Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?--

Posted by: Kujaku

Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 10/18/05 12:16 PM

Hey guys,

In my classes we do partner stretches for side-kick, Round Kick, and Front Kick. For Front kick, we put our leg on our partners shoulder and then hold the hand of the opposite shoulder than the one that our leg is on, and then they pull backwards to stretch us out. For side kick we do a similar motion, except for we are doing a side-kick. For round kick, the partner goes behind us and grabs our thigh and pulls backwards when we are in the roung kick motion. EX. I am round kicking with my right leg, my leg is not extended, they are behind me, put their right leg next to my left leg, and pull back on my thigh for three seconds.

Now, when I do these partner stretches, I can easily do all of my kicks to the head, I am not lacking in flexibility. But when I am sparring, or practicing my kicks on a wavemaster or other punching bags, I am unable to kick nearly as high as I am able to during partner stretches. I also have noticed that I cannot hold my kicks long if I am trying to hold them up higher than my waist. I do not have great balance, if you judged my balance form a 1 - 10, it would be around a 7. I realize that balance probably factors into my problem with kicking high, but I am wondering if the problem lies in strength? If anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be, and/or what I could do to fix it, please let me know. Thanks ^_^
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 10/18/05 04:25 PM

it could be your technique. the rule i was taught was that as long as you can keep your leg strait at angles (or useable angles) then the kick is as high as you can get you knee. your best off asking your instructor as they'll be able to analyse your kick and see your down fall.

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 10/18/05 04:43 PM

I see, I guess I might as well ask my instructor tonight at class. thx for your help
Posted by: Malachi

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 11/03/05 06:59 PM

Good question. I found that active kicking is different than static stretching (the stretch where you hold it or have a partner hold it) there is a variation I call dynamic stretching that is recognized in the field of sports physiology. Its simply moving the specific member in a motion that parallels the activity itself
Example: for a front kick, start with the kicking leg straight,swing it up, back down, and back to starting kick position. Start off easy, and build as your coordination improves. I've seen amazing results from doing dynamic stretching, not to mention the fact that your flexibility improves faster doing this method where kicking is concerned.

Personally, I think kicking flexibility involves more than just simple tendon and ligament flexibility. there is coordination of body parts involved, muscle strength to some degree (though muscle coordination I believe is a better term). that, and the simple law of physical training that the more the training resembles the actual activity, the more improvement you wil have in the activity itself.

a good book on this subject is Speed kickign by John M. Latourette. Hard to find, you might try his website. I think its thespeeddoctor.com, but don't quote me on this.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 11/10/05 10:56 PM

Quote:

I see, I guess I might as well ask my instructor tonight at class. thx for your help

Did you ask yet?
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 11/11/05 08:31 AM

There are different types of flexibiity. The partner stretches you described develop your static passive flexibility. For high kicks, you need to develop your dynamic active flexibility. Stretch by swinging the leg in the motion of the front kick, side kick and roundhouse. You needn't focus on power in the kick, because this is not a kick, it's a dynamic stretch. Make sure you don't just throw the leg up there and let if go - you'll pull a muscle that way. Rather, keep the leg under control at all stages of the upward and downward swing. For more on dynamic flexibility, see the stretching forum.
Strength and balance training will both help in developing your dynamic flexibility.
Posted by: Inyo

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 11/11/05 03:26 PM

Also, specifically thinking of side kicks, heigth is influenced by the strength of your lateral muscles down the trunk of your body (lats, to some people). In example, a lady in my system has full splits but can't kick much higher than her waist, becasue of this.

Wht we usually do to build lat strength is hold a high kick for a while. It develops like anything else. Either way, the best way to kick higher and better is to practice kicking, as long as you have the flexibility to not hurt yourself.

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 11/12/05 03:29 PM

Aye, thanks for the advice guys ^_^ I really appreciate it. I did ask my instructor, he told me to practice my kicks and try to hold them longer when i practice outside of class. I have also been doing Squats and Lunges more often to help strengthen my lower body. Hopefully I will see some improvement eventually ^_^ Its wierd tho, My Front kick is sometimes high enough to kick to the head, my RHK is more to the neck, and my Sidekick is to the chest...Its wierd that my front kick is the highest of them....eh ^_^
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 11/12/05 05:29 PM

Adductor flexibility

In a front kick, the flexibility needed is almost 100% hamstring.

In a roundhouse kick, you need adductor, hip flexor and oblique/latimus dorsi (to a degree) flexibility

Side kick requires adductor (to a majority) and hip flexor flexibility.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 12/09/05 12:35 AM

flexiability.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 12/11/05 02:13 AM

...but you realize that in the real world, you're better off kicking to low-line targets, right?

Of course, do as your instructor says...
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 12/27/05 12:36 AM

Please define for me how this "real world" differs from full contact sparring.
Posted by: dmsdc

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 01/01/06 08:49 AM

There's two kinds of stretch - passive and active.

Passive stretch is when you hoist your leg on top of your partner and they lift it up - so you don't use your muscles.

Active is when you can take your limb through a range of motion using your muscles and no outside influence.

One of the major things that decides how high your kicks go under your own steam is actually your core strength. So your abs, back muscles, hip flexors, lats, obliques, etc.

One basic training that helps to build core strengh and kicking is to have two people stand facing. Hold out a kick (say a side thrust kick) at a low level like the knee - but don't touch your partner, just use them as a target - and count up to 10. Switch and let your partner do the same. Then do a middle level kick (gut) and then as high as you can go with good form. (If you don't have a training partner handy - aim at a chair)

Work your way up from a count of 10 to a count of 30. Work all your major kicks (front, thrust, roundhouse)

So the first step is getting the strength to hold your technique out at full extension - then you'll need to train moving and striking a target (like a focus mitt) to coordinate your new strength with your balance and timing.

Then go back to your partner sets and see if you can pull off higher kicks.
Posted by: burby

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 01/01/06 11:24 AM

i assume he means that you dont have time to stretch in real world situations, + low line are less risky, shortest possible distance from target, and are just harder to read by non ma's.

all respect, burby
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Not able to Kick High --Not Strong Enough?-- - 02/08/06 06:42 PM

Quote:

Please define for me how this "real world" differs from full contact sparring.

In a training situation, to include full contact sparring, if your high kick gets grabbed and you wind up thrown to the ground, the opponent will more than likely stop things right there, for after all you're both dojo/kwoon/dojang mates. Also the instructor won't allow it to go beyond that.
In the UFC, after making yourself vulnerable by kicking high you might wind up thrown, grappled and submitted to a lock or choke. But the rules don't allow for more, and Big John McCarthy will be there to stop things from getting nasty.
In the real world, after making yourself vulnerable by kicking high you might wind up thrown, then your head or kidneys stomped or perhaps macerated with the odd brick lying about. Or maybe the guy's friends decide to play a game of soccer with your bod as the ball.
Is that definition enough?