that you have not reserved any of the "thrusting/ follow through" capacity of the kick in the hip placement. Sort of like punching but using an already extended arm and trying to hit with it. The capacity to generate power from the chamber is not there since the extension has already taken this away.

-B