The Body and Martial Arts

Posted by: RabidPigmy

The Body and Martial Arts - 10/11/05 01:00 AM

I heard an interesting theory that was espoused on another site. When a person asked the question, "Should I take on so-and-so?" the other person answered much to the effect that one should know their own body mechanics and anatomy well before really choosing. They added in that fathers put children into martial arts at an early age, because they have yet to develop. I mean, it makes sense in a way, because the swimmer works different muscles than the dancer, and thus promote a different physical build.

Is that clear? If not, I can always reference the post. It was a lot more concise than I can be. Anyway, the question is, does this really have affect on the choice of martial arts for someone who has physically developed already? (Example, frail old man takes up inverted martial arts rather than external. That's rather extreme, but I hope it gets the point across.) Has anyone ever taken this into consideration? What are your thoughts on it? And are there articles that address this topic?
Posted by: hawkfish

Re: The Body and Martial Arts - 10/24/05 08:26 PM

While I think that starting at an early age in any MA can make a person develop in to it in the long run, I feel that anyone, with the right mind set, can do the same.

I believe that the physical part is important but the right mental attitude will take you farther.
Posted by: RavenG4

Re: The Body and Martial Arts - 01/06/06 03:33 PM

Quote:

While I think that starting at an early age in any MA can make a person develop in to it in the long run, I feel that anyone, with the right mind set, can do the same.

I believe that the physical part is important but the right mental attitude will take you farther.

I agree. If you mind and "heart" is into the "style" you want to learn you will learn it much quicker and be more proficient in it.