"Pushing" side kick and "Ball" back kick

Posted by: PierrePressure

"Pushing" side kick and "Ball" back kick - 07/17/05 09:41 PM

I've been working on my side and back kicks for awhile now, and on both of them I have a problem that I'm really struggling to overcome.
On my side kicks, I've got this annoying problem when I'm working on a heavy bag. When my kick lands, instead of "kicking", it's like I'm "pushing". Am I too close? Or is my problem that I'm not refolding fast enough, so there's no snap?
Also, on my back kicks, I've been taught that you should strike with your heel. Unfortunately, when I'm going on a heavy bag, the ball of my foot hits first! What's the cause of this, and how can I improve?
Answers to either/both of these questions would be welcomed!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: "Pushing" side kick and "Ball" back kick - 07/17/05 11:03 PM

PP,

The problem is less with the mechanics of the kick, I think, especially if you have been given good instruction. However, it is time in practicing these things.

In other words, you are lacking fluidity and so probably break up the motion of the kick instead of allowing each section of the kick to run together so you reap the rewards of fluid technique and smooth transition of your momentum into the kick.

Remember, the basic mechanincs of a side kick and a back kick are the same. The turn on the back kick allows your body to transfer the technique more powerfully.

As for the ball of the foot thing, sometimes this happens when you are pushing the leg out to fast without training the foot to be in the proper position for heel placement.

My suggestion, work on it more slowly to emphasize technique and do not try to put huge power and speed into it until you have a smooth movement of the kick down.

-B
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: "Pushing" side kick and "Ball" back kick - 07/24/05 07:19 PM

Its all about having the right technique in this case. Don't start too high if you are not doing the technique as right as possible. Developing good side kick technique with both legs takes a bit longer than other kicks.
Posted by: CobraLionz

Re: "Pushing" side kick and "Ball" back kick - 10/07/05 05:44 PM

The key to a good side kick is a good chamber. If you do that right it should snap effortlessly.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: "Pushing" side kick and "Ball" back kick - 10/08/05 03:45 AM

Side-kick (Yoko-geri)

There's a running debate over which part of the foot makes contact for your side-kick - heel or edge-heel. I won't settle that here (it's your instructor's domain). I will give these 2 points that you can discuss w/ your instructor:
1) 1st prectice the side-kick w/o a bag to learn the snapping motion.
2) Then encorporate the hip so that it turns into the kicking direction.

Back-kick (Ushiro-geri)

In order to strike w/ your heel, pull your toes up toward your knee. Practice this by balancing on one foot, extending the other leg in front @ a downward angle. Now alternately point your toes & pull your toes back.

I teach 3 basic back-kicks but in order to master tham, you must do #1 (stationary back-kick) well.

> Raise your heel (as if you're trying to kick yourself in the butt) - not your knee. Extend you foot behind you being sure to turn a bit to look @ your intended target behind you. Keep your heel leading your foot.

That's about all I can offer on line. Keep it up.