How many practice the cutting hook techinque?

Posted by: Neko456

How many practice the cutting hook techinque? - 10/12/05 12:29 PM

How many practice the cutting hook punch techinque? I usually like to do it against a lead jab/strike (or right hand except you step away) leaving the hook punch. It is basically a deflecting block and strike in one motion. Either under or over the attacking arm, if you step away you don't have to make contact with the arm.

I was recently told by a Gung-fu Sifu that they stopped using that technique because it can be over powered. I argue that any technique can be countered and continue to use it and teach it.

Whats your take on this? Use it until the can stop it or stop using it because it maybe countered.
Posted by: naraebon

Re: How many practice the cutting hook techinque? - 10/13/05 08:10 AM

we do use a technique like this in the Wing Chun style I practise in (Austin Goh), a bent punch (elbow slightly to the outside) deflecting a punch and punching at the same time.

I think an answer exists, at least in theory, to every strike, kick, punch, style. So if you decide not to execute what in principle can be countered ... then what do you want to do ?

Nara Ebon
Posted by: Neko456

Re: How many practice the cutting hook techinque? - 10/14/05 12:19 PM

I agree thats my argument every techniques has a counter, so why stop using something thats working until they stop it, then youcan lure them into a counter for their counter.
Rarely does this happen in fighting but sometimes in sparring an equally skilled fighter, the counters can go for a volley and you step away admireing each others abilities. And it really becomes a chess game or Cat and Mouse, one mistake and you're looking up or down. The good thing its sparring and you can try it again and agai until youget right.

I agree with your explaination, I think Praying Mantis, Choy-Li-Fat, Kempo and may others system have this technique in it, wheather its known/taught or used is another matter.