reversed breathing ?

Posted by: infohungry

reversed breathing ? - 08/31/05 02:00 PM

hi my name is jon and for a wile now i have been trying to learn reversed breathing. i have read many comments on reversed breathing but no one has auctually said how to do a correct reversed breath! from what i have read from other discussions you can hurt your self if done improperly so i was woundering if some one could help me by telling me how to properly and correctly do a reversed breath or maby refer me to a book. or if anybody responds then maby they could tell me how they learned eather by a book or whatever!
i would greatly appreciate a responce but from somebody who knows what there talking about. because i dont want someone to tell me if they dont rely know themselfs.
thank you for anybody how responds
Posted by: JoelM

Re: reversed breathing ? - 08/31/05 11:29 PM

My recommendation would be to find a qualified instructor in your area. Good luck!
Posted by: icyduud

Re: reversed breathing ? - 12/30/05 10:06 AM

Yeah, I have tried that one. Isn't it the breathing that when you have to breath in you breath out and vice versa. It didnt work very well for me, because my face turned sort of blueish and it didnt feel so good. But maybe I did it wrong?
Posted by: Kosh

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/06/06 05:59 PM

If your face turned blue and you didn`t feel so good you were defenetly doing something wrong. Reverse breathing is basically when your abdomen contracts on inhale and expands on exhale.

Like JoelM said, it`s best to find an instructor. I don`t understand why you would want to learn reverse breathing if you don`t know what to do with it? I don`t think that reverse breathing all by itself has much (if any) good effects. I could be wrong though.
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/06/06 08:14 PM

Quote:

If your face turned blue and you didn`t feel so good you were defenetly doing something wrong. Reverse breathing is basically when your abdomen contracts on inhale and expands on exhale.

Like JoelM said, it`s best to find an instructor. I don`t understand why you would want to learn reverse breathing if you don`t know what to do with it? I don`t think that reverse breathing all by itself has much (if any) good effects. I could be wrong though.

Wouldnt that simply be breathing from your chest?
Matt
Posted by: eyrie

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/06/06 08:42 PM

On a basic level, perhaps. But there's more involved.

For some basic information regarding breathing methods in general, I would suggest Daniel Reid's "The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity", ISBN 0-671-65500-0.
Posted by: don_juan

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/06/06 09:55 PM

Quote:

I don`t think that reverse breathing all by itself has much (if any) good effects. I could be wrong though.

May it help with swimming?

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/07/06 03:48 AM

Hmm, I don`t know, I don`t see how. You`d probably have to be a very good swimmer to use it without problems anyway. I know for myself, that if I had to think about reverse breathing while swimming, I would drown.
Maybe someone else knows...
Posted by: don_juan

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/07/06 05:01 PM

O ya i never thought about that but just imagine if someone did master it. Swimming the whole time with out taking a breath.

Re: reversed breathing ? - 01/07/06 07:55 PM

Reverse breathing doesn`t mean that you hold your breath while doing it. You still breathe. Of course you can also hold your breath if you want to (if you have a purpose for it).
Posted by: aratatar

Re: reversed breathing ? - 03/08/06 10:22 AM

1st to know what you should be breathing with:
take a kitchen chair, sit on it comfortably, feet on the ground, knees together above your feet, lean forward - chest to your knees, have someone sit on your back, the heavier the better – RELAX, exhale
- you won't be able to breath with your chest
- you won't be able to breath with your stomach
+ you’ll get the feeling to breath with your waist

Practice this breathing in all situations – use your waist - will lower your point of gravity to your abdominal region - will make you calm and stable.

Stretch your spine – bottom goes down, hip turns back, chest up, chin back, crown up, shoulder down; no joint is ever extended to max, always keep a minimal curve.

Keep constant tension in your abdomen - increase it when breathing in, relax a bit when breathing out.

Be safe (keep proper distance) when breathing in, especially at maximum inhalation; act when breathing out. Keep breaths to minimum and at high frequency.

All must be comfortable, not overdone, not forced - first meditate, then do simple movements, then katas (for months, years, not just minutes!!!) - concentrate on breathing, find your rhythm, don’t suffocate, don’t wheeze, enjoy

Practicing zazen, kyudo, taichi and aikido helps with these.

Be patient, move when you must, dodge minimally, act once, but then act for good - it is all about timing.

When you'll get to perfection with this point you'll forget that you've ever wanted to fight at all - there's no need for it.

Keep practicing, allow yourself to fail, just keep starting over again.